A couple of hours on the river this morning

oscarsdad

After an early start (after quite a late night after we had a good win yesterday playing cricket) I got to the river for about 0730.

It was my intention to fly fish for pike but when I arrived it was clear that this was not going to work as the undergrowth was much more significant than when I last fished there a few years ago...luckily I had put my little 5ft ultralight spinning rod in as well.

I love this sort of fishing as all I had was a small box of ultralight lures, rod, landing net and unhooking gear...no lugging loads of kit.

First cast produced this lovely little chublet...

IMG_20140622_080808.jpg

A pair of stunning kingfishers flashed past me as I was unhooking him as well which was lovely to see.

A string of similar chublets followed, all putting up a good account for themselve on the light gear as the casting weight of the rod is 1-3g.

I wandered upstream towards with weir having a few casts in fishing looking swims on the way and managed a couple of little jacks.

On reaching the weir I crossed the lock to fish from the island and missed a couple of takes on the edge of fast water...I decided to cast across the pool and let the current take the little floating plug under an over hanging tree before stating the retrieve...BANG...little rod has a much much bigger bend in it and line is being taken.

I was convinced this was a bigger pike from the weight of it but after some slow but powerful runs I saw the fish and realised it was a chub...a really nice sized fish...

IMG_20140622_090710.jpg

IMG_20140622_090703.jpg

That net is 19" wide so it's a reasonable bruiser of a chub to land on that little rod.

Then a load of lads from "the cheshire cheese angling club" turned up in their old Italian job style coach to fish a match and it had warmed up a lot so I decided to head home for breakfast.

6 chub and a couple of pike not bad for just over 2 hours fishing though. Looking forward to my next session, hopefully on the fly.

Edited by oscarsdad

Nice bag for a couple of hours,well done.

I had a walk with my dog and a spinning rod and only using the small gold with red stripe spoon managed to land 3 fish.all perch 2 about 6-8 ounce and 1 we'll on the way to 1lb so well happy.don't think it helped with the dog in the river but he enjoyed it.

Atb

Fielddweller

Oscarsdad - do you not think a small role up unhooking mat would be useful, not much more to carry and very light? Got to be better than laying fish on the mud.

After an early start (after quite a late night after we had a good win yesterday playing cricket) I got to the river for about 0730.

It was my intention to fly fish for pike but when I arrived it was clear that this was not going to work as the undergrowth was much more significant than when I last fished there a few years ago...luckily I had put my little 5ft ultralight spinning rod in as well.

I love this sort of fishing as all I had was a small box of ultralight lures, rod, landing net and unhooking gear...no lugging loads of kit.

First cast produced this lovely little chublet...

IMG_20140622_080808.jpg

A pair of stunning kingfishers flashed past me as I was unhooking him as well which was lovely to see.

A string of similar chublets followed, all putting up a good account for themselve on the light gear as the casting weight of the rod is 1-3g.

I wandered upstream towards with weir having a few casts in fishing looking swims on the way and managed a couple of little jacks.

On reaching the weir I crossed the lock to fish from the island and missed a couple of takes on the edge of fast water...I decided to cast across the pool and let the current take the little floating plug under an over hanging tree before stating the retrieve...BANG...little rod has a much much bigger bend in it and line is being taken.

I was convinced this was a bigger pike from the weight of it but after some slow but powerful runs I saw the fish and realised it was a chub...a really nice sized fish...

IMG_20140622_090710.jpg

IMG_20140622_090703.jpg

That net is 19" wide so it's a reasonable bruiser of a chub to land on that little rod.

Then a load of lads from "the cheshire cheese angling club" turned up in their old Italian job style coach to fish a match and it had warmed up a lot so I decided to head home for breakfast.

6 chub and a couple of pike not bad for just over 2 hours fishing though. Looking forward to my next session, hopefully on the fly.

Oscarsdad - do you not think a small role up unhooking mat would be useful, not much more to carry and very light? Got to be better than laying fish on the mud.

I don't think it is necessary for that venue -that chub is laid on sand not mud so no chance of damaging it...my fish are looked after a lot better than those chucked in keep nets by the match anglers on that stretch.

I do have an unhooking mat which I use at other venues.

Edited by oscarsdad

• 2 weeks later...