Discovery TD5 air suspension ?

Dbw1shrops

Hi all I've had a problem with my passenger side air bag going down it doesn't happen all of the time ! I've been and had it on the diagnostic but it come back with ride height sensor so this was replaced but it wasn't that long ago I replaced this as I broke it going over some rape stubble anyway long story short it's still going down ! Any thoughts oh wise PW massive ??? Thanks

Dave

Try covering the airbag in soapy and watch for bubbles/leaks when it is in it's highest setting. A leaky air bag is the first place to look.

Personally i would consider an air bag to coil spring conversion, not big money and puts an end to niggly suspension problems.

ps Did you get the headlight issue sorted.?

Try covering the airbag in soapy and watch for bubbles/leaks when it is in it's highest setting. A leaky air bag is the first place to look.

Personally i would consider an air bag to coil spring conversion, not big money and puts an end to niggly suspension problems.

ps Did you get the headlight issue sorted.?

Do it quick before it knackers the compressor (£300). Air suspension FAR superior ride to coil, poss insurance implications etc

Hi aga man I would rather stick with the air bags as I think it gives a much better ride off road or so I've heard, plus the fact you can raise them for use off road. That is a brill idea about raising it and the soapy water top tip 👍 I'm takin kit back to salop 4x4 tomorrow to put it back on the Diag again free of charge this time as last time cost me £105 with Diag ride height sensor and fitting ! But I'm sure they won't find the problem other than process of elimination at my expense, but i might give soapy water a go before I take it. I haven't sorted the lights as yet but they are in the top 3 of the next to do list lol

Atb Dave

No probs dave, worth a try with the soapy water, each to there own with the different suspension, i have driven both on and off road and although there is a difference i didn't feel it was hugely different.

Good point about the insurance though spanj i didn't think of that!

Mine does that fairly regularly. Its the ride height sensor playing up when the connectors get wet and dirty. Its invariably the nearside that sinks on mine. I'm binning my bags and putting on a 2" lift kit. The only ride difference I know of is springs, especially high lift, tend to roll more in corners on the road because the air bags detect rolling and pump up the inside bag to level the ride. It isn't enough to worry about though as long as you don't drive like an idiot on the road and those I know whose changed prefer springs for off-road use.

Edited by Gimlet

I've changed a couple of bags on mine as I use to raise the back end for off road but what happens is the mud sticks to the bag and when it folds down for road conditions it chafes the bag and cause minute leaks, I find now that most farms I can cover in low mode and if I raise it I hose the mud off when I get home with it raised.

I think I read a report on one of the Landy site about a heaven duty bag for the middle east as the sand is very abrasive

Do it quick before it knackers the compressor (£300). Air suspension FAR superior ride to coil, poss insurance implications etc

eu regulations on 4x4 7 seaters require air bag suspension none coil if you change them you will be invalidating your insurance warrenty and may be mot fail keep the air bags check ride height sensor but remember to disconnect battery first if changing other wise they wont sincronise when re fitted, also go onto landy zone club loads of help and advise on there and there is a section on replacing and fault finding on air suspension pm me if you have any other probs, I run a disco 2 4 ltr thor v8 great truck basicly rebuilt it over the years so any advise I will try too help

eu regulations on 4x4 7 seaters require air bag suspension none coil if you change them you will be invalidating your insurance warrenty and may be mot fail keep the air bags check ride height sensor but remember to disconnect battery first if changing other wise they wont sincronise when re fitted, also go onto landy zone club loads of help and advise on there and there is a section on replacing and fault finding on air suspension pm me if you have any other probs, I run a disco 2 4 ltr thor v8 great truck basicly rebuilt it over the years so any advise I will try too help

Don't want to hijack the thread but this might be of interest to others:

What if you take out the folding seats in the back and turn it into a 5 seater? I've been meaning to anyway because I never use them and they add weight and waste space.

I'd like to lift the suspension 2" on mine with or without springs. Is there an air bag lift kit that can be used in conjunction with a spring lift kit on the front?

Don't want to hijack the thread but this might be of interest to others:

What if you take out the folding seats in the back and turn it into a 5 seater? I've been meaning to anyway because I never use them and they add weight and waste space.

I'd like to lift the suspension 2" on mine with or without springs. Is there an air bag lift kit that can be used in conjunction with a spring lift kit on the front?

I think its about type approval, personally I wouldnt chance it when you can get a genuine 5 seat cheap as chips

Is there any way of lifting the suspension and retaining the airbags then?

Not sure if you can re program the height sensor to be in the off road position , this will give you more lift . The system is set to lower over certain speed on road to improve road holding and also prevent propshaft angles U/J concerns but I'll hand it over to the PW Massive/Google for any comments

Actually, I noticed today that the number of seats is not listed on my log sheet. It just says car, no mention of seats. What's to stop me pulling out the folding seats and binning the air bags? Who can quibble it?

I drove a mate's TD5 yesterday which has had air to spring conversion and though it wasn't quite as smooth and floaty on the road it felt more taught and less boat-like with no rolling that I could detect. I preferred it. He says it is an improvement off-road.

Actually, I noticed today that the number of seats is not listed on my log sheet. It just says car, no mention of seats. What's to stop me pulling out the folding seats and binning the air bags? Who can quibble it?

I drove a mate's TD5 yesterday which has had air to spring conversion and though it wasn't quite as smooth and floaty on the road it felt more taught and less boat-like with no rolling that I could detect. I preferred it. He says it is an improvement off-road.

Nothing to stop you mate but in the event of an accident be aware that the insurers will probably find out and deny a claim. I suppose technically you could be uninsured too but you'd need to get Mungler to confirm that