Why you should remove your mod

spandit

After my reloading/shooting session the other day, I removed the mod, collected the spent cases and inspected them for flattened primers etc. I then strolled down to the target to photograph it. It must have been at least 5 minutes before I casually unscrewed part of the mod to find out if was still full of smoke/vapour. Glad I store it off the rifle

I bought a 223 where the lad had stored it with the mod on. In fairness I was new, first centrefire rifle and didn't look properly. Grouping was all over the place. Had it bore scoped and the crown plus say 2" was toast, knackered completely.

New Bergara barrel fitted, at my cost obviously by my local smith and she was grouping 1/4" at 100 yards.

A lesson learned, steep learning curve and cost me in the pocket, but I now know!!

Jonathan

Edited by jgguinness

I use Copper Slip grease on all the barrel threads of my rifles. I also use it on my shotgun chokes.

Ditto. A little dab of Copper grease on the threads will stop any binding/galling/corrosion etc. It always pays to remove the moderator ocassionally, just to make sure that everything is OK though. :good:

I've been told by a few people that if you leave mod on, it will can cause condensation, that will rust / knacker your barrel . Don't know if true, but why take the chance? Also vigorously spray inside of my T8 mod with WD40 after use ( think T8 mods are prone to corrosion ) never loses zero but first shot is a bit smokey/ smelly!

Doesn't taking the mod on & off alter your POI ?

I take mine off for a clean every now & then & check the zero after. Store the rifle barrel down.

Not unless you have an issue with all being true it wont

leave it on and it will be on for good !! ....

take it of every time i use silicone on the threads keep it clean and you will be trouble free

I should use silicone grease for that its not good for the metals. Use copperslip or any lithium type grease

I bought a 223 where the lad had stored it with the mod on. In fairness I was new, first centrefire rifle and didn't look properly. Grouping was all over the place. Had it bore scoped and the crown plus say 2" was toast, knackered completely.

New Bergara barrel fitted, at my cost obviously by my local smith and she was grouping 1/4" at 100 yards.

A lesson learned, steep learning curve and cost me in the pocket, but I now know!!

Jonathan

could you not have just chopped the offending 2" off and recut?

• 2 weeks later...