Canada geese

Ironage

Hey all! Need some advice!

Having trouble with Canada Geese at the moment & there making a right mess! I understand you have to use non toxic cartridges ec, but not 100% sure when I am allowed to shoot them is there a time of year! or is there another licence I have to apply for as I no it's already on the general liceance, & forgot to say I am in the UK.

Any advice will be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Here we go ah again .. Leave them till the season Start's .. There is other methods you can use .. Murdering them out of season with young is not a done thing in any wildfowlers mind ......

Edited to say it's not a dig at you personally ... But I think this topic keeps coming up and .. I will say all us Fowler's are just about peed off with it now .. With what's. Going on over already ..

Edited by washwildfowler

Here we go ah again .. Leave them till the season Start's .. There is other methods you can use .. Murdering them out of season with young is not a done thing in any wildfowlers mind ......

Edited to say it's not a dig at you personally ... But I think this topic keeps coming up and .. I will say all us Fowler's are just about peed off with it now .. With what's. Going on over already ..

Agreed , there is plenty of time in the year to control them without doing it while they are breeding.

As above not aimed at you personally but too many just shoot them because they can rather than because they need to.

Not happy with the shooter of today :sad1:

Is it the fault of the 'shooter of today' ? If a shooter with permission to shoot on a certain piece of land is asked by the owner of that permission to get rid of the geese, and it's perfectly legal to do so, then where does that leave the shooter? Surely the fault lies elsewhere.

Very quick to have a go at people sometimes about this question that rears its head but at least the op had the good grace to come on here and ask for help and advice.

As said try to deter them by being a nuisance to them as they will be breeding.

Figgy

Is it the fault of the 'shooter of today' ? If a shooter with permission to shoot on a certain piece of land is asked by the owner of that permission to get rid of the geese, and it's perfectly legal to do so, then where does that leave the shooter? Surely the fault lies elsewhere.

Yes it is firstly for not sorting the problem before it was occurring (if applicable permission was in place) secondly for allowing our shooting orgs to ask and allow for such things.

To give you a direct situation that occurred with myself ,i suggested to a local landowner it might be an idea to get on top of some geese during the season and offered my services, it was refused but thats fine. However come spring time they were as i predicted a problem and the Landowner wanted them all gone, literally kill all you can fill your boots stuff and I was approached asked then refused. Wasn't being peevish but it was his mis management that created the issue, a few birds in winter would have reduced or practically negated the spring summer requirement as the geese became aware of the threat. Simply a guy has to have some personal standards of right and wrong, ok the geese were not spared there is always someone else but my conscious was clear, the law and those who support it are then those who have to answer for their actions.

There are certain situations were Birds should be killed in the breeding time, the above wasn't one of them I could justify

Yes it is firstly for not sorting the problem before it was occurring (if applicable permission was in place) secondly for allowing our shooting orgs to ask and allow for such things.

To give you a direct situation that occurred with myself ,i suggested to a local landowner it might be an idea to get on top of some geese during the season and offered my services, it was refused but thats fine. However come spring time they were as i predicted a problem and the Landowner wanted them all gone, literally kill all you can fill your boots stuff and I was approached asked then refused. Wasn't being peevish but it was his mis management that created the issue, a few birds in winter would have reduced or practically negated the spring summer requirement as the geese became aware of the threat. Simply a guy has to have some personal standards of right and wrong, ok the geese were not spared there is always someone else but my conscious was clear, the law and those who support it are then those who have to answer for their actions.

There are certain situations were Birds should be killed in the breeding time, the above wasn't one of them I could justify

Well there you go then; it wasn't the fault of the shooter in the case you've highlighted, but the fault of the landowner. Did the landowner get someone else to do the business? Not many landowners I know care two hoots about the 'done thing'.

Personal standards are ok for those who can afford to be picky, and hold certain species in reverence, but I doubt many of us have morals about the destruction of rats whether they're breeding or otherwise, and the health and damage issues they cause.

Maybe the lobbying of those who are responsible for allowing the killing of geese all year round should be stepped up; there must be some reason there is no close season.

Some pest controllers have a job to do.

Edited by Scully

Well there you go then; it wasn't the fault of the shooter in the case you've highlighted, but the fault of the landowner. Did the landowner get someone else to do the business? Not many landowners I know care two hoots about the 'done thing'.

Personal standards are ok for those who can afford to be picky, and hold certain species in reverence, but I doubt many of us have morals about the destruction of rats whether they're breeding or otherwise, and the health and damage issues they cause.

Maybe the lobbying of those who are responsible for allowing the killing of geese all year round should be stepped up; there must be some reason there is no close season.

Some pest controllers have a job to do.

You miss a lot of the point here, some of what you ask is already written in the post. Pro- pesters have a simple job to do they should be exempt from this discussion.

Yes, those who aint fussed about doing the right thing can get someone else

The reason for all close season culling of those birds and mammals that previously had a season is mainly mis management but tinged with greed

Stepping up the call for all year killing backs up the first statement about shooters of today, that's sad - perhaps they are more suited to targets or play stations? I don't know, just know I despair about our future

end off the day if it needs doing go and do it if not leave them alone till the season people saying bad managment or should be done in the season how do any of you know the geese were using this particular area during the season i regularly see geese at this time of the year were they never are through the season meself i wouldnt do it unless there was a very good reason other people doing it with good reason i have no problem with

That mess is fantastic fertiliser, should have sorted the problem before they had young waiting IMO. Not happy with the shooter of today :sad1:

The shooter of today? What about all the shooters of yester year who would bag hundreds of geese in a day? And not of the alien species either...?

You miss a lot of the point here, some of what you ask is already written in the post. Pro- pesters have a simple job to do they should be exempt from this discussion.

Yes, those who aint fussed about doing the right thing can get someone else

The reason for all close season culling of those birds and mammals that previously had a season is mainly mis management but tinged with greed

Stepping up the call for all year killing backs up the first statement about shooters of today, that's sad - perhaps they are more suited to targets or play stations? I don't know, just know I despair about our future

I don't think I've missed the point at all. You are disparaging in your comments of the 'shooter of today', and yet it's not illegal to shoot Canadas out of season, and if there is money to be made from this then it will be exploited by someone, as is the norm. Are shooters to blame for this or should it be our lack of will to oppose proposed conditions or legislation?

Who has stepped up the 'call for all year killings' as you put it? Is this the shooters or those organisations which bring about the legislation? Are the people responsible for 'mis-management' and 'greed' the same people who create the conditions?

You're not the only one who despairs for our future, but for different reasons.

I agree with Kent , the morals of some shooters today and indeed some in BASC and CA are questionable to say the least. I was always taught do not kill game in the breeding season and its a rule I stick to today. Even with pigeons I leave them alone during the main breeding season. There is no reason to kill geese out of season if they have been managed correctly. If anyone does have a problem a few scare rockets will do a far more effective job than shooting. I know its within the law to shoot canadas at this time , but that still does not make it right. Any sportsman worth a light would not even consider it. To say its being done for pest control in most cases is pure rubbish , these morons do it because they enjoy it. Quite apart from the ethics of shooting canadas while they are breeding killing them while they have baby goslings tarnishes the opinon of all shooters in the eye of the public , something to be avaided at all costs.

Edited by anser2

I am a wildfowler through and through so my views on shooting geese out of season so to speak will be obvious. What I would like to see is all the toss about todays shooters stop. I am a todays shooter as is everyone else still shooting.

There has always been greedy selfish shooters, the same goes for high shooting, poaching and money making shooters. Read the old books, fowlers complaining about this that and the other, I would say todays shooters on the whole are far more controlled than yester year shooters. Far to many high horses appearing in todays shooters.

If it's been left to the point they have nested, what happens to the 'baby goslings' when 'scare rockets' are deployed?

It may be morally wrong in the eyes of many, but as I've said, if there is money to be made then legally there is nothing to stop anyone. My reasoning is that if it's legal then the shooters can't be blamed for exploiting monetary gain simply because others morals are offended. Rather than blame shooters perhaps those opposed should blame those responsible for the legislation and do their utmost to have it changed.

We're a great nation (and shooters no less so) for doing a lot of complaining about aspects of our lives which we're unhappy about, but then doing nothing about it.

I'm not saying i like shooting geese out of season but I would if any of the farmers I shoot for ask me too. The farmers do not pay me for pest control nor do I pay them but we help each other out where and when we can . Again I do not like shooting anything out of their shooting seasons but why do people feel so much more for goslings and breeding geese when you look on sporting pictures and all you see are vixens and cubs with big wholes in them or a good bag of bunnies which half are milky or carrying young . One mans game can be another mans vermin.

Edited by jayDT10

As i always say on here, You have all the time in the world in winter to control vermin but on here you are told I don't know what I am talking about, i can't drive around the permission excuses. Summer hunters who you don't see in winter.

Get on top of things in the winter and you are not chasing the young in the summer. That's the difference in todays shooters that don't like the cold.

Get on top of things in the winter and you are not chasing the young in the summer. That's the difference in todays shooters that don't like the cold.

That does seem to be the case sometimes Richie10.

I saw a guy wondering about on one of the farms last winter when we were shooting over rape. I went over and asked if I could help him, we ended up discussing crop protection and to my surprise he was one of the neighbouring farmers. He said how frustrating it was for him because the guys that shot his farm were only interested in the warm weather over the stubble, he never saw them in the winter. Needless to say another farm added to our portfolio.

As i always say on here, You have all the time in the world in winter to control vermin but on here you are told I don't know what I am talking about, i can't drive around the permission excuses. Summer hunters who you don't see in winter.

and how do you no that the geese were using this field or farm or even that area during the season for the op to control them hard to reduce number when there not there during the season that are causing problems now

Edited by ian g

but why do people feel so much more for goslings and breeding geese .

If you do not know the answer to that question then you will never be a wildfowler.

I am a wildfowler and have never shot anything out of season. Im just saying that if they are causing somone trouble financially why should they be any different to foxes rabbits and pigeons. They are on the GL for a reason . I'm sure if anything was causing you a great financial loss you'd want it sorted ASAP .