best springer ?

rootintootinshooting

Is this best for hunting? At that budget it would undoubtedly be any gun modified by one of the top aftermarket tuning shops.

I like my hw80, theoben evo, pro sport and Diana 52, but the best I have is a tx200 I've had since 1994. It's on the original spring and has never been opened, it's fired many thousands of pellets having been my only air rifle for 10 years. Its as smooth as anything and still close to 12ft/lbs, the more I shoot it the better it gets.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weihrauch HW97K. Had mine about 11 years, it's been leant to god knows how many people, and never had a replacement spring. Last week with RWS Superdomes it was still punching 20mm groups at 40 yards. I find the weight makes keeping it steady much easier.

But on that budget, it'd have to be the AA Pro Sport. Best looking springer there is, especially in walnut.

I find the 97K to be like rock hard German engineering, that lasts for years, and never breaks down. Like the Tiger tank or Volkswagen Golf.

The Pro Sport is more of a silky-smooth British design, that looks good as well as performs. Like the Avro Vulcan or Rolls Royce.

I eliminated a crow at 55 yards at the weekend using domed pellets and the HW97K (untuned). headshot at that range shows how good it is!

you should be shooting for the England team,,55yrd head shots on a moving target AND with a springer :no::no: :no:

I wouldn't even try attempting that even with a top of the range pcp

tin hat on

atb Evo

you should be shooting for the England team,,55yrd head shots on a moving target AND with a springer :no::no: :no:

I wouldn't even try attempting that even with a top of the range pcp

tin hat on

No tin hat needed, I'd like to see a 10 shot group at that range shot in the field.

atb Evo

well I did shoot competition small bore, and got RAF marksman accreditation, (im really not big headed, just explaining my confidence in the shot)

and I also waited for the head to stop moving.

Springers can be as accurate and powerful as pcps, its the user who is often the limiting factor.

well I did shoot competition small bore, and got RAF marksman accreditation, (im really not big headed, just explaining my confidence in the shot)

and I also waited for the head to stop moving.

Springers can be as accurate and powerful as pcps, its the user who is often the limiting factor.

totally agree, I certainly could not do it that's for sure, think its the reason I went down the pcp route really although I have seen some unreal shots with a springer(hw80)

didn,t mean to sound pedantic its just a lot of people of late are taking what I call "pot shots" at very extreme ranges and over with sub 12ftlb air rifles but that's another topic,

well done anyway even if it was taking your rifle to the extreme

atb Evo

Standard with a PCP.........

way above my standard with a pcp or springer

atb Evo

Its not worth commenting further on the 55yrd head shot crow other than to say a good springer is as capable if not more so (due to reduced shot to shot variation) as any PCP. The difference is the shooters ability to call or forget the shot official FT discs at 55 yards are never reduced in std competition from 40mm because the "luck" element is said to be too great. What PCPs are is easier to shoot

The most consistent and easy to shoot springers are all the fully sleeved for reduced volume and better efficiency. TX and pro sport or my own choice the HW80 based full lazerglide I have had in use for 10-15 yrs

KENT,,,

""Its not worth commenting further on the 55yrd head shot crow other than to say a good springer is as capable if not more so (due to reduced shot to shot variation) as any PCP.""

you really do cease to amaze me sometimes kent with some of your comments,,

yes in the right hands a springer is an excellent accurate piece of kit, yes very accurate when tuned, but you will never change my mind that they are more accurate than a decent pcp to 55 yrds

Kent I would like to give you some constructive advise,,

1.... remove yourself from your armchair and polish the dust off your rifles(if you have any)

2.... go buy some ammo

3.... shoot in the field on some targets with a pcp and a springer with targets set at 55yrds

4....once you have done this come back and let us all know how you get on

I for one would like to hear this and just see if you have the same opinion because you keep going on about the amount of shooting you have done but we are yet to see anything other than crazy comments at times,

go and do it Kent, put your papers down , get out your armchair and give shooting a go, its a cracking sport honestly, you,ll enjoy it

atb Evo

The other day I shot a Stegosaurus at 1000 yards with a Webley Tempest .22 air pistol. This was of course back in the day when myself and my fellow rebels planned and executed the attack on the Death Star. Contrary to popular belief the destruction of the death star was achieved with a tuned Weihrauch HW80.

True Story

The other day I shot a Stegosaurus at 1000 yards with a Webley Tempest .22 air pistol. This was of course back in the day when myself and my fellow rebels planned and executed the attack on the Death Star. Contrary to popular belief the destruction of the death star was achieved with a tuned Weihrauch HW80.
True Story

I know ,,,I was there :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

atb Evo

KENT,,,

""Its not worth commenting further on the 55yrd head shot crow other than to say a good springer is as capable if not more so (due to reduced shot to shot variation) as any PCP.""

you really do cease to amaze me sometimes kent with some of your comments,,

yes in the right hands a springer is an excellent accurate piece of kit, yes very accurate when tuned, but you will never change my mind that they are more accurate than a decent pcp to 55 yrds

Kent I would like to give you some constructive advise,,

1.... remove yourself from your armchair and polish the dust off your rifles(if you have any)

2.... go buy some ammo

3.... shoot in the field on some targets with a pcp and a springer with targets set at 55yrds

4....once you have done this come back and let us all know how you get on

I for one would like to hear this and just see if you have the same opinion because you keep going on about the amount of shooting you have done but we are yet to see anything other than crazy comments at times,

go and do it Kent, put your papers down , get out your armchair and give shooting a go, its a cracking sport honestly, you,ll enjoy it

atb Evo

Go and shoot a gun like the TXSR off a Bench rest / back bag indoors at 50 yards, then shoot the best PCP you can find, it wont better it, it might equal it. The gun is capable the shooter is not. Springers are harder to shoot well as they expose any weakness in the hold, they are no less capable! Of prime importance to air gun accuracy is the variation (good spring guns are incredibly consistent my Lazerglide will munch through how ever many pellets you feed it under 8fps, more commonly less than 5 fps). I have done the above matching the TXSR (my old spring FT gun) against my Sportsmatch GC2 (PCP FT gun of mine, one of the best ever made in fact) indoors 50 yards, Have you? I think not from your comments but still you deride my statements and infer I AM A WALT? Yeah right :rolleyes:

Go and shoot a gun like the TXSR off a Bench rest / back bag indoors at 50 yards, then shoot the best PCP you can find, it wont better it, it might equal it. The gun is capable the shooter is not. Springers are harder to shoot well as they expose any weakness in the hold, they are no less capable! Of prime importance to air gun accuracy is the variation (good spring guns are incredibly consistent my Lazerglide will munch through how ever many pellets you feed it under 8fps, more commonly less than 5 fps). I have done the above matching the TXSR (my old spring FT gun) against my Sportsmatch GC2 (PCP FT gun of mine, one of the best ever made in fact) indoors 50 yards, Have you? I think not from your comments but still you deride my statements and infer I AM A WALT? Yeah right :rolleyes:

kent it is very obvious that you can talk the talk and are very informative with regards guns(probably by reading many many books)

but you have certainly not walked the walk or should I say showed us you can walk the walk,

how you can say and I quote " a good springer is as capable if not more so (due to reduced shot to shot variation)" is not factual,

your telling me that a springer has a better variation than my pcp ??? sorry bud but dream on, can you use a bipod with a springer ??? NO can you please tell me why ???

a springer even in the right hands has got to much movement to group better than a pcp at 55yrds,and I don't care who,s holding it

why are the top boys ALL using pcp,s in FT now, if a springer is more accurate then surely they would all be using springers,,

anyway that's another topic and WE are getting off topic and to be honest Kent I cant really be bothered listening to your dribble. my appologies if you think I,m being harsh but we obviously have different opinions so lets just leave it there,

regards the ops original question,,,, IMO get a tuned HW80 that's the best springer out there

atb Evo

PS ,,,Kent I have not said you are a WALT(whatever that is) I am not here to slag you off I am disagreeing with what you have said which is my right to do so,also do you have any pictures of these rifles you say you have in YOUR possession or is this magazine talk again,,cheers Evo

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't agree with you Evo, a well tuned spring rifle will produce a more consistent shot string over a much greater number of shots, week in, week out, than most non regulated PCP rifles. Even regulated rifles will give no better results than a good spring rifle (I'm sure someone has some shot strings somewhere that they could dig out), so kent is correct when he says spring rifles are the same or better than PCPs when it comes to accuracy - the difference, as he pointed out, is the ability of the shooter to consistently shoot accurately. I couldn't shoot a springer as well as I shoot a PCP but that is ultimately down to me and not the rifle.

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't agree with you Evo, a well tuned spring rifle will produce a more consistent shot string over a much greater number of shots, week in, week out, than most non regulated PCP rifles. Even regulated rifles will give no better results than a good spring rifle (I'm sure someone has some shot strings somewhere that they could dig out), so kent is correct when he says spring rifles are the same or better than PCPs when it comes to accuracy - the difference, as he pointed out, is the ability of the shooter to consistently shoot accurately. I couldn't shoot a springer as well as I shoot a PCP but that is ultimately down to me and not the rifle.

you don't have to agree with me falcon,,but you also will not change my mind , you also hit the nail on the head by mentioning the word regulated, this is and was a point I was getting at,,

I still think a springer is not as accurate as a Regulated pcp as both mine are out to 55yrds and yes even with a pcp the rifle is only as accurate as the user even more so with a springer as the holding of the springer is critical,

I hope someone can prove me wrong but really 55yrds a springer will out perform a pcp not in my eyes sorry

atb Evo

until I am proved wrong I stick by my opinion,

If you have a chrono you could put 20 pellets through your regulated rifle and compare it with someone's tuned spring rifle - I think you may be surprised.You probably won't get much less than 10 ft per sec variation and a good spring gun will do that pretty easily, I had a HW98 that wasn't tuned at all and it's variation was less than 10 ft per sec. Wish I still had it, lovely rifle.

If you have a chrono you could put 20 pellets through your regulated rifle and compare it with someone's tuned spring rifle - I think you may be surprised.You probably won't get much less than 10 ft per sec variation and a good spring gun will do that pretty easily, I had a HW98 that wasn't tuned at all and it's variation was less than 10 ft per sec. Wish I still had it, lovely rifle.

I am curious now, I think I shall get a chrono and see what my tuned HW80 does over 20 shots. It is by far the best airgun I have owned, I made the mistake of getting rid of a HW77k .177 years ago for a Webley Axor which was pants!

Ed