texas rigged decoys

alan12shot

I've never used Texas rigged decoys I shoot from a duck punt in about 2 to 4 feet of water with about 20 decoys all single rigged will there be much of a gain if I use a Texas rig, if so can anybody tell me how to make this Texas as I've not got a clue.

Thanks Pat.

I`ve used it in water depths up to six feet+.

The advatage to it under those circumstances is that, if picking up by boat or loading the decoys straight into a bag, by sliding the weight up to the decoy the looped, loose end of decoy line,now without any weight, simply does not tangle in the same way that it would if the line still had the weight at the end.

You can sling the deeks on the floor of the boat or straight into a bag without having to wind the line around the neck or keel of the deek. Especially useful in the dark.

You may well want to sort them out before you use them again, but the days of a birds nest tangle caused by fixed weights misbehaving at the end of the tether line are almost over.

An excellent idea, well worth the effort of rigging your deeks Texas style.

Edited by mudpatten

Plenty of fowlers on the American sites moaning that they still tangle like mad if put in a bag after. Just put snap swivels on the end of the line and then simply remove the weight and wrap the line around the decoy. I never get tangles that way

Plenty of fowlers on the American sites moaning that they still tangle like mad if put in a bag after. Just put snap swivels on the end of the line and then simply remove the weight and wrap the line around the decoy. I never get tangles that way

Removing the weight also keeps the paint good and allows the weight to be substituted for a stake or long line clip to rig on a mainline.

Interesting!

Can you do a link to those sites? It`d be interesting to see if the Yanks have come up with any solutions to their problems.

Save having to reinvent the wheel so to speak

Just google texas rigged decoys nick. I cannot remember the site I read the most about it, but it was the one with the drawning a duck with a ring on its leg.

Interesting!

Can you do a link to those sites? It`d be interesting to see if the Yanks have come up with any solutions to their problems.

Save having to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Have a look here Nick https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=texas+decoy+&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4NDKB_enGB564GB564&q=texas+decoy+rigs&gs_l=hp..0.0l2j0i22i30l3.0.0.0.10072...........0.fJODE7cW8_U

Regards

H

Get big sea fishing snap link swivels from Veals in Bristol.

https://www.veals.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=swivels%20link%20snap&PN=crane%2dinterlock%2d649%2ehtml#SID=78

Will do!

I must say that the simple idea of unclipping the weight would seem to have a lot going for it.

Think I`ll give that a go as well. An idea so blindingly simple I can`t figure out why I`ve not seen it used before!

You`re never too old to learn something new!