freezing mackerel

toontastic

I was told recently that frozen for eating is best used within 4 months. Never really thought of it before.

I have one of those freezers where things get put in it but nothing ever gets taken back out again. I doubt I am the only one.

I don't think it freezes well at all as it goes a bit mushy when cooked. If you have too many to eat fresh then I would cut some into strips and souse them, along with some onion and pepper corns, in a balsamic vinegar and brine solution, that way they will easily last a week or so. Also try brining and hot smoking some, afterwards they will freeze really well if tightly wrapped.

Try vacuum packing your fish,,,, I do all mine in the vac packer, as we tend to get quite a few,, for mackerel I vac pack in the summer and smoke them during the winter,, along with eating un smoked ones,, they unfreeze perfectly,, I have fish in my freezer from 2012 which is still perfect,,, had some bass the other day which had been vac packed and frozen in 2012,,, it was perfect........ Started going through the remnants of last years mackerel to make room in the freezer for this years catch, so we have been eating mackerel since April,, iif its vac packed i know it will be good......... Well worth the money these machines I think,,,,,, every thing that goes into my freezers gets vac packed,, from rabbits, geese, ducks, venison, crabs & lobsters plus any bulk buy foods" even herbs from the garden................ Though its the best thing for fish especially mackerel which doesn't really like being frozen.