Mirokou mk70 game 30inch barrels ??

greenshank1

Folk worry far too much about barrel length for my liking. Find a gun that fits well and stick to that. I like to use 3 1/2" steel shells for the geese so I use that as a basis for narrowing gun options down.

Hate to think how many birds I've shot in the last few years with my over-bored maxus ;) and that's a 26" barrel because I found that the best fit.

1) find gun that fits

2) chose appropriate cartridges

Sorted.

Just curious as to what you mean about over-bored?

Regards

H

Some of what has been posted is most interesting, I have shot varying barrel lengths in 12 bore shotguns from 34" down to 13" they all have their place and purpose.

For clays, I use a 32" Barreled O/U, for Pigeons from the hide it is a Semi-Auto with a 24" Barrel.

The 13" Barrel was on a Browning A5 and was using Eley 32 gramme 6s and had sufficient oomph to reload the weapon.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

• 2 weeks later...

George Digweed uses a 32" fixed choke 3/4 & full for all his shooting Game and clays I bet he'd pick the Gauntlett up and go "Woodcock" shooting?....if people are really interested in the guns workings at either end, why not read "Chris CRADDOCKS" Gun Lore books?..he was a main authority on all guns from a collectors point of view and from a "Gunsmiths" as well for all his life and you will find even he says that barrel length has no effect on the pattern!...that comes down to the type of cartridge choke and wad combination you choose...you basically pick the gun that handles well for yourself, that is your stature and arm length which will dictate what length barrel and gun weight you feel comfortable with.

one person is using a full choked 34" perazzi and the other is using a 28" full choked perazzi, both are using 40 thou of choke, with identical cartridges and their muzzles are level when both guns are fired.....how can the longer barrel's throw a better pattern?....does the cartridge realise its in a longer gun and act differently?...I think not, a simple mathematics x physics x engineering problem easily solved!

its not a Dig, just common sense!...atb...Dale.

Edited by DerbyshireDale.

They over-bore the barrel "H" so it does'nt cause as much damage to the shot and is a little easier on the shoulder if your firing off lots of shots, as it was designed with lead cartridges in mind(competition) !...the more perfect the pellets are when they leave the Barrel the less flyers you have and your meant to get a better pattern?...but if your going to squeeze them through a full choke when they reach the muzzle end doesnt that defeat the object?..I realise there is less pressure behind the shot/wad...but it gives you food for thought?....This is one area where a 10 Bore scores over a 12 Bore, using steel shot, the larger Bore diameter of a 10g .775 as opposed to .729 for a 12g allows easier passage up the bore and less restriction even at the choked end, that coupled with more powder = faster and heavier pay loads = better patterns. As all shotguns use the same size shot variations..the bigger the bore and exit = less deformed pellets = better patterns.

best wishes ...Dale.

Edited by DerbyshireDale.