Have I got everything?

jamez79

Hi,

I'm a novice and would like advice on what other "essential" kit I need for my first outing...

I've got a dozen pigeon decoys and a crow, poles, netting, whirler and battery and decoys, working on a seat. Gun, cartridges, trusty springer spaniel, flask and lunch for me and my pooch, got clothing and hat, bag to carry kit and pigeons (if I get any), knife. Bag for empty cartridges.

Anything else that's glaringly obvious that I've missed? Would rather take too much and leave it in the pick up than realise I'm missing something essential and spoil my first day.

Oh, and deep heat for my poor old back after lugging it around the field! :-)

Maybe something to set up dead birds as decoys wooden barbecue skewers are good or you could cut some from the hedges.

Cradles are good for taller crops or you could use bamboo canes like this picture. Other than that you should be ok. if it's likely to be warm take plenty of fresh water for the dog.

good luck

post-57269-0-41583500-1403443823_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

Good idea! Thanks for that. I've got some barbeque skewers in the cupboard I'll pack them now.

Will definitely take lots of water for the dog.

I've been looking for a seat. I've got a cheap fold up jobby but its a bit low. I'd like the barrel with the swivel seat on top but it probably won't arrive in time.

I've got to the stage now where I don't worry too much about the fly eggs. Most of the pigeons I shoot go into the freezer as soon as possible, so there isn't any chance of the eggs hatching. If I'm selling them fresh, I'll give them a good check before they go in.

I like to keep stuff to a minimum because it is damn hard work dragging a load of stuff through a standing crop. Sometimes if you are lucky you can drive reasonably close but usually to get somewhere under a line or two that is a fallen bit of crop can be a bit of a distance. My kit is contained in a plastic drum that carries 3 hide sticks, 2 6x4 nets and 6 semi shells slotted together and a string operated flapper. This drum is hand carried and when empty doubles up as my seat. On my back is a net bag, in which are about ten full bodied decoys, a couple carrot net sacks to put the birds in and keep the fly off. Also there is a chunk of hessian that bricklayers use over new brickwork which has been random sprayed Black / Green. I sometimes use this as a backing in the hedge behind the hide or over the top to give some shade if it is possible by using a length of cord and any available branch or stick cut out the hedge. Over the shoulder I have a large game bag which carries anything else. Food, liquid X2, fold up saw / knife, 100 cartridges, small first aid kit, length of string, small plastic container for dog water/food, anti mozzy spray. waist belt for 25 cartrs +25 in various pockets. The bottle of juice for me and the water for the dog are put in the freezer overnight so that by the time we want them they are still fairly cool if kept in the bag in the shade + note on back door so that I don't forget them. nothing worse than hot water and the dog wont drink it. That's about it and it is a struggle with that lot.

Last thing note on door to check all including dog onboard before I go, as once I got to the field unloaded everything only to find that I had left the gun back in the kitchen SO I had to reload everything, go back home and start all over again.

This is where your reconnaissance comes in because sometimes you set up and nothing comes near so you got to decamp and move it all again. And we call it sport.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I went on Thursday for a half day. I'd watched the field I was shooting on and think i'd identified the flight lines. It was the area of the field where most of the birds crossed. I only got 4 for about 8-10 shots, I found that they didn't seem to come close enough. Some of the ones that came in to have a look, turned away before they got near.

I have bought a "job lot" of kit of a friend who has long retired and I discovered that the poles weren't up to the job and were a struggle to drive I to the solid ground. I've bought new poles! As a result of the poles not being in the ground properly to hold the weight of the net, my hide left a bit to be desired and this may have been why the pigeons turned away?

The area where I set up, was under the canopy of trees so I didn't have much to my back which again probate didn't help with being hidden. I'll have to buy some more netting. What do you recommend?

Thanks

James

Two stealth nets can be very versatile.

If you're setting up against a thin backdrop you can double/triple up using one of them on the back and use the other for sides and front.

These are also lightweight and fold down quite small

Paul Hart does the best quality ones in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a cheep tin of fly spray and spray the dead birds you intend to use or eat this will keep flys off your birds and covering wont stop them swetting it will make them worse you need plenty of air around them to help cool them. I use the long white canes they use for test spraying on crops cut in half , inserted up the **** of the bird going through the body, up the throat and into the head . They stand quite high depending on how far you can get the stick in the ground. They bob in the wind quite nicely too .

All the best on your adventures. Ezi