head gasket

darren m

Depends where it has failed. White smoke means water jacket has failed and is entering cylinder. Blue smoke means oil is leaking into cylinder.

Symptoms - change in exhaust colour, over heating, sluggish motor.

Blue smoke in a diesel can also be indicative of the bores wearing or a broken piston ring letting oil into the cylinder ' black smoke is over fuelling ,

right - got a slight leak on my trooper 3.1, but only when i turn the engine off , i cant identifiy where its coming from accept its in the direction of the front of the head , theres lots of pipe there etc so really can see.

only leaks when engine warm and turned off , no other symptoms as yet , thats why i was asking , running and starting ok .

i thought i saw a few bubbles in the header tank , but after looking again on various occasions nothing . it is only a singel pipe header like a rad overflow.

right - got a slight leak on my trooper 3.1, but only when i turn the engine off , i cant identifiy where its coming from accept its in the direction of the front of the head , theres lots of pipe there etc so really can see.

only leaks when engine warm and turned off , no other symptoms as yet , thats why i was asking , running and starting ok .

i thought i saw a few bubbles in the header tank , but after looking again on various occasions nothing . it is only a singel pipe header like a rad overflow.

Overflow pipe from the radiator expansion tank or condensate hose from the AC ( if you use it) the entire cooling system is pressurised when hot and running so the leak should be more noticeable with the engine running than not Edited by Twistedsanity

was hoping water pump but its dripping on the back of the caseing not down the front where you would think if it was water pump.

it only drips when the engine is warm / hot but soon as turned off it starts , while engine is running its holding - strange , i just cant tell for sure where its from , i,ll probabley have to start stripping it down just to find the damn thing

Modern water pumps have a ceramic seal which only works when the engine is hot, on most cars as the engine cools you get a dribble which is usually contained within the front of the pump in purpose designed reservoir . That's why you sometimes get the smell of coolant as you leave the car. It's a design feature.

Just check if you have any significant water loss if not it may be this so just monitor.

right found it using a mirror and torch

well it looks like the caseing where the waterpump attaches too right at the very top, but not i dont think the actual pump its self.

i think you call it a crank case or timing case gasket , i could be wrong and god i hope i am .

it got wet on the back side of the pump but further back than the edge of the pump casing.

dont suppose anyones done anything like this on a trooper

was hoping water pump but its dripping on the back of the caseing not down the front where you would think if it was water pump.

it only drips when the engine is warm / hot but soon as turned off it starts , while engine is running its holding - strange , i just cant tell for sure where its from , i,ll probabley have to start stripping it down just to find the damn thing

come on do the decent thing and man up and strip it all down...........we are here to help :good: