CLA game fair or unfair?

12boreblue

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will either be the CLA or the midland for me,im leaning towards the CLA as the midland seems to attract our traveling friends..

Mate of mine has a clothing stand at both, hates the Midland as most of the boots start running off by themselves... with the trousers and jackets in hot pursuit!

I went the last time it was at Harewood,

Cracking weather, although with it being in a bowl, if it's hot it's HOT, no cooling breeze

Queues for the shooting are horrendous which is why I dont shoot at gamefairs anymore,

By the time you have shot you don't have enough time to see the fair

:shaun:

The Cla game fair is at Harewood house Leeds next year.

I stand corrected, can't see any explanation why though, found an old newspaper article from 2012 when it was cancelled and it said it would return in 2015 then found something from the countryside alliance confirming what you said

Queues for the shooting are horrendous which is why I dont shoot at gamefairs anymore,

By the time you have shot you don't have enough time to see the fair

I have never understood why people lug a gun to THE game fair where everything is on display in every country sport ever devised. The layouts maybe fantastic but the length of those queues is daunting. By the time you take the entrance fee into account it must be a very dear round.

I go to the game fair to watch other people - not to provide the entertainment.

On the other hand if all the clayers are standing in a queue in means more room on the showground for the rest of us. :)

I have been to a few events in the last five years and to be honest I spent more on food, entrance fee and fuel than I did on shooting gear. Do not get me wrong there was some lovely kit but when one of the traders told me it was cheaper on his on-line store that at the show I thought was I thought what was the point.

Yes it is great to meet people, chat to them in person, see new ideas, watch some great displays, see crafts men at work and get up close to some nice kit but at these prices I don't think so.

However, The Cambridge Show at Wimpole this year was great value - not a huge show but entrance fee's were really low, a real family event, more about farming and the countryside and little shooting but a great day out. Last weekend was the Cambridge Town and Country show which is free to enter. Again more about general country stuff and no shooting but a great day out with some great food stalls...... even bagged a few bargains :-)

Think the big problem with shows is the interet has ruined it.

If u come from a rural area with only a few small gun shops which only have a limited stock u would wait all year and save ur money to go to the game fair to buy wot u needed. And it was also the shops big selling event too, so put lots of cheap offers on. The midland being the last used to be well renowned for the ammount of deals as all shops wanted rid of all there game fair stock, now u just put it online

Now with the internet i can order stuff now that could be at my door tomorrow at a stupidly low price don't even have to drive anywhere or worry about shop hors after u finish work.

I'm actually surprised so many stalls go to the fairs as the price they pay really is ridiculasly high for wot they get, would be surprised if many actually make any money now and just go for PR advertising

I have never understood why people lug a gun to THE game fair where everything is on display in every country sport ever devised. The layouts maybe fantastic but the length of those queues is daunting. By the time you take the entrance fee into account it must be a very dear round.

I go to the game fair to watch other people - not to provide the entertainment.

On the other hand if all the clayers are standing in a queue in means more room on the showground for the rest of us. :)

It was mainly when I first really got into clay shooting and would use any excuse to get the gun out.

I soon learned my lesson :)

It was mainly when I first really got into clay shooting and would use any excuse to get the gun out.

I soon learned my lesson :)

Me too.

Luckily I have a superb clay ground just up the road so don't need to haul my shotties all over the country.

Maybe as others have said , treat it as a day out . I used to go football a lot . Typical day could be £40 for a ticket ,£15 on travel & £20-£30 on food & drink for the day in the pub before & after match . You don't have to buy while there , but you then get to see the goods in the flesh . Also some shooters on different forums use game fairs as a chance to put names to faces that they may have communicated to through the internet over the years .

For me, it's just a day out with friends, in the sun (if you are lucky) maybe have a few beers and a bit of a mooch about.

You can see new stuff and try things on if you like, but if you just want to go shopping don't waste your time/money that is what the internet is for, amongst others ;)

A mooch about is the best idea. :good:

We have the Royal Norfolk Show 25th & 26th June which is a mile up the road from me. http://royalnorfolkshow.co.uk/

The BASC have been known to cook some venison which is free rather than dear (deer?) :/

This show is more about tractors, combines and sugar beet harvesters and beer and cider tents though. There is a "main ring" for foreigners as well. :lol:

I don't know why people keep going to these country fairs . Same old things . A fortune to get in ,a fortune for a car park ,a hassle to out out again and the worse food you can pay good money for . They are nothing but a glorious rip off . I learned my lesson years ago and don't go to any at all .

Harnser

I'm going with my wife a few mates an am really looking forward to the day out.

And to top it of if most of you are not going it will be a bit quieter hahah

I almost died in a car crash a few weeks ago and now have the attitude life is for living so I'm getting as much in as I can !

I spent the whole day at the last Blenheim one looking for a Bargain Maxus in FAC, they all had them but wouldnt budge on prices, i gave up in the end and called Eastern sporting, saved myself over £150!!!

BUT I have found some good bargains, got a pair of Seeland keepers trousers £65 and some Seeland polo shirts £15 each, tried out a few new guns, did a few clays and walked the dogs till thier feet were falling off lol.

I still enjoy it but it is dear and as Fatcat says the rest are pants

Guest topshot_2k

I dont think its that expensive at all for a day out, £22 is pretty cheap compared to going cinema for couple of hours or a football match. I treat it as a day out rather than a bargain hunt, nice to wander around and see things in the flesh that Im considering buying, decent food and drink in food village and get to meet some interesting people. Plus I though it was a lot better last year with fewer stands that have nothing to do with the countryside.

I don't go to game fairs for the purpose of finding a bargain or even with the intent of buying anything; it's just a day out to me. A mooch about with a couple of likeminded mates, meeting like minded people and watching women in jodphurs. What's not to like?