baitcasting?

fieldwanderer

In my youth, I did no end of course fishing but have to admit I know very little about sea fishing

Our family holiday this year is near Minehead and I've decided I'd like to get out for a session or two. The plan being to keep it as simple as possible, light gear, relatively still water (a harbour or eddy or similar) possibly even float fishing.

Being very fond of new toys, the plan so far is to get a small multiplier (I've used one once and always fancied having a small one for pike) and about a 10' rod that's somewhere between a carp and spinning rod.

other than that though, it's all a bit of a mystery. I'd like to at least catch one or two (doesn't really matter what) just to make it that bit more enjoyable. Can you point me in the right direction please?

What your looking for is a bass rod in the 2 oz range. These are designed to be held not left in a rest, the issue is multipliers wind and light tackle don't mix well on the coast and most light bait and lure fishing is done with fixed spool though it can be done. A good bass rod has a very forgiving tip for casting fragile baits but light carp rods or heavier spinning rods are also used.

Doesn't have to be anything in particular, hence the question

The rod I set as "watch" on the auction site is 40-80g, if spinners/lures would work well for the area / habitat I mentioned that's fine too, just like pikeing really. That's the way I was thinking of going but, as said, it's not something I know much about.

But seriously, what would you choose? what would your approach be? Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want to be buying cheap tat either.

A spinning (fixed spool) reel would be much more versatile for many techniques. If you were looking to do something more specific a baitcasting set up would be fantastic, I used them for 80% of my fishing, but you do need to be more focused on a specific technique or style to get the best out of them.

Iv'e a 32 year old Daiwa 11' 6" Bass Rod .. the actual model name is "Bass Rod".... very nice condition, 2 piece .. though Bsss rods are great for Plaice as well ... might be tempted to put it in the swap section soon'ish. ;)

lve also a rare 12lb class House of Hardy boat rod ... Mmmm ?

Edited by hoggysreels

I use a flattie rod casting 30/40gm with a an ABU 5600 multiplier for spinning from the rocks and light surf casting but agree that a fixed spool and carp type rod sounds like it would fit the bill for harbour wall spinning and float, I wouldnt consider trying to use a multiplier for floatfishing, I use the multiplier and a short spinning rod from the boat, sounds like you will end up with as least three sets of gear to get you through your holiday !

In my youth, I did no end of course fishing but have to admit I know very little about sea fishing

Our family holiday this year is near Minehead and I've decided I'd like to get out for a session or two. The plan being to keep it as simple as possible, light gear, relatively still water (a harbour or eddy or similar) possibly even float fishing.

Being very fond of new toys, the plan so far is to get a small multiplier (I've used one once and always fancied having a small one for pike) and about a 10' rod that's somewhere between a carp and spinning rod.

other than that though, it's all a bit of a mystery. I'd like to at least catch one or two (doesn't really matter what) just to make it that bit more enjoyable. Can you point me in the right direction please?

PM Rob ( Ack Ack )

He likes to launch a lump of lead out ( or down the beach lol)

TEH

Understand the attraction of the multiplier, I have an Abu 5000 series, now about 20 years old, may be not the most cutting edge, but it just purrs - it's quality. Saying that I would go for an 8 to 9 foot 10-25g light spinning rod with a 2500 / 3000 series fixed spool real, braided line around 15-20lb and half a dozen bass lures. I have had bass, garfish, pollack, wrasse and even sea trout on this sort of kit - great fun, the hardest part is being in the right place at the right state of the tide - trial and error or local knowledge, the latter can save a lot of time. Lots of good advice online e.g. Henry Gilbey's website, although he overdoes it on lures and expensive tackle he also recommends some more competitive kit, lots of god advice on his blog. Keep it simple.

Doesn't have to be anything in particular, hence the question

The rod I set as "watch" on the auction site is 40-80g, if spinners/lures would work well for the area / habitat I mentioned that's fine too, just like pikeing really. That's the way I was thinking of going but, as said, it's not something I know much about.

But seriously, what would you choose? what would your approach be? Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want to be buying cheap tat either.

Your going to end up collecting lots tackle if your not positive about your needs before shopping. If you want versatile there is a lot to be said for a carp / pike rod and a biggish fixed spool with a couple of spare spools carrying different lines. Flatties on worm / fish strips and 3 oz leads, mullet Bass and Wrass on the float, freelining and rolling round bigger fish baits and peeler for bass in the second breaker or even plugging if your not working the lure much, Pollack off the rocks. Just make sure and wash it all off after use

A medium sized fixed spool reel is very versatile, I like the Penn Surfmaster. The Penn Carpmaster is the same reel, but with a dark finish instead of the shiny "sea" version, it's often found for sale cheaply as some carp fisherman are real tackle tarts and change their stuff all the time. I bought 6 Carpmasters with spare reels, all loaded with good quality mono or braid, for £75 off eBay.

I have good multiplier reels ( also Penn ) but always use the fixed spool reels now, a multiplier needs regular practice, fixed spool is almost fool-proof.

i do quite a bit of sea fishing....

for something like you say a carp/pike rod with a 2.75-3.5lb tc will be fine ..also reel look at daiwa emcast or opus reel...can pick up cheapish

i tend to use century G5 with abu 6500 mag elite ....and take my carp spod rod with opus reel with 50lb braid on

i would say fixed spool for now as a multi opens up a can a worms and a birds nest is not nice

So, it wouldn't work getting the rod I mentioned and (in effect) going piking in the sea?

I've no problem staying with a fixed spool, I just fancied trying something different.

I'll look into what works well in the area and try to narrow it down somewhat. I went beach casting several times years ago but found it pretty boring to be honest - the excitement of lobbing a fair weight way out followed by hours of nothing except the odd lump of seaweed soon lost its appeal. I even still have the rod and a huge fixed spool reel (though I used a multiplier at the time).

So, it wouldn't work getting the rod I mentioned and (in effect) going piking in the sea?

I've no problem staying with a fixed spool, I just fancied trying something different.

I'll look into what works well in the area and try to narrow it down somewhat. I went beach casting several times years ago but found it pretty boring to be honest - the excitement of lobbing a fair weight way out followed by hours of nothing except the odd lump of seaweed soon lost its appeal. I even still have the rod and a huge fixed spool reel (though I used a multiplier at the time).

You were in the wrong place at the wrong time, with good bait and a bit of knowledge you should rarely blank, indeed it easier to blank in freshwater unless your comparing with a commercial stocked place. The downside of beachcasting is generally the low average size of fish in relation to the heft of the gear

A 2 3/4 tc suveran carp rod and a recent 5000 sized multiplier is a very versatile combo and one that serves me well. It feels awesome and even with a levelwind equipped reel i can ping a single hook rig and 3oz 100yds with little effort. Equally at home flicking a float rig, ounce spoon or a leger rig in all but the stiffest winds. In string wind you will more than likely be bottom fishing anyway so not been able to cast a float isn't a problem. Only problem with carp rods is that they are designed for fresh water and not the beach therefor the rings rust quickly if not looked after and they are not as robust as s set of marine fujis. If you get a good rod its worth having it rebuilt for marine use when it starts loosing rings.

A good carp rod blank will take everything you can throw at it if you protect it from knocks.

I do actually own and use a pair of 3 lb test curve Century blank build rods with multiplier rung BHNG Fugis. Very good flatty rods and can cast prodigious distances with leads up to 4 oz and a pendulum. Issue it the level winds will jamb up with weed and general muck from the sea real quick. Hence I only use them in good conditions, oh and sometimes its hard as heck to break the lead out if it gets in a soft spot or light snag at distance.

Best thing to do with light gear if its your only gear is rig it with a FS reel and use it for lots of things and appreciate what they are and are not good for.

Very much with Tim on the light braid digging in and I personally might go so far as to say its pointless for nearly all light beach fishing with baits. Besides one big birdy (and we all get them now and again) will set you back some. I rarely use braid with lures now, going back to the 90s it was about all I used with lures!