First brood English

Out today putting bait out for foxes and saw my 1st brood of English of this season 21 little bumble bee sized chicks with mum and day, only just hatched today, always makes me smile and makes all the hard work worth while. Don't know how every1 else is getting on this season but this way of the world seem good at the moment, seen some lovely broods of pheasants. Few people I've spoken to are saying the same. Fingers crossed with the weather!! Rich.

had a sparrowhawk kill one of my precious few wild English hens at the start of May. And then since then there has been some tremendous storms and one period of 30 hours of continuous rain. I am rather hoping the partridge are still sat on eggs!

Only once had the pleasure of seeing English chicks, and they were a few days old. They seem to keep well hidden until the harvest, must be all the sparrowhawks!

Saw some nice broods of Mallards and Canada Geese. Some pheasant broods the end of last month but in the last couple of weeks we have had some terrible storms. Was out last night and saw lots of hens on their own :sad1:. We only have a few English partridge in our area and I did see a male last night, he was reluctant to leave so hopefully a hen was sitting nearby?

Got some lovely clutche of carrion crows, magpies, sparrowhawks and buzzards in our area now ( god help us! ) Seriously, nothing heartens me like seeing a family of wild Greys. Every field had a covey or two when I was young , even had the priveledge of shooting them driven, there's nothing like it. Look after yours Rich, they deserve an armed guard ! :)

• 4 weeks later...

So far this is the best wild year I have known in 15+ years! got loads pheasants and English done well! French partridges never do that great for some reason but seen a few broods. Looking forward to getting harvest out the way so I can see what is really on the ground. Get my reared birds on August 1st so busy times ahead!