Recoil... Ongoing issues

HDAV

SO having got into to trap shooting and having helped to swell the pot... I have an issue, the day of the shoot is fine but 24-36 hours later i have real pain in shoulder and neck.... now it could be unrelated to shooting or aggravated by it not sure. Gun fit is reasonable, gun has trap recoil pad (miroku) and i have a Reactar pad in my vest, shooting a mix of express power blue and hull superfast.

Shot 50 yesterday and now in real discomfort and getting worse.

My options as i see it are:

1: stop shooting :(

2: shoot softer shells

3:try some anti recoil options starting with an isis green pad and running upto a full isis/PFS.....

Now anything i have missed?

Oh and before anyone suggests it, it isnt my Juan King arm............. (I only shoot left handed)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

Shoot love velocity or low weight.

Try low recoil shells trainer loafs or the intnl 24g loads.

Fast shells are not recoil friendly.

See an osteopath or GP and get a medical opinion.

Might do that, dont hold much hope for GP tbh...

If you haven't got a neck or shoulder issue get your gun fit looked at you know a good man on trap gunfit in the West Country.

If that's not the issue try the 24 gr option.

Been and seen him its as good as it will get unless i go for an adjustable comb, never had this before the last 6 months but is getting worse.

Edited by HDAV

Might do that, dont hold much hope for GP tbh... Been and seen him its as good as it will get unless i go for an adjustable comb, never had this before the last 6 months but is getting worse.

Try an osteopath - they can offer good advice and therapies. They won't break the bank either. In parallel to that, insist that your GP give you a referral to a consultant. You may well wait, but they can X-ray or MRI and find out what's going on. Never ignore pain like that - you could end up much worse!

Try an osteopath - they can offer good advice and therapies. They won't break the bank either. In parallel to that, insist that your GP give you a referral to a consultant. You may well wait, but they can X-ray or MRI and find out what's going on. Never ignore pain like that - you could end up much worse!

Good advice, I know of an osteopath so will get an appointment and take it from there I have a fortnight of no shooting so will take the opportunity to see how it goes.

I find superfasts very punchy,

I am recoil sensitive to a point so I switched to 21g comp X.....never had any bother since

People laff at light loads sayin there are not manly enough/dont pattern well/cant hit long range targets

horses for courses, my cartridges let me shoot so I use them.......

:shaun:

Try a semi auto to reduce the recoil.

You could put a soft lambs wool pad in your shoulder for trap, some of the Olympic trap shooters have this type of stuff.

You can be fine for years then recoil can affect you as you age, flinching is another recoil problem that's hard to get over.

Try a slow cart of 24g or the 21g comp x.

Atb figgy

Does any other type of shooting give you the pain, such as gun down disciplines?

If not its gun fit, and too punchy shells, if you are adapting to the gun rather than the gun fitting it can give some serious pain problems, too much cast can be a major for shoulder and neck pain, the gun slaps you about, a parallel comb and also moving the comb across instead of casting the stock can make a big difference, as can your stance and mount.

Go and see a reputable coach and get checked out, if the gun doesnt come to exactly same place with an eyes closed mount, 100% of the time, it doesnt fit..

Have you tried different guns I have guns that are animals with some cartridges yet others that are fine with the same cartridge.i put some 36gram through a diamond pigeon and it kicked like hell yet the same cartridge through a dt10 was absolutely fine.so many factors come into play with shooting.atb

I think I'll swap back to my sporter next time out it may be the fit of the trap gun it's not quite enough cast at the face/comb for me so would need an adjustable comb fitted (reputable coach).

Osteopath booked for tomorrow .......

Edited by HDAV

I think I'll swap back to my sporter next time out it may be the fit of the trap gun it's not quite enough cast at the face/comb for me so would need an adjustable comb fitted (reputable coach).

Osteopath booked for tomorrow .......

Everything has to be right if you're in any way recoil sensitive so agreed things like fit, cartridge speed and shot weight and even the way you mount may have a bearing but two things I would get done either way is to change the pad on your Miroku for something like a Green Pad, thicker the better and preferably get some sort of recoil reducer device and again Recoil Systems Isis is pretty damn good although if you're prepared to shell out up to £7-800 and import from the US there are better versions available. The standard Mirook Trap pads offer little more than reduce the risk of accidentally slipping the gun being basic agricultural rubber at the end of the day.

One thing that almost always gets overlooked is the role that the cheek has to play in absorbing a certain amount of recoil, in your case it could very well be that just that little bit too much is being transmitted through to your neck causing problems. Dave Izzard at RS also do a floating comb design which in essence allows the gun to free-recoil beneath your face. The very best US systems also have this as the option 2 of their designs; 1 being the standard buffer built into the stock to absorb the rearward shock of the pad/movement, 2 includes the said comb conversion. It will also pay to wrap the comb in a thin sheet of sorbothane which can be bought in 3mm 5/6mm thicknesses, it doesn't sound much but it will have a marked effect on the overall package. Remember if a 3mm pad could make a 10% reduction in cheek, hence neck trauma/fatigue with one cartridge then it will do so with a 100 cartridges which may well add up to place you in the comfort threshold.

Finally don't be afraid to add weight to your Trap gun, it's not like you'll be carrying it for miles, in the US where they shoot mainly Trap targets some of the better guys have guns between 11 to 13 lbs! That will make a serious difference to the guns recoil cycle.

After many years of shooting and never suffering from recoil (as my dear old mother used to say "where there is no sense ,then there is no feeling ") I started to get head aches and sever neck pains when out shooting . The pain was so bad I thought that I may have to give up shooting . To cut a long storey short I bought a Urika 2 with the kick off system . I never ever get a head ache when using the gun and have on a couple of occations shot over 200 shells in a session at pigeons . Without a doubt the smoothest gun I have ever shot . No recoil at all ,just a gentle shove in the shoulder , fabulous gun .

Harnser

Hopefully a chat with Dave @ Isis and/or ostoeo will get you on the right track or at least give you a pointer in the right direction to help.

Problem is that the recoil may only be aggravating something else that would need sorting first... Diagnosis thro crowd sourcing may be a bit like gun fit by the net ...

Good luck with it .