Field hide background.

JDog

I think it's far better to be mobile, therefore letting you choose exactly where you want the hide to be.

Agreed, which is why I said of a size. Ten years in Norfolk told me that your fields can be enormous and one hide in the middle would look like a gnat on an elephant. Elsewhere, one or even 2 piles strategically placed can mean that any eventuality can be catered for.

No farmer would place a pile of straw bales in the middle of a field of growing peas for me. I wouldn't even ask.

Agreed again. Depends on the farmer and the circumstances. This way, a field of peas is virtually guaranteed to be hit and the loss of one square yard of crop pales into insignificance compared to the loss caused by a flock of pigeon. However, I will say that this trick is now less common than it used to be. I get the job of running a couple of programmable gas guns which take the edge of things.

Try this !!!

1 brolly

2 hide poles

2 small hide nets

1 plastic milk crate

1 flapper with small battery

6 decoys

Set your brolly behind you. 1st net over the brolly 2 hide poles either side of the brolly for second net.

just enough to carry.

AND IT WORKS.

Guest stevo

sorry I think I must be missing the point here , if im in that situation I just put a roof over the top , just a 2 min job and that's it , sorted.

To be fair to you jdog if what you have made works and gives you the confidence to set up in the field then your sorted for your situation.

When i first started using field hides i got the response from people " they wont come near you like that" to prove a point to a certain friend he had a pea field a few years back, they were a few on they but he hadnt shot it, i asked why he replied the peas are to high near the hedge so i cant. I asked could i have a go, he said yes. I set up in the middle in a low spot and killed 110. And picked around 108 from memory. He soon agreed field hides can work. If you way works for you then good stuff.

Yes stevo you are completely missing the point, which is, fiddle around in the garden getting a decent erection, put photos on the forum and everyone laughs at it.

not laughing at you JD..we are laughing at ourselves......many of us have "been there" in the garden fiddling with our erection, when the "first wife" comes out with a cup of tea and comes out with comments "do you want your tea in the wendy house"...........or "what are you doing".........or "if i was a pigeon i wouldnt go near that"

unfortunatly we cant reply " who the f£$% asked you" ?

Edited by ditchman

Some weird and wonderful ideas in this thread . Now listen to an old timer who has done this for more years than most of you have been alive .

A fishing brolly backed into the wind ,a net slung over the brolly ,a net on poles in front of the brolly a gap to get into the brolly . A seat that I use is a fishing box that is stuffed with all my bits and pieces and is just the right height to sit under the canopy . This set up has worked for me for many .many years . Just try it if it doesn't work then let me know and I will take you out and show you how it's done .The brolly that I use has wings on the side and can be pegged down with pegs at the back and on the wings . This set up can stand a gale blowing on it and not blow over .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser