Grass seeds and springers feet

Jim c

Hi I'm having real problems with my 7 months old springer. He's got grass seeds inbetween his toes and they now look really sore. He's going to the vets tomorow as looks infected. Bathed them in salt water and removed ones I can see. Any advice. Poor little sod looks really sad.

Thanks in advance jim

My cocker just had one removed at vets 1/2inch grass seed buried in no time abcess vets and removal come sunday dog restless biting same foot prod and poke and another seed same size removed and I check my dogs feet religously only advice I can give is to cut all. the fluffy hair between dogs toes but at this time of year the only way to stopit is to check 2 to 3 times a day bbecause a grass seed can bury itself in no time at all hope your dog gets sorted

Its the biggest expense for my spaniels. My youngster 18 months has just got over her 1st op to remove a seed from the paw £500 later!
I shaved in-between the toes but this one got in & was on its way up the leg. Seeds still go in down the ears & mouth so this time of the year i try to go somewhere where there are few seeds, coast etc.

fenman99

A veterinary nurse gave me a good tip once with regards to grass seeds and paws as my previous dog was plagued by them.

Always keep a tub of magnesium sulphate cream (you get it from the chemist) in the house.When you spot the tell tale abcess,smother the area with the cream and strap a bandage on it.The cream will draw all the puss and (hopefully) the foreign object out of the abcess then one clear bathe with salty water for 2-3 days to keep the wound open so it fully drains.Keep clean and allow to heal.

Shaving the area does one thing IMO, makes it easier for seeds to get into problem areas. Once there, they penetrate skin/flesh, easily. The fur helps protect IMO and as long as you keep a regular check on the fur between the toes, any seeds can be removed from the fluffy, fury bits, before penetrating skin.

A veterinary nurse gave me a good tip once with regards to grass seeds and paws as my previous dog was plagued by them.

Always keep a tub of magnesium sulphate cream (you get it from the chemist) in the house.When you spot the tell tale abcess,smother the area with the cream and strap a bandage on it.The cream will draw all the puss and (hopefully) the foreign object out of the abcess then one clear bathe with salty water for 2-3 days to keep the wound open so it fully drains.Keep clean and allow to heal.

Good tip

But make sure you put cotton wool between the dogs toes and dont bandage to tightly

Infection = swelling

You can cause circulation problems

If your unsure vet is safest option

All the best

Of

We're on cocker number 4 and every single one of them has got them at some point. Evil vicious vile things for dogs those seeds.

Just got our Ditto back from the vets for the latest one £265 later. Hopefully the insurance will cover it minus the excess.