Advice on purchasing first shotgun and try before you buy

Scrumbag

Hello all,

Am looking for some advice. A good mate of mine has recently taken up clay pigeon shooting and really enjoys sporting and has said he’d like to try the live stuff too. (Another convert, winner!) He’s had the FEO over and has been told to expect his SGC shortly.

As such, he’s looking to pick up his first shotgun. I’ve given him some advice of going for

• 28/30” Sporter
  • Multichokes
  • 3” Chamber
  • Steel proof
  • Not fancy grade wood
  • Second hand Browning / Miroku or Beretta.

(My thinking being he’ll be able to do most shooting he seems to be interested in with that and won’t lose too much if he changes it for something when he has a better idea of his preferences)

So, does anyone reckon I should give him different advice or have missed something?

Also, one thing he’d like to do is get the chance to rent a couple of the above and try out on some clays.

Next question: can anyone recommend a clay ground with a good second hand selection within a couple of hours of London? Also, heading up to the CLA so we can have a look at a few SGs there side by side (excuse the pun)

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

the most important thing is to try a multitude of guns "for fit in the company of someone who knows guns" - i would never ever buy a gun "unseen" no matter how "reputable" the seller.

If you don't follow this simple tip on your own head be it.

If the gun shop quibbles walk away.

look on the cpsa website and read this https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CTSH.pdf from page 47 onwards

Even a single lesson from a proper cpsa coach is, imho, worth the money - as in all walks of life some charge reasonably - others charge too much.

Its like a shotgun - some are £100, some are £100 grand - but at the end of the day they all go bang and as long as it "fits" you will get good scores with either.

Edited by joecash

I'm going to come across as really contrary I know.

But my advise is;

buy a cheap gun, don't worry if the fit isn't perfect. Mount it and if it feels about right that will do.

Get involved with guys that shoot live quarry and learn what you can.

You will naturally move to the next step of buying a better gun. You will have the experience and knowledge then to make your own mind up what you need.

• 28/30” Sporter Agreed this is a common and easily obtained 2ne hand objective

• Multichokes I would suggest that this is desirable, but by no means a driver

3” Chamber Don't see any need for this unless wildfowling is envisaged

Steel proof As above, but who knows where the law will take us?

Not fancy grade wood Very much buyer and budget determined

Second hand Browning / Miroku or Beretta. Good sound makes, but there are plenty of others

My additions would be FIT, FIT and FIT. No one will shoot well with a gun that doesn't fit reasonably well. Over 40 years shooting I have come to realise the importance of fit far too late in my shooting career!

The 'get involved' is great advice

John Forsey guns at Welling have a good arrangement, where you can book out a gun for the weekend or even a day in the week and go down to one of two local clay grounds to try it. Give them a call. 02083049922.