MG TF

Davyo

I was at a SIlverstone track day a few years back and a TVR Chimera owners club rocks up, around 12 cars started the morning session when the track opened at 9 and by 12 every car was broken to a greater or lesser extent (Worst being one caught on fire and one shredded itself on a concrete barrier).

I always wanted one until that day... :)

I'm an MR2 MK2 man but out of the cars mentioned I'd go S2000 then MX5, great cars if a little girly :)

I know some ond who ran one for a while and he said buying it was a big mistake.Its looking like a MX5 at thd moment. Edited by Davyo

I've got a TF sat on the drive, has been for the last 4 years I've owned it. To be fair its not your standard TF and we have spent a fortune on mods and now runs at about 180 BHP.

My lad used it for junior hill climb from the age of 12 to 14 before he moved on to our Caterham.

If you want a cheap rag top you would be hard to beat a TF for the price. Just make sure its fitted with an MLS head gasket or it has the low coolant warning system fitted.

Don't be tempted by and F unless its the later trophy edition or you will have the hydrogas suspension.

morris3.jpg

morris8.jpg

morris6.jpg

morris5.jpg

Do you run the Caterham at Prescott FM?

If so, I may have seen it at some time, although I wasn't able to get over last season, or this the way it is going....

We have done and Shelsley. It runs a Firelade engine but is about to be swapped for a Hayabusa if I ever get time. Too many toys

I was at a SIlverstone track day a few years back and a TVR Chimera owners club rocks up, around 12 cars started the morning session when the track opened at 9 and by 12 every car was broken to a greater or lesser extent (Worst being one caught on fire and one shredded itself on a concrete barrier).

I always wanted one until that day... :)

I'm an MR2 MK2 man but out of the cars mentioned I'd go S2000 then MX5, great cars if a little girly :)

I wouldn't track mine, it's just not a track car really. I've found the engine in mine extremely reliable, it's just a rover v8. It's bits like electrics which can go wrong. As an a to b car most hot hatches would be faster these days but on the right road it's glorious.

MX 5 every time, had 2 in a row. The original 1.6 with flip up lights then a T reg 1.8 never cost us anything apart from servicing and the back end was very controllable.

S2000 is a god choice, try and get a copy of "Practical Classics" from last month, the had a special article on it. You need to know what you are looking for but the do rev like a bike but to 9,000 i think.

I had a VTEC Civic and it would not pull under 6,000 revs, 6-9,000 it flew.

I have had both an MX5 and an RX8 and a friend had a S2000.

All great cars.

My MX5 was a 2004 and I got her with 80k on the clock and kept her until 120,000. Possibly the best car I ever owned. Had a hard and soft top. Never broke down, only ever serviced and I replaced clutch at 100,000. I went from Essex to Scotland in it, took it to Wales with my MTB, used it to transport my road bike to a triathlon (Pics attached of how practical it was!)

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Was fast enough for an 18 year old at the time, and was cheap enough to run for one too!

The RX8 was my favorite car though, mainly as a biker myself, it was the closest thing to it. High revving, cool sound and quirky. Just have to be sensible with them - i.e don't turn them off cold (until choke slows down) if you do have to, rev it to 5000 or something then turn off, so that it spins the old fuel out. Oil and filter replacement is a childs job and keep checking the oil (I didn't think mine used much at all really) and they are thirsty - but you can get nearly 100mph when just changing into 4th, nice. (someone told me.... (Definitely not me B) ) that you get about 145 top end).

S2000 purportedly pulls like a train to 130 too, but haven't experienced this myself.

I wouldn't track mine, it's just not a track car really.

The majority of cars on track days are not track cars, thats the point, learn the limits of your car in a safe (ish) environment.

I like the days where the sales reps are done working by the afternoon so take their rep mobiles round a track for a couple hours, or the guys who have been to the scrap yard the day before and bought something for 100 quid to spank around for the day then scrap it again at the end :D