My Bouncers turn up side down....

I use bouncers a lot as the "whirly-gig" magnet draws them in but they have been shot so often over them they shy away at 60 yards. However, when the wind is a little stronger my bouncers have a habit of turning upside down which does wonders for scaring birds away.

The issue is that the bird is screwed onto a round rod which in turn is slotted into another round rod which goes into the ground. The top rod and bottom rod connection is round so the top one can spin in the wind, also the bottom rod can spin in the ground if it is hard or loose.

The answer is to connect the two rods and gently whack the join with a hammer making the join slightly oval - ergo no spin. To stop the ground spike from spinning in the soil I had to add a side bit of metal so it was like a fork..... Bouncers no longer spin upside down...... and birds are not scared away.

If like me the Magnet or "whirly-gig" draws them in but then they shy away from it then put the Magnet in the field away from your hide so it draws them from a flight line and then as they shy away they will see the other decoys and veer to them...... Works a treat in our rape field and the magnet is not wasted.

Happy Shooting

It might be that you are putting the birds on wrong on the wing spreader / spike. On the spreader there is a bit that drops down, if it is upside down it will make the bird spin. Hard to explain. Hope that helps. :s

It might be that you are putting the birds on wrong on the wing spreader / spike. On the spreader there is a bit that drops down, if it is upside down it will make the bird spin. Hard to explain. Hope that helps.

Edited by Marcusfisher123

The screw down nut on the metal outer part of the bouncer is not tightening enough so the inner fibreglass inner pole spins under the weight of the pigeon.

This is the problem. But does anyone have the answer, other than buy new ones? I am asking because I have two old bouncers in the garage suffering from the same.

Take apart, remove nut and clean threads, add a drop of oil, and clean after use as pigeon juices run down the inner into the threads. oh and a pair of pliers as you can't tighten sufficiently by hand once old. Poor design really.

This is the problem. But does anyone have the answer, other than buy new ones? I am asking because I have two old bouncers in the garage suffering from the same.

Edited by Penelope

The fibre glass rod of my floaters is screwed in the same place every time and it now has an indentation in that spot. The threads have not been stripped but in any event the indentation holds the cradle and the pigeon firmly in place.