PW OPEN MATCH CUP??? (fishing)

bazzab

Hi all.

An unnamed member of forum has had a superb idea.

As we are all outdoor type chaps, he has has suggested looking into arranging friendly fishing match/day/get together on one of the free stretches on the river ouse in Beds. Members of forum, friends, families etc of course def welcome.

Early thoughts are, we will recce area and mark out peg numbers in advance. Then all meet up at pre set location for a peg draw. All pop say a quid or whatever people are happy with, winner takes all or however people prefer. Head off for the match for the day. Once packed up head to local watering hole for some lemonade and prize draw. If succesful enough look at further dates.

So what do we all think? Box is def open for suggestions and ideas so fire away......

I no longer have any match fishing gear so not for me .

But a couple of words of advice .

If you want to hold a match you would be better to use a club stretch that allow bookings, pay the peg fee the club would generally put up notices saying the stretch was then closed to other anglers.

If you use a free stretch there is a good chance you will have other anglers turning up and squeezing in between you .

Club sections often have permanent pegging too which would take out some of the hassle.

My club have a stretch of the Ouse at Boxend Farm, between Kempston and Bromham and may be open to allowing a booking for a private match.

I no longer have any match fishing gear so not for me .

But a couple of words of advice .

If you want to hold a match you would be better to use a club stretch that allow bookings, pay the peg fee the club would generally put up notices saying the stretch was then closed to other anglers.

If you use a free stretch there is a good chance you will have other anglers turning up and squeezing in between you .

Club sections often have permanent pegging too which would take out some of the hassle.

Can't do the match side of things as like fenboy I just do not have any match gear. However if you wanted to make it a carp match at some where like Drayton reservoir in Daventry then I'm game.... Up the stakes a little too make it more interesting ;)

Can't do the match side of things as like fenboy I just do not have any match gear. However if you wanted to make it a carp match at some where like Drayton reservoir in Daventry then I'm game.... Up the stakes a little too make it more interesting ;)

drayton ,,,blimey you would have to weigh every fish on its own,,fished it last year for 5 hours and between two of us we had over 600lb of fish, they averaged 12-14lb,

would certainly enter it if it was on boddingtons reservoir that's for sure, and pegs 75 to 100

atb Evo

That's why draytons so great, everyone will catch (or atleast certainly should) I Only go once a year as after every time I go I need to respool my reels. Dreaded Drayton twist last time we went we stopped counting after 48 fish between us in three hours. Best we had that day was 26lb I think. Move with the wind, the fish follow it everywhere

Could also do one on oakwood park lakes :D bit more expensive but should get some good weigh ins ;)

(null)

Sorry, but couldn't think of anything worse.

CEMEX Angling took a lot of carp from Drayton when it was drained down for repair and stocked them into Thorpe Lea (Staines) and Stanford Le Hope (Thurrock), (they have a particular parasite which restricts where they can go. Thorpe Lea had no fish in it and Stanford had the same parasite). Every fish's mouth was in a terrible state from constantly being caught at Drayton.

Edited by Penelope

Camping out for carp can have it's attraction, but not for puddle pasties.

Is there a consensus for me to make enquires with my club for Box End?

I am with Rob and Oscars dad if it's river count me in if it's camping out for carp pretending to fish i am out

Colin

Camping out for carp can have it's attraction, but not for puddle pasties.

Is there a consensus for me to make enquires with my club for Box End?

yes mate some cracking fishing there and much more skill involved in fishing the river's

don't need no fancy match gear at boxend chub,chub and chub well it use to be i not fished much for last 8-10 year's

Colin

A few good barbel too and some big bream by all accounts, so no need for wag 'n' mag if you don't want to. I've only been there once but it's a nice varied stretch.

I'll make enquires as to whether it's feasible to book. It's quite weedy in parts so might be better later on in the year if looking to run a float through.

yes mate some cracking fishing there and much more skill involved in fishing the river's
don't need no fancy match gear at boxend chub,chub and chub well it use to be i not fished much for last 8-10 year's

Colin

and subject to somone giving you a lift and supplying the bait and sarnies and beer :whistling:

how are you mate ?

whats happening with your eye ?

cheers rob

Had my jaw broke at work a few years ago....detacted my retina and had about 5/6 ops on it so far....another op on the 24th July to repair another small hole thats appeared so shall see

A few good barbel too and some big bream by all accounts, so no need for wag 'n' mag if you don't want to. I've only been there once but it's a nice varied stretch.

I'll make enquires as to whether it's feasible to book. It's quite weedy in parts so might be better later on in the year if looking to run a float through.

Thats fantastic mate. Will wait to hear what they say bud.

As for the carp match, seems to be some people are not interested. So in light of that. We will get river match sorted first and done and see how we get on, then come back to the others ie carp, fly, beach etc.

We can also consider the north / south match. If the northern mob are brave enough hahahahahahah. (Only messing)

Lets keep having them names.