Brancaster

scolopax

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going down the coast a few miles, the new marshes that N W T at Cley have just bought were once advertised as the best wild fowling marshes in this country . I have been up there on a winters day, not with a gun mind you, just a pair of binoculars and seen duck and geese coming off the sea non stop for the 3 or 4 hours I was up there. I think the nearest B A S C club there is Blakeney or Wells.......one way or the other its a cracking area..

The Shooting Rights to Brancaster Marsh are held by the Brancaster Wildfowlers, certainly around the Royal Golf Course, they can shoot there up until 0900 I believe, then again in the evening through Common Right, 6 days a week.

I used to shoot the adjacent marsh, the other side of the RSPB Titchwell Reserve, but the Kent boys have it now, but this is no place perhaps for ''sour grapes''.

I can still shoot Thornham Harbour Area. next to the Holme Reserve and the Kings Lynn Marsh, so we'll make this a whinge free missive.

There are a lot of duck about on occasion along the North Norfolk Coast and ever more Pinkfeet and Greylag, year on year, occasionally Canada Geese, but they aren't stupid and now the marsh is shot more heavily than ever it was by the locals, they fly HIGH. you need a North Wind or the knowledge of just where the flight-lines are, or be blooming lucky, but really, all 3 ...........plus not be susceptible to Goose Fever, to which many a Goose owes it's life.

I have an invite to shoot the Burnham Deepdale Marsh this coming season, as a guest of a member, (it's just along the coast from Brancaster), which I'm know is still lightly shot by purely local residents. I'm painfully aware that I got a Teal first morning last season at Thornham, my only shot of the day, my mate got 4 Mallard at Burnham............he hasn't stopped telling me about it yet, sigh and he has a 3 and a half inch Beretta Semi that I lust after...........maybe this isn't going to be entirely whinge free missive after all.

The Shooting Rights to Brancaster Marsh are held by the Brancaster Wildfowlers, certainly around the Royal Golf Course, they can shoot there up until 0900 I believe, then again in the evening through Common Right, 6 days a week.

I used to shoot the adjacent marsh, the other side of the RSPB Titchwell Reserve, but the Kent boys have it now, but this is no place perhaps for ''sour grapes''.

I can still shoot Thornham Harbour Area. next to the Holme Reserve and the Kings Lynn Marsh, so we'll make this a whinge free missive.

There are a lot of duck about on occasion along the North Norfolk Coast and ever more Pinkfeet and Greylag, year on year, occasionally Canada Geese, but they aren't stupid and now the marsh is shot more heavily than ever it was by the locals, they fly HIGH. you need a North Wind or the knowledge of just where the flight-lines are, or be blooming lucky, but really, all 3 ...........plus not be susceptible to Goose Fever, to which many a Goose owes it's life.

I have an invite to shoot the Burnham Deepdale Marsh this coming season, as a guest of a member, (it's just along the coast from Brancaster), which I'm know is still lightly shot by purely local residents. I'm painfully aware that I got a Teal first morning last season at Thornham, my only shot of the day, my mate got 4 Mallard at Burnham............he hasn't stopped telling me about it yet, sigh and he has a 3 and a half inch Beretta Semi that I lust after...........maybe this isn't going to be entirely whinge free missive after all.

Just glad you added Beretta ;)

I think they should be rounded up and send back to their own County and made to stop pinching other peoples marshes!

Edited by Big Mat

Apparently the Kent boys might not have it for too much longer, well that is what I have been told anyways.

I think they should be rounded up and send back to their own County and made to stop pinching other peoples marshes!

!

This is a sentiment I have trouble arguing with, they paid silly money for the rights, way beyond the local means of a 50 member Club. £15,000 I was told, if it had been a ''normal'' prices, £750-£1000 would've been about right.

Wildfowling isn't meant to cost as much as Game Shooting.

Their Secretary, Alan Jarrett, I can't help feeling his parents were siblings, but I shouldn't bad-mouth a fellow 'fowler, there's lots of others only too willing to do that without my help.

Apparently the Kent boys might not have it for too much longer, well that is what I have been told anyways.

If you hear anything of interest I'd be grateful if you could pass it on.

This has been going on so long now, it's hard too remember which way is up.

The latest is they're going back to Deeds or Papers etc. from the 18th stuffing century.

The RSPB aren't happy, I do know. We co-existed with them for years with no problems at all, used their car-park and entrance walk, I've often been stopped after Morning Flight to talk to Wardens and ''twitchers'', about how I've got on, nice people, no anti-shooting sentiment, but Kent have upset them in a big way.

So am I, next Post I'll Proof-Read with greater attention,lol.

Haha! Got a bit of a dirty mind so my fault really :) I do agree with the comments about kent, I know when I was in holbeach there was going to be some group bid for some land. Then a letter was sent and my interpretation of it was kent must of snuck in and hijacked the deal as somebody clearly stated in the letter he would NOT be voting for Alan Jarrett in some election and next thing you read in sporting shooter was Alan looking forward to trying new land in gedney drove end!

Didn't take long to have a moan.

Kent were not the highest bidders for the land in fact it was a private syndicate who were. It was offered to Thornham wildfowlers before anyone else the matter is that Thornham undervalued the land and in the eyes of the land owner found the offer offensive. If you think the land is only worth 750-1000 pounds in today's market then think again.

I am sure if you wanted to offer an acceptable amount then as a club you could of raised extra funds like other clubs do up and down the country and would of never found yourselves in this situation. The days of paying people a peppercorn fee for shooting rights are few and far between.

But I suspose you rather it be in the hands of a private syndicate or the rspb. Rather than a wildfowling club who will allow wildfowling to carry on, it is not like people from the local area can't go and shoot it any more the KWCA is not a shut up shop and encourages people from all counties to join a reap the benefits it has to offer.

The point is Thornham wildfowlers didn't loose the shooting because of kent wildfowlers. It was due to there own failings. the price of land is very expensive and shown by the other parties who were willing to pay more

It is sad that clubs loose land but you can always pay the membership fee and carry on.

Didn't take long to have a moan.

Kent were not the highest bidders for the land in fact it was a private syndicate who were. It was offered to Thornham wildfowlers before anyone else the matter is that Thornham undervalued the land and in the eyes of the land owner found the offer offensive. If you think the land is only worth 750-1000 pounds in today's market then think again.

I am sure if you wanted to offer an acceptable amount then as a club you could of raised extra funds like other clubs do up and down the country and would of never found yourselves in this situation. The days of paying people a peppercorn fee for shooting rights are few and far between.

But I suspose you rather it be in the hands of a private syndicate or the rspb. Rather than a wildfowling club who will allow wildfowling to carry on, it is not like people from the local area can't go and shoot it any more the KWCA is not a shut up shop and encourages people from all counties to join a reap the benefits it has to offer.

The point is Thornham wildfowlers didn't loose the shooting because of kent wildfowlers. It was due to there own failings. the price of land is very expensive and shown by the other parties who were willing to pay more

It is sad that clubs loose land but you can always pay the membership fee and carry on.

It seems I've caused offence, I certainly didn't mean to, least I hope I didn't. Wildfowlers have enough enemies, without each other. I think we can agree on that, if little else.

In the final analysis Thornham didn't lose shooting because of Kent, you're right, they lost it because less than 40 members couldn't raise £150K; I think calling that a failing might be a little harsh, but you'd know best.

The big kid in the playground came along and took the little kids sweeties, well, life's a miserable struggle, then you die, lol.

The RSPB never bid for the land, they weren't willing to pay £150k for the Shooting Rights for 10 years, that still left the Common Right Holders able to visit as they wished. I don't suppose you could buy the shared shooting in a garden shed in Kent for that, but it's a lot of money in Norfolk.

Like I said, no offence meant, I'm just a sad kid with no sweets, unless you've had a sympathy by-pass you've got to see it hurts.

The price Kent WA offered may be normal in Kent but until they came into the county there was no tradition of high rents and the land owners were happy to get a few hundred to a thousand pounds for their “ worthless “ marshes. Kent WA soon changed their mind and now my club is going to have to pay a lot more for its ground , which in turn means I am going to have to pay higher subs. Thank you very much Kent WA.

All I can say to any club in East Anglia who has ground is coming up for lease renewal, beware we have a viper in our ranks.

You are not winging BOB just telling the truth.

Edited by anser2

The price Kent WA offered may be normal in Kent but until they came into the county there was no tradition of high rents and the land owners were happy to get a few hundred to a thousand pounds for their worthless marshes. Kent WA soon changed their mind and now my club is going to have to pay a lot more for its ground , which in turn means I am going to have to pay higher subs. Thank you very much Kent WA.

All I can say to any club in East Anglia who has ground is coming up for lease renewal, beware we have a viper in our ranks.

You are not winging BOB just telling the truth.

How can you point the finger of blame on one club for the increase of rents. When there are many private syndicates who pay or are willing to pay vast sums of money for shooting.

Land prices have increased over the past few years so clubs which have had shooting on a long term lease, which is coming up for renewal will in most case have to expect to pay more, this is not solely down to KWCA.

It seems I've caused offence, I certainly didn't mean to, least I hope I didn't. Wildfowlers have enough enemies, without each other. I think we can agree on that, if little else.

In the final analysis Thornham didn't lose shooting because of Kent, you're right, they lost it because less than 40 members couldn't raise £150K; I think calling that a failing might be a little harsh, but you'd know best.

The big kid in the playground came along and took the little kids sweeties, well, life's a miserable struggle, then you die, lol.

The RSPB never bid for the land, they weren't willing to pay £150k for the Shooting Rights for 10 years, that still left the Common Right Holders able to visit as they wished. I don't suppose you could buy the shared shooting in a garden shed in Kent for that, but it's a lot of money in Norfolk.

Like I said, no offence meant, I'm just a sad kid with no sweets, unless you've had a sympathy by-pass you've got to see it hurts.

No offence taken. Like you said we are all wildfowlers and have enough enemies to deal with.

I understand that it may not be the done thing to buy land from fellow fowling clubs. Just not cricket... But for a club to be held solemnly responsible for taking shooting away from a local club just because they can I can't agree with. If you look at the whole picture KWCA were not the highest or anywhere near the highest bidders for the shooting but were preferred as they are a club and not a private.

If the RSPB could they would have it and make it a reserve to go along with titchwell and ban all shooting with the exception of commons right holders.

You're right, my apologies, I'm old, whinging is all I've got left, well, that and the pensions, sorry mate, I'll try harder in future, lol.

No need for apologies fella, with 50 yrs experience I feel you have soooo much more positive things to offer, this kent buying up land issue gets brought up every summer, and ends up nasty. Enjoyed your post in the good days on the marsh thread though

Barls , you have it very wrong, there are not many syndicates willing to pay a high premium for wildfowling coastal marshes. One or two in the county, there always have been , but not many. The overall impact they have had on wildfowling leases has been very small. True an odd syndicate may pay a high rent for a wildfowling marsh , but as there are so few , if any waiting in the wings for new ground ( almost all already have their ground ) they have little impact on shooting rents.

In contrast Kent WA offered silly money for Thornham marsh it caught the interest of local landowners in a way no syndicate could because the landowners know Kent WA is in the market for more land. When a syndicate leases ground usualy thats it and they are not looking to expand. Some clubs holding much larger marshes that Thornham are paying less than £500 a year for it a fraction of what Kent offered and with small memberships cannot compete with some super club with very deep pockets.

The recent increase is solely because of Kent WA interest in the area and not any syndicate. KENT WA must take all the blame for costing local wildfowlers a lot more money that would be the case if they had kept to their own local area.

I was born in Kent but live in Norfolk , but I have no interest in taking any shooting in Kent so why does Kent WA want to price me out of my shooting. To me the whole affare smacks of greede , pure and simple greed.

Edited by anser2