How many rounds shot in a day?

nicknsd1978

I'm completely new to the world of clay pigeon shooting.....in fact I have only been on a taster day. I have though since booked my first lesson for in a couple of weeks. This is something I want to start doing on a weekend but wondered how many clays are normally shot? Around by me in nottingham the prices range from 5.50 to 6.50 a round (25 clays).....how many rounds are seen as a normal mornings shooting?

It doesn't really matter what amount others are shooting but Whatever you feel comfortable with and may be best to do a few more lessons first , a lot of the shoots close to me are 50 or 60 bird shoots

I shot 2 different shoots this morning with 2 x 60 bird cards on each so choose what suits you

Welcome to pw :)

Edited by fruity

I thought 100 would be about right....do people generally go every weekend or say every other weekend?

if you get the bug it'll be more than that !

in fine weather we try to go at least once a week, work permitting.

we usually do 500 plus easy in a few hours ( 2 of us )

but if you get a target that your not happy with you'll need to sort it for your piece of mind ( I did 22 carts today on skeet stand 3, high house )

When I was shooting completions I would shoot 20,000 a year at clays. That would be two or three times a week ,, including a competion. I wouldn't shoot more than 150 practise as I lost concentration and was merely calling pull and pulling the trigger.

Edited by pontbeck

As a beginner don't try more than 50 at a time for the first few goes, you'll get tired and recoil effected this can lead to problemns down the line which are much harder to correct (flinching, lifting, freezing etc) better to shoot 50 a week every week than 200 once a month. if you are shooting sporting have a few lessons before going for practise/comps most aRE 60-100 if shooting skeet or trap most are 50/100 (rounds are 25 clays each) so 2-4 rounds.

As a lesson 50 could be 30 min to 2hours... I can shoot 50 DTL solo in half an hour easily, on a full squad of 5 25 each takes about 30min I allow 1:30-2 hours for 50 including waiting and cups of tea etc.

50 sporting depends on the queues at the stands but an hour ish, round of skeet similar time to DTL

Edited by HDAV

How long would say 2 rounds last (50 clays).....I bet these questions sound really daft to those who go allot.....didn't want to sound tight

If you can team up with another 2/3 shooters it will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. to shoot a 50 birder off 9 stands, dependant on how long the queue, if any, at the stands. 50 clays at our ground is £13.50p. 2 boxes of cartridges aprox. £4.00 per 25.

To me its all down to time available, the depth of your pocket and how far/fast you want to progress. I'd go with Daf's advice on building it up slowly, and would add quality not quantity and always practice with a specific aim in mind. I've decided to concentrate on Skeet, as others have said if there's a stand I'm not confident on then I'll stick with that until I see some progress or I decide I'm doing more harm than good. I usually start and finish with a round although I could just warm up with stand 1 and finish the session on 7 as both of those are rock solid, always try to finish a training session on a high, this applies to anything you're training for and stop before you get tired or bored don't just keep banging away until you run out of carts. Most of all enjoy, otherwise there's no point in doing it.

Shot a 100 comp in the morning and 100 on another format in the afternoon on Sunday at the same ground. I've also shot the same number at one ground and then driven to another ground to do the same. A 60 bird club shoot on Saturday after an 80 practice on Friday afternoon. Thursday evening I shot 100 at a Compaq shoot.

Most I've done in a session is 250 but that was only because I'd only got that many with me and the wife had let me out to play with no curfew. It's also why I only put 250 into the car at any one time!

Seriously considering taking my foot off the pedal! I have put 8500 rounds through my gun since starting shooting at the beginning of the year and entered 10 registered comps in 3 disciplines. Sporting, FITASC and Sportrap. at the moment I only hit 50% of the targets thrown.

Anyone who says that this doesn't become addictive doesn't know what they are talking about! :)

Blog at clayshoot.blogger.com

Edited by Nimbusgb

I was thinking of possibly 100 every two weeks.....but then looking at 500 between two every week I wonder if there is any point

My club usually shoot 100 on a comp (twice a month), but you can shoot 50 if you prefer. I go once a month, usually.

Apart from that, I rarely shoot clays, maybe 5 or 6 times a year. 25-50 each time.

Some people shoot 200+ every week, I've just not got the time to go that often, with other sports and hobbies, jobs at home, family life, etc.

Shoot what you're happy with, I suppose I'm saying. Costs can become steep, and while some people can blat off £100 on clays and cartridges on a weekend without thinking too much about it, for others that is prohibitive.