Badger, badger, badger.....

BountyHunter

We went out last night and had a very (for me) successful evening bagging 5 rabbits, well bagging 4, the 5th being the subject of this thread.

My nephew and I rounded a hillock and spotted a lone bunny sat grazing on a bank about 30 yds out, I went down on a knee, lined up and took the bunny out lovely and clean; he just dropped to the point I thought I had missed. I reloaded to take a second shot but the bunny was gone so assumed that he had scarpered. Once I had returned to the place Nick was standing he said the the rabbit had dropped where it was but had been scooped up almost instantly by a badger that ran out of the hedge and off with my prize in one smooth action. I though he was pulling my leg until as we walked up the course I picked up a badger in my lamp carrying guess what? A bunny. It was pretty funny to watch as he kept tripping over the rabbit and dropping it as he was trying to get out of the lamp light. I was just wondering if this is common practice? Foxes I can understand but I always thought badgers preferred mushrooms or snakes... (apologies for the obscure final reference, if you know what I mean then you'll know; if not just ignore that part)....

I was driving back from lamping the other day and there were two badgers on the road in front of us. The car ahead had slowed down to let them get out of the way and the smaller badger turned round and had a go at him! Wouldn't like to meet one in a bad mood

Badgers have been known to attack humans - they will eat anything. Here they have taken nearly 2 dozen chickens, moles caught in traps, rabbits I have left out, any fruit, damsons, apples, victoria plums and been through the food waste several times.

Badgers are big rats and just as unlovely in my opinion. Putting them on the GL would make absolute sense.

Big Weasels.

Badgers have been known to attack humans - they will eat anything. Here they have taken nearly 2 dozen chickens, moles caught in traps, rabbits I have left out, any fruit, damsons, apples, victoria plums and been through the food waste several times.
Badgers are big rats and just as unlovely in my opinion. Putting them on the GL would make absolute sense.

I was driving back from lamping the other day and there were two badgers on the road in front of us. The car ahead had slowed down to let them get out of the way and the smaller badger turned round and had a go at him! Wouldn't like to meet one in a bad mood

i was out lamping a few weeks ago and met one in a bad mood back arched and grunting at me i fired my lr into the ground about 2ft in front of it and it didn't budge luckily i had an escape route or it could of been nasty turns out it was protecting young

colin

I was told that durring the war when there was a real shortage of meat that badger was smoked and was classed as badger ham. I've never known anyone do this but It's only meat so it might be really nice (Road kill). I have eaten Squirrel and that was ok. Cant remember what it was like (possibly chicken). I hadn't been told it was squirrel until I had eaten it though.

it,s a pity the world food shortage couldnt be reduced with sweet n sour badger or badger tikka masaala or stir fry badger n cous cous i think any farmer whose lost his cow,s to TB would pay u to supply the main course to the starving of the world

I was told that durring the war when there was a real shortage of meat that badger was smoked and was classed as badger ham. I've never known anyone do this but It's only meat so it might be really nice (Road kill). I have eaten Squirrel and that was ok. Cant remember what it was like (possibly chicken). I hadn't been told it was squirrel until I had eaten it though.

I thought the meat was suppossed to be really 'strong' which is why you never see badger roadkill with birds on it?...at least I'm sure I've never seen a crow etc. on a dead badger..!?!

I thought the meat was suppossed to be really 'strong' which is why you never see badger roadkill with birds on it?...at least I'm sure I've never seen a crow etc. on a dead badger..!?!

Who eats it to know what it tastes like?

They did hang it up chimneys to wood smoke it.

As far as I can see if it's meat someone somewhere must have eaten it. My Father was out in the jungles of Burma in ww2 and they ate snakes, lizards, iguanas and monkeys because they had no food and were starving. most of the stuff that kept the troops going wasn't exactly surloin steak.

Edited by fortune

As far as I can see if it's meat someone somewhere must have eaten it. My Father was out in the jungles of Burma in ww2 and they ate snakes, lizards, iguanas and monkeys because they had no food and were starving. most of the stuff that kept the troops going wasn't exactly surloin steak.

I was interested to know rather than having a pop! I've heard anecdotes about badger hams but also that carrion eaters won't touch them.

Iguana is very tasty. Tastes like chicken, unsurprisingly

I seem to remember that's what Father said.

I was interested to know rather than having a pop! I've heard anecdotes about badger hams but also that carrion eaters won't touch them.

I didn't read any offence in you post it was just a reply to the effect of >> If no one eats it, then who knows what it tastes like.

was your dad with Wingates Chindits ???