The Glorious 16th

Lampwick

I think it lost a lot of its magic when stillwater fishing was allowed all year round.

I always looked forward to the 16th as a lad as it also happened to be my birthday so , I would normally get some shiny new tackle to try out !

It has lost some of the magic yes but you can't beat a nice bit of river fishing.

I love stalking the bank, targeting a fish getting it or not and moving on!

Had a stroll along my stretch of The Lark last week and saw a few chub that have my name on them!

Smashing day gents. It was real jungle fishing, having to hack my way to the waters edge, through nettles, brambles and Himalayan balsam down the steep bank to the river. It was a combination of steady glides, pools, eddies and gravel runs, but it's only a small river that far up, you can touch the far bank with the rod tip on some stretches! Lobworm tail, drilled bullet, 4lb line straight through on the quiver. Half a dozen chub, biggest just under 3lb. A couple of minnows and gudgeon to boot, and a 1lb plus perch lost at the net! Re ignited my passion for river fishing. And as a bonus I had a kingfisher sitting opposite me on a branch overhanging the river, watching me trying to catch. Magic!

Smashing day gents. It was real jungle fishing, having to hack my way to the waters edge, through nettles, brambles and Himalayan balsam down the steep bank to the river. It was a combination of steady glides, pools, eddies and gravel runs, but it's only a small river that far up, you can touch the far bank with the rod tip on some stretches! Lobworm tail, drilled bullet, 4lb line straight through on the quiver. Half a dozen chub, biggest just under 3lb. A couple of minnows and gudgeon to boot, and a 1lb plus perch lost at the net! Re ignited my passion for river fishing. And as a bonus I had a kingfisher sitting opposite me on a branch overhanging the river, watching me trying to catch. Magic!

Sounds great!

I did manage an hour in the early evening with my son.

We had 6 Chublets, two Roach about 6oz each and a 10oz Perch, that had him hopping about!!

All caught on single maggot with his whip!

Cheers