Tame birds

We bought four pairs of 'end of lay' partridges (red legs) along with our ex-laying pheasants at the beginning of June simply because the landowners Mam likes to see them around; they're not for shooting. :ninja: She already has poultry and raises pheasants from those eggs the ex-layers supply, and is in her element tending these birds. Despite assurances from the suppliers that the partridge would die (hence their reluctance to sell us any) they are thriving, and have made different parts of the farm yard their home and even stroll into the conservatory on a daily basis in search of food.

Obviously we don't know if we still have four pairs as we haven't seen all eight birds together since their release, but there are at least two pairs still around.

The amazing thing to me is that this morning three of us plus a dog strolled through one of the fields and actually walked within three yards of one pair as they were sunning themselves on a mound of dry earth. They weren't bothered at all, and simply watched us walk by. Ex-laying pheasants skulk off the second we draw near.

Just an observation, but I find it wonderful to be able to get so close to, and appreciate, these gorgeous looking birds while alive.

even though I shoot, I appreciate the beauty around me.

Yep, it's a strange old world really. When some 20 odd pheasant eggs I retrieved from the wood hatched into around a dozen chicks, I couldn't believe how wonderful they were, and was struck by the hypocrisy of my actions in saving them from certain death only so I could release them as adults to shoot later in the year! I can admire the striking beauty of a cock pheasant in full bloom as it strolls through the grass, but am hoping for it to get airborne so I can shoot it.Very strange. :hmm: