Ground is too hard for hide poles

camojohn

Roll on the winter when it is soft enough to get hide poles into the ground!

Only kidding for those devoid of humour.

Then it will be too cold...................... :oops:

to get the poles in......................

Oh they are all ready here.............. :oops:

TEH

Shoot 100 pigeons, in my dreams maybe LOL. As for breaking the hide poles, I have already done that with one of my home made jobies. It’s time to buy some proper poles. Can anyone recommend which ones to buy without going to mad on the ££.

I use 6ft lengths of Re-bar, the steel reinforcing used by groundworkers. I turn 6 inches over on the end and hammer them into the ground. 'Cos they're rusty they don't shine in the sun either. A lot cheaper than the ones with foot plates, which I think are ****.

I use 6ft lengths of Re-bar, the steel reinforcing used by groundworkers. I turn 6 inches over on the end and hammer them into the ground. 'Cos they're rusty they don't shine in the sun either. A lot cheaper than the ones with foot plates, which I think are ****.

I bet they are heavy to lump around . I'll stick to alloy ones and change them every few years .

Harnser

wack in an old screwdriver and wiggle enough to get your pole in

+1 here but also carry a few tent guy ropes and steel pegs, make a small hole, locate the pole, then once you have the net strung out attach the guy ropes to tighten up , also works great when its windy and stops the net collapsing inwards , this has saved me loads of times, worse job by far is trying to get the magnet spikes into hard ground, even stamping or hammering wont always get them in, now I just look for those big cracks in the ground and try to open them enough to get the spikes in, just as long as it doesn't fall over, last one jammed one arm into the ground and burnt out my motor before I could get out of the hide to save it. :good::good:

The poles I have have a kind of screw type bottom, so you turn them to actually get them in making them excellent for really soft ground so you can screw them in deep but also to get them in to hard ground. Can't remember where I bought them from though but they are dedicated pigeon hide poles.

• 1 month later...

Have a word with a fishing buddy and beg borrow or steal his umbrella pole. I have a lightweight screw in one that I cut down, drilled and put small rod through. If I get the odd hard spot I just drill hole then pull out and push poles in. Very easy, very lightweight and solves the problem!. :yahoo: