Feeders

The shoot where I keeper is likely to double in size after harvest so Iam going to need more feeders.. Where is the best place to get some,, I got 50 on eBay last time but find that they are not the right size as I have to keep topping the up every other week,

The problem I find with large feeders is no matter what system you use on them the grain does not flow due to the weight and pressure of the large amount of grain or pellets in them.

Every other week is not that hard , some of mine, there will always be some that are used more than others are topped up twice a week.

60kg ones 3/4 filled are best IMO either buy the drums and put the legs on or buy them complete Solway Feeders or Patrick Pinkner

sell them.

I have bought galvanised dust bins off e bay and put legs on they cost me tenner each drilled hole for spring use a bungy strap to hold lids on working well can get 50kg plus in them. I have made sure I have put them in places where I know I wont move them so they wont get damaged as they are a little flimsy if thrown about. I can see they will last a long time this way.

205L drums are the way forward for a part time keeper. Fill them with 6 20 kg or so bags of wheat in Sept and again in December. I use springs but am going to convert some to the stainless cutlery drainer that is elsewhere here.

Only downside is if a badger bends a spring you will loose the whole lot.

I have some that are 15 years old and have only needed a new lid and legs about every 5 years if using untreated wooden legs. Splay teh legs at about 30 degrees to make them stable, 3 legs, 100mm x 50mm timber is fine, 2 bolts into the drum per leg. One center spring or 3 between the legs on the bottom.

Never ever put pellets in them.

Two reasons,

A. when they get wet they will mush and block the spring.

B, Pheasants prefer pellets, they leave a smell, pheasants will empt a wheat drum looking for pellets. Even on a rocket type feeder always wash the feeder when switching from pellets to wheat. Otherwise you will have a large volume of wheat spread around the feeder.

A

Edited by Alycidon