chairman of BASC

LONERANGER

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

In theory his position of power is governed by the members

His job is to represent us call meetings to order and use his vote only in the event of a tie

I hope he will remember his job as chairman and not abuse the privalaged position he holds

However as history has shown this is proberably not going to happen

Greed is a dangerous thing

Anyway just my thoughts

All the best

Of

How then did he obtain sufficient votes?

Was he not Chairman before ?

What, if anything, do you want (are going) to do about it?

I am avoiding being critical of BASC, since I shall no longer be a member after this year.

That could well change if the 'prospect of change' became more of a reality but until Members actually DO SOMETHING nothing will change.

My chance of getting involved and changing anything is miniscule since I am just a member but I would try and change BASC because we need it to be strong, representative and respected, that needs change not more of the same.

It's good news that a Wildfowler is in charge of BASC, but did it have to be this one?

I confess, I share Konnies fears over lease information, as, perhaps, should anyone who relies on one for their sport.

Leaving aside if you support Kents attitude on lease acquisition, people must own that they have an hunger for shooting rights.

He's the boss there, and now at BASC too.

I find it hard to believe BASC would tolerate their associations privileged knowledge/data/information being used by an individual for any club's private or individuals personal advantage/gain!? Is not such privileged information the property of BASC? and therefore protected by laws regarding intellectual property?

How then did he obtain sufficient votes?

Was he not Chairman before ?

What, if anything, do you want (are going) to do about it?

I am avoiding being critical of BASC, since I shall no longer be a member after this year.

That could well change if the 'prospect of change' became more of a reality but until Members actually DO SOMETHING nothing will change.

My chance of getting involved and changing anything is miniscule since I am just a member but I would try and change BASC because we need it to be strong, representative and respected, that needs change not more of the same.

He was voted in as chair by the council, not the members vote.

I was asking why he was voted on to Council - if he is not quite the person wildfowlers would hope for. I do not know AJ or MH for that matter but each was voted on by members or by default of members. Having been Chairman before, was his likely becoming Chairman not a factor in voting him on to Council?

I do know Alan,we started Wildfowling together some 40 years ago in what was the old KWA.Although moving away from Kent in the late 80s we have kept in touch.

When I left Kent the KWA was in a desperate state with some members breaking away and forming a rival club-the shooting rights became fragmented and IMHO had it not been for Alan becoming Chairman much of those shooting rights would be long gone!.

Yes the guy is ruthless in his business dealings,but also as people have discovered he is nobodies fool,the fact that he holds a high position in local goverment and continues year on year with increased votes tells me that even the non shooting electorate value his contribution and TRUST him.

At a time when we continue to fear more pressure on our ancient sport then give me a chairman who has proved over many years that he has a real passion for wildfowling and will fight tooth and nail to protect it.

And yes of course I can understand high feelings from those who feel he has stolen shooting from ,,but just sometimes the bigger picture reflects on the whole wildfowling community,whether that be a large club or like my own small club with few members-we all fear the pressure from the anti shooting factions that continue to gather momentum,BASC is still our best weapon and with a WILDFOWLING chairman who will fight to protect our sport I personally feel content that its in safe hands.

Hes trodden on peoples toes and ****** them off, but you cant say that he doesn't have the ability to run an organisation or chair a committee.

The best thing that BASC can do at present for wildfowling is the land purchase scheme. Like or loathe him... he gets land bought

Do he council actually have much influence over rents/leases and land deals?

Would imagine they will be guiding policies but would it not fall to the full time Basc employee's to do most of the work. Would imagine there comitee time is fairly precious to deal with day to day thinga and a lot will go on in between comitee meetings.

Wildfowling clubs, shooting rights and leases have been a mess for years. There are constant posts from guys wanting to get onto some English Wildfowling but cant on their local marsh because its dead mens boots requiring a letter from God and a 20year wait, unless your the newborn grandson of the founder (even if you might never raise a gun your name is next on the list) not all of it even getting much pressure and pressure can be handled by spreading out the allocation on specific marshes.

One thing is sure Wildfowlers will fight among themselves when no fight is to be had. Jarret lead the move to land acquisition within Kent wildfowlers and the holding is now very large, sure some small bunches who kept productive marsh all to a select bunch lost out- not too far back fowling below the high water mark was a given right of all remember, ownership is a mute point if you take that standpoint.

So we complain about BASC not supporting Wildfowlers on the Greylag then................

Hi to all, I have just joined the Forum and find some very disappointing comments on this thread and the Brancaster one which I will also be commenting on. I work with Alan Jarrett on almost a daily basis on behalf of KWCA. Despite the comments being made by some I can say that Alan would not knowingly do any harm to Wildfowling or any other club. He along with myself and others on the KWCA Committee firmly believe we lead the fight to keep the sport alive and strong for future generations. It is very easy to insult people who are genuinely trying to help, often these insults are based on rumour and innuendo rather than fact and truth. I am one of the first points of contact for KWCA and I am continually taking calls from prospective members and yes landowners along with other clubs. These clubs usually want to ask if we are able to assist them in some way or other, or occasionally to ask if we are interested in a piece of land that they are interested in. I can't discuss confidential club business, but I can say that we have been approached three times by clubs in the last month, one asking for help and two asking if we were interested in particular areas of land coming up for purchase and lease. After discussions with those clubs we were able to offer help in the first case and assure the other two that we would not compete against them for the land because we were confident in their ability to lead on these areas. Anyone who fears the KWCA is greatly mistaken. We will only step in if we are directy approached by a club, land agent or owner wishing to talk to us or the land is on the open market and only then after careful consideration. Greed is not on the agenda, saving land being lost to shooting is. We have on occasions been accused of not talking to other clubs, I ask, is it any wonder when whatever we try to do ends with us or our officers being slated by many who ought to know better, even using direct insults concerning Alan's parents. Please try to remember we are fighting the same corner and instead of fighting us, try and join / support us in the real fight which is loss of land from the shooting world. If it disappears we are all up the creek! Alan has BASC Chairman along with Richard Ali our new CEO and all of the members of Council will insure that BASC moves forward in this modern world we now find ourselves in and rest assured no breach of confidence concerning leases or loans or ownership or anything else will happen. I don't suppose for one minute the diehards will believe me, but give the team a chance to succeed, and as I have already said be prepared to engage the real and dangerous enemy of the anti and conservation groups who would stop our wonderful sport given half a chance.

From a local perspective its your southern club who is causing problems for many clubs and individual fowlers in Norfolk not the RSPB mainly from the huge amounts of money you seem to be able to pay for shooting ground that in turn is pushing up the cost of wildfowling for all.

If they kept within their local boundaries good luck to the club , but I fail to see why they would want to buy wildfowling ground in other areas of the country to the detriment to local clubs. I can see a future where if you want to go wildfowling in southern England you will have to pay a large increase in shooting fees and be a member of Kent WA. We do not need the RSPB we already have an enemy within.

The RSPB at the Titchwell Reserve, were always polite and interested in how I had got on at Flight. Surprising perhaps, but the simple truth.

I've said elsewhere, I used their car-park and their entrance path. I had no right too, they just knew the marsh was lightly shot, by locals and were tolerant.

Such is not the case now Kent have taken over.

As Anser says, from the local perspective, it's the huge amounts of money drifting upwards that's the problem, not the RSPB.

If as kent claim they did not step in until Thornham had lost the land, what went wrong with thornham not sorting the lease with the landowner before hand. I cannot believe that wildfowlers think t a wildfowling club is more of a threat to wildfowling than a conservation org that has and continues to buy up land and stop or heavily restrict shooting on the land.

You can join the club for £240 pounds(discount for oldies), you were offered pheasants for £1000 a season so great value for money I reckon.

If a club gets things wrong in its first couple of seasons it can look at how to improve things for the benefit of the birds and its members, if the land is lost to others its lost for ever.

I have to travel to Scotland to get close to pinks I'm glad the locals I bump into don't share the same attitude as some on here.

If Kent have tried to get fowling through the backdoor by using a conservation group as cover then that is a totally different matter and needs to be looked into.

If as kent claim they did not step in until Thornham had lost the land, what went wrong with thornham not sorting the lease with the landowner before hand. I cannot believe that wildfowlers think t a wildfowling club is more of a threat to wildfowling than a conservation org that has and continues to buy up land and stop or heavily restrict shooting on the land.

You can join the club for £240 pounds(discount for oldies), you were offered pheasants for £1000 a season so great value for money I reckon.

If a club gets things wrong in its first couple of seasons it can look at how to improve things for the benefit of the birds and its members, if the land is lost to others its lost for ever.

I have to travel to Scotland to get close to pinks I'm glad the locals I bump into don't share the same attitude as some on here.

If Kent have tried to get fowling through the backdoor by using a conservation group as cover then that is a totally different matter and needs to be looked into.

As all ready posted by DNT KWCA were approached once Thornham has lost the shooting.

Thornham had been informed well before the lease was up for renewal that they will be expected to pay more for the rights if they wish to continue shooting. what they offered for the shooting was found to be offensive/derisory and had no reflection of the real value in today's markets.

Then KWCA were approached by a third party to see if they were interested. At the same time there was an active interest from other shooting syndicates.

Kwca were not the highest bidders for the shooting but were preferred due to fact that they are an open club who will give the opportunity to others to enjoy the shooting. And it would still be open to the local who have shot it over a number of years.

Thornham wildfowlers then pointed the finger at the Kwca for taking over the shooting, but in true fact it was there own down fall and mis-management which was their issue not KWCA or the land owner.

It's easy to say well we can't afford to compete with clubs like Kent but there is help out there for clubs to purchase or lease land, but it doesn't help if your not affiliated to an organisation such as BASC or another who will advise and give legal help where and when required.

Something is worth what somebody will pay for it! I can see how living so close to London etc can effect the prices paid for recreational land for all uses and agree its better in the hands of a large wildfowling club than lost forever to wildfowling. If Kent was an exclusive, expensive or unobtainable membership club or one with a very long waiting list then I could understand the issue more