Field hide background.

JDog

This afternoon I am going to shoot a field of peas, thunder and lightening, rain and pigeons permitting.

There are a couple of problems to overcome. One is that the 'sweet spot' where the pigeons want to land and feed is in the middle of the field, the other is that the direction which the pigeons are mostly coming from is towards a road and it will not be possible to shoot in that direction. The solution may well be to erect a field hide in the middle of the field and let the pigeons come from behind me into the pattern with shots taken away from the road.

What I really need is a background to the hide so that I am not seen by pigeons travelling from behind. I cut some hazel sticks yesterday to 2.5m long and I have bound these in the middle with string and when openened they form an 'X' 2m tall. A third stick cut with a fork props this arrangement up. The net is then draped over the construction. The normal hide is then built in front.

This is illustrated in the photos taken in my garden. I will report if this ploy worked or not this evening.

0a8aa81c-23df-44d5-a41e-42444adf2e20.jpg

DSC05458.jpg

Edited by JDog

As cranfield said ,a fishing brolly with a net over it . It keeps the rain and the wind off and make shooting more pleasurable . Brolly in the middle of the field ,net in front of the brolly and a net behind the brolly . You will be sitting fairly low so you will have to shoot from the sitting postion .no big deal . I never go out without my brolly . I have two brollys ,one a standard brolly to use when on my own and a bigger one with wings on it for when I have a shooting buddy with me . Have used them for as long as I can remember .

Harnser

fenboy, on 28 Jun 2014 - 2:42 PM, said:snapback.png

I can construct a decent field hide ,complete with a roof if required using just 5 hide poles.

As cranfield says a fishing brolly can be used which is handy if its likely to tip it down.

I can do it with four! :yes:

I can do it with 3, any advance? :yes:

I used field hides alot of the time. To be honest i just make a hide the same hight in a circle around me. I used to use conifer to make it look like a bush and it lasted nearly 5 months when kept in the garage. These days just nets.

I have used a similar method to this when shooting an awkward field or shooting flightlines with 2 or more hides on the same flightline. I usually use an ordinary hide in the middle but stick up a few long sticks on the side of the hide that I don't want to shoot over because of roads houses other hides etc this means you can still see them coming but cannot shoot them until they are over the hide. I would never put a roof on my hide as it restricts the field of fire far too much.

I needed the back of the hide to be at least 2m high and my hide poles do not stretch that high.

The system worked very well for 25 minutes today, with birds coming from behind as envisaged and straight into the pattern. During that time I shot 10 pigeons and then the heavens opened and the torrential rain lasted for more than two hours so I packed up.

I needed the back of the hide to be at least 2m high and my hide poles do not stretch that high.

The system worked very well for 25 minutes today, with birds coming from behind as envisaged and straight into the pattern. During that time I shot 10 pigeons and then the heavens opened and the torrential rain lasted for more than two hours so I packed up.

Why did the back need to be 2m high?

You were unlucky with the weather. It has been a pretty nice day here.

I use two 8 ft bamboo canes as part of my standard kit with three standard adjustable poles at the front. Lightly sanded down and stained in steaky patches with brown shed paint as they were quite light coloured.

I also added some pegs to snag the camo net on at the top by taping with insulation tape (strengthen to stop them spiltting), drill a hole through and insert a short length of kebab stick (easy to replace out in field).

I use the cheap 1 m wide lengths of camo you can buy to cover. With four canes you can even put two canes at an angle over the hide to create a roof without restricitng your swing to the side.

Now if you'd use a brolly?????????????????

I carry eight poles all the time, a normal hide for two of us will take six poles with net all round if required and a separator net in the middle. I'm about six foot and DB is about five and and a half. We carry also fibre glass rods to make a roof if required. My poles extend to approx eight feet , so give me plenty of cover .

Should this going to be a regular occurrence and the field is of a size, then a pile of straw bales put in place just after the field is sown in anticipation saves an awful lot of fuss.

I think it's far better to be mobile, therefore letting you choose exactly where you want the hide to be.