CLA game fair or unfair?

12boreblue

Just looking at my CLA Game fair brochure and doing some maths!

Now, is it me or are these 'fairs' and 'shows' getting just a tad too expensive?

I was planning on taking the family down. Now, working on going for the Sat and Sun, me the missus and the kids will cost me £42 admin, to camp overnight Sat I think (if I have got it right from the website) is another £90. Then fuel £40, food etc for 4 £50-60. So before I 'spend' a penny on kit or watch an event, I will have laid out in the region of £220-230. I could of course go for one day, but that just isn't long enough to take it all in, and I don't want to drive home absolutely shattered with my kids in the car!!

So let's assume a budget of £100 for purchases, no new gun, no bulk cartridges etc, that weekend is going to be £350+

I also reckon that the traders lay out so much for pitches that the days of discounts and deals have all but gone.

So why don't I put that money toward the annual holiday, and support my local gun shop and my local clay shoot?

would be interested in other opinions as I have decided not to attend.

Cheers

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it depends on why you go. If you want bargains spend time on the internet because you won't find any at the CLA, it's too expensive to exhibit there for the traders to be giving stuff away.

But for me it's a great spectacle and a great social, something to do every three or four years... and most definitely NOT with the kids LOL.

Last visit 5 years ago,very samey year on year,cost £65 for basic food,drink and admission.Too expensive !

From what I`ve read ,the French seem to run a much better event for a far more reasonable cost.

Ripoff Britain strikes again !

I exhibited there a couple of years ago (I sell cheese) and the rent for an 8 foot pitch was £900 so no, you probably won't be getting any great discounts.

Shame really as it is probably the only time a lot of people can get face to face with the owners of the companies that they buy from online etc.

we usually go to the midland,the camping there worked out expensive so we camped down the road on farm campsite.it made for a nice break,but not being on the showground we only had one day at the show.i think if the camping/caravan prices were cheaper more folk would go for more than a day.

Its is the COUNTRY LAND OWNERS association!

Just don't go, vote with your feet. The cost of any kind of overnight stay either camping or hotel is huge so i might not even go even though i have tickets. Plenty of folk will though and thats tourism for you.

I can see where your coming from but many stall holders are struggling at the minute and if we don't support them what happens ? do we all buy off the internet and lose the 1 to 1 contact we have built up over the years ?

Maybe the stall holders need to make the move not us ?

I'm going. Booked a cheap hotel for the night before. Get the breakfast on the morning of the game fair. Travel the last bit of the journey after breakfast. Take your own food with you if you think you will need something on the daytime as we already know the food is stupidly priced. Gives you a chance to view products before you buy, compare the prices to the online price and buy as you save postage costs. It's worth going as I like to watch the international gundog competition and other bits like the exhibition clay shooting etc. I think it's a good day out. You don't get much for your money now. Try going to a good restaurant or sporting events.

Yorkshire Game Fair at Newby Hall the other week, £8 for a wrap with a bit of limp salad. I also have a wife and two kids to feed, £32 for 4 of them ! I just point blank refused to pay and went hungry.

We used to love the fairs but at that sort of cost i just cant see us going any more. Shame as its the youngsters who should benefit most from these things and get interested in country sports ?

Met a fella that has a stall there, he is worried he will not make any money, his reason is the cost of the pitch, which he states is ridiculous. He can't put his prices up or he just won't make enough sales. And what makes it worse is that if the fair is cancelled or closed due to bad weather, they get no compensation, or return on their pitch fees. Seems the organisers are on a win-win situation.

I will wait until the costs start coming down, and if we don't go.... they will!!

Wow! Just heard that a pitch at the Horse of the Year Show is £10k.... does anyone know if that is true?

Edited by 12boreblue

It's a stupid amount of money to pay to go shopping and as has been said, there are no bargains that make up for the expenditure as the stall holders are being financially strangled by the oranisers.

I'd gladly let the thing die if it meant that some of the other "Game Fairs" - the laughable rubbish that the Robin Hood Country Show people put on - tried a little harder and actually put stuff there that we wanted to see and do rather than the crabby knights of the round table and the annoying motorcyle display team alongside rows of home improvement stalls.

If you do it to meet up with old pals, save your money and spend it on a weekend away with them somewhere where you can eat, drink and sleep well and less expensively.

I think everyone enjoys visiting the fairs but for the last few years I just we are getting ripped off more & more every year.

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had gone to the big game fair at Chambord in France.

After some good feedback I've now used some Tesco vouchers & got a return Chunnel crossing for £8.

Official game fair campsite 8km down the road with all facilities including pool-£18 a night!

3 days pass £20, yes £20 for all 3 days.

Campsite gives us priority car access or we can hire a bike & ride there.

Long weekend here we come.

Will get pics & report back.

Steve & Alex

I'm sure if they reduce the entry fees more people may attend. What is wrong with charging £20 for a family ticket I particularly like to take my family out for the day but I don't like getting ripped off just to walk through a gate so I can spend more money

It's a stupid amount of money to pay to go shopping and as has been said, there are no bargains that make up for the expenditure as the stall holders are being financially strangled by the oranisers.

I'd gladly let the thing die if it meant that some of the other "Game Fairs" - the laughable rubbish that the Robin Hood Country Show people put on - tried a little harder and actually put stuff there that we wanted to see and do rather than the crabby knights of the round table and the annoying motorcyle display team alongside rows of home improvement stalls.

If you do it to meet up with old pals, save your money and spend it on a weekend away with them somewhere where you can eat, drink and sleep well and less expensively.

+1 Never a truer word spoken. I looked in to prices because I am after some new optics. I'm better off having a word and a look elsewhere. If the CLA aren't careful the whole thing will fall flat on it's ********.

Oh and I forgot. There is a recession going on.

+1 Never a truer word spoken. I looked in to prices because I am after some new optics. I'm better off having a word and a look elsewhere. If the CLA aren't careful the whole thing will fall flat on it's ********.

Oh and I forgot. There is a recession going on.

Not if you`re one of the loaded crew !

Used to love going to the Game Fair but the last few were just very expensive tented bazaars for posh ******.