Concentration and etiquette ?

bisondan

Evening

I was clay shooting this morning as usual for every Sunday morning and the shoot I was at was a bit busier than normal and I found myself getting really distracted by groups behind us constantly chatting behind when I was trying to shoot.

The other four shooters I was with all respect each other at stands and keep quiet when we are shooting as although none of us take it really really seriously but we all like to hit as many as possible.

I thought it pretty poor etiquette from the people who were queuing, I always thought it was a bit like golf and everyone should stay quiet when you are shooting?

You come across them everywhere I'm afraid. They're usually less judgemental than the stuffy people on golf courses that wait for you to tee off. Chatting / noise will only put you off if you let it - try to blank it out and concentrate on your shot placement.

Can't be any worse than the herd of fairy elephants that call themselves Brownies who squeal and stomp about three feet above our heads when shooting competition cards at my local rifle club.

Block them out and crack on :)

I think like me and my friends I shoot with a lot of people see a Sunday morning clay shoot as abit of a social event especially if there's no prize money at stake. There's always some ribbing when we are shooting especially with one mate who is always mid to high 40's every week but for some reason really struggles to hit rabbits which we take great delight in. I just turn the volume down on my Howard leighs if I'm on for a good score and need to concentrate. My dad can't shoot for toffee 15/50 today but he still joins in, I'd understand on a registered shoot or comp but when were only paying £12 a round it's no hardship. I do find stand jumpers a pain as you end up with massive queues on the middle stands but it's not worth getting stressed about.

I am profoundly deaf as the result of a couple of strokes, I am therefore unaware of how loud I am talking. I do try to stay back from the stand whilst waiting my turn, but this can lead to people jumping the queue. As to other people talking bothering me, I just wish it did !

I don't mind banter, I dish out and receive plenty when I'm out on a Sunday morning within the group of people I'm shooting with though. Also if I saw someone who was struggling with a target and I could see what was obviously going wrong I would offer some advice.

I go clay shooting as I enjoy it but I am always looking to improve, but I understand that people don't really care and see it as a bit of a social bit that's no reason to be inconsiderate of others.

I can normally block this out but today there was just constant noise and I found that it came at the worse time ie as I was about to pull the trigger.

This all won't matter anyway as my Proflex Competition will be with me shortly, and I can shut all noises out completely, I was just after some opinion.

You have a choice. Either get some more hearing protection to blot it out or tell them to shut up. The problem is that you will spend quite a lot of time telling many, many people to shut up, whilst your popularity will plummet.

Learn to ignore them.

Your worried about people talking putting you off your shooting, what and all the other banging of guns you don't hear.

Learn to ignore it or go at quieter times.

Afraid at my local club if people were told to be quiet when waiting to shoot the person shooting would wish they never uttered a peep n the first place.

Clay shooting is a social sport for most folk, and a Sunday morning with mates is what it's about.

If you had them right behind you in the cage talking different matter.

Figgy

This one will split opinion, as can be seen from the replies.

My 2p worth is that it's a total no no at Competitions, but at local "straw bailers" it's to be expected, as these shoots are as much a social gathering as anything else.

However, there are limits, and although for me most of the time I simply don't notice the noisey people, every now and then I do.

We have two particularly annoying tits at my local shoot. The one guy is a total joker, and although annoying he is pretty harmless. The other guy is just a loud mouthed know it all, who seems to feel that everybody in the surrounding Counties needs to benefit from his opinion, on everything. The group I shoot with feel much the same about these two, so we just try to avoid them.

On the whole, I would agree with those that say you'll need to learn to blank them out. Tunring around to say something is far more likely to upset your routine/concentration etc.

So, how do we all feel about children in pubs? :whistling:

Can tolerate all the banter at the local bailers as you have to understand that for some people getting out there and letting a few shots off on a Sunday is all their hobby amounts to and may not be taking it as seriously as you do. However totally different at a registered shoot. Was shooting comp a few weeks ago and while a group of quite accomplished shooters were waiting their turn in the stand they stood around laughing and joking like they were propping the bar up in their local pub. Not very considerate at all.

Dont even get me started on kids in pubs Fin 😡

Edited by Trevorevans

• 2 weeks later...

As an aside I think kids are great in pubs as they can get to the bar easier and walk under the tables not knocking your elbow spilling your drink, so long as they are not heard I'm all for it. The Victorians knew a thing or two.

Figgy