More rat advice please

dhumble5

Hi again all

I was going to have a go at rats at night with the air rife ( I am new at this )

My budget is tight at the minute I don't have the cash for a night scope.

Is there some sort of lamp light I can use instead.

Your advice will be most welcome.

Thanks.

your easiest answer for rat shooting or rabbits by night it to use a T20 torch with a deep red led, this torch gives the option of widening the beam(flooding) so it is not as bright in a small area,

if you adjust the front of the torch you can make the beam very tight or wide so if its distance you want then tighten the beam,,if your shooting close then widen the beam,

have a look at this video to see what I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3vc5cslzxc#t=10

I also had good fun at a mates barn when we wired up permanent low level red light around the barn and left it on every night for a couple of nights and then a few days later they were happy as cold be running around with a low light on.

We just sat in his window of the farm house and picked them off.
Not saying this will work for everyone, they were quite established there but it's worth a shout.

Possibly easier than first time lamping if you've not done it before.

Another thing: I used a old tube I found (gutter pipe) and cut out a large rectangle on one side and put a few lumps of mars bar down. A lot of them funnelled through here as they feel safer feeling things rubbing along their sides. Came into the open with the mars bar and ping down. Issue I didn't think of at the time was when there was a few there I had to move to a different plan.

Great video .. those lamps are powerful !!

I thought my lenser led P7 was powerful .. lol

Might have a tinker if l keep hold of it ... l been looking up about Hatsan AT44's ... think its more the price bracket than the desire to own that specific model, thats making me look ..

Edited by hoggysreels

Plenty cheap Cree rifle mounting torches on Ebay only £12 or less if you don't mind the 3 week wait from china.

Rats and Rabbits don't see red very well so a red filter is a good option. They even make clear red plastic tunnels for pet Rats and Rabbits so you can see them, but they can't see you.