Wildfowling Clothing

Keys

Halkon Hunt?

Strangely enough I have been meaning to sit down with a certain manufacturer who already makes something quite close for fishing. If you haven't used neoprene cuff you should, awkward on and off but no water up the arms even when you plunge your hand into water colleting the deeks, breaking a fall etc. What is needed is high grade bald neo though not cheap inflexible / abrasive rubbish.

Strangely enough I have been meaning to sit down with a certain manufacturer who already makes something quite close for fishing. If you haven't used neoprene cuff you should, awkward on and off but no water up the arms even when you plunge your hand into water colleting the deeks, breaking a fall etc. What is needed is high grade bald neo though not cheap inflexible / abrasive rubbish.

I think ive experience with the cheap cuff on floatation jackets, when wet they stay wet, not ideal !

I have the Herters wildfowl jacket and it great from cabelas. Money no object the cabelas three in one would be my fist choice.

Figgy

I have a herters and its a great coat, but like most of the American coats I have found its camo to light for the british marshes I have shot on. I t never let a drop in for the first 4 or 5 years, when it did I washed it with nik wax then reproofed it with nix wax reproofing spray and its good as new.

I have now gone back to single more mute colours.

I have a herters and its a great coat, but like most of the American coats I have found its camo to light for the british marshes I have shot on. I t never let a drop in for the first 4 or 5 years, when it did I washed it with nik wax then reproofed it with nix wax reproofing spray and its good as new.

I have now gone back to single more mute colours.

They might be light in colour. but once you get abit of mud on it all the camo looks the same. My jacket is a herters and has stood some serious abuse so far

I've found mine in shadow grass or some such blends in well with the long dry brush and grass on the marsh I shoot on.

I tend to look for stuff the same as my camo to hide in.

It's light when it gets dark that's when olive green looks best.

As said anything gets covered in mud and blends in.

Early season I wear long sleeved camo shirts to match colours then onto coats first my old green game coat then as the grass fades to holds and browns the Herters wading jacket is the buisness. If there is still plenty if green about I just squat down near fence posts and blend with the tall grass.

A good poncho is a must as all your kit and dog can get under it in heavy rain.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

We get KEELA gear supplied and working in Argyll in the woods is a big test for any waterproofs and it is good stuff.

The Munro jacket and trousers and bib and brace are best and I know the local mountain rescue teams use it as well.

The jacket has great hood and tail . I don't know about prices though.

Ex army gortex smock and bib trousers is all you will ever need. £60 for the lot is the most you will pay. I bought mine probably 20 years ago. Still have same smock but have replaced trousers twice. Just adjust layers depending on weather conditions. Rainproof, wind proof and breathable. If it's good enough for troops it will be good enough for you. Don't waste money on expensive gear that you will be worried about.

Best stuff I've got is us army and marines gear, marpat goretex and multicam, plenty about now after Afghanistan conflict, far better than any UK gear issued to our troops.

A lot of shooting jackets are just a take off from what the us milatary have.

I've had most of them now last one I got was from the states made by sitka it was a Hudson jacket, nice jacket but I would say they looked at the milatary stuff and bumped the price up.

Ex army gortex smock and bib trousers is all you will ever need. £60 for the lot is the most you will pay. I bought mine probably 20 years ago. Still have same smock but have replaced trousers twice. Just adjust layers depending on weather conditions. Rainproof, wind proof and breathable. If it's good enough for troops it will be good enough for you. Don't waste money on expensive gear that you will be worried about.

I had some ex army goretex bib and brace many moons ago; the ones with the full length side zip. They were excellent for lying prone while shooting. Sadly they eventually got ripped (barbed bloody wire...again) Didn't realise they were still available; will give them a google.

I had some ex army goretex bib and brace many moons ago; the ones with the full length side zip. They were excellent for lying prone while shooting. Sadly they eventually got ripped (barbed bloody wire...again) Didn't realise they were still available; will give them a google.

Usually available on eBay Scully

• 4 weeks later...

I recently left my job and was given £50 worth of vouchers for a fishing tackle outlet. I don't do so much fishing now and didn't know what to buy so eventually added an extra £50 and bought this.....

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fishing-suits/prologic-comfort-thermo-suit-2-piece-camo/40/yes/88774

It's arrived and seems pretty good.....certainly light weight. They are available in Go Outdoors at £150 so I think this is a good price. ( Go Outdoors operate a price promise so you should be able to get one from there at the same price)

Has anyone else used this Pro -Logic brand? Be interested to know if I've got a good deal or wasted £100!!

Hi P.F.A, I have just recently purchased the same jacket. It seems a very good well put together jacket, I do find if just generally out and about walking the dogs etc, that I have to remove the inner fleece, as it is way to warm. However I'm hoping that will come in very handy with the season fast approaching. I also like the neoprene cuffs, gives a nice snug seal around the wrists, ideal for keeping the water out, and drafts. I am yet to try just how waterproof it is, but im sure it will not be to long before it gets fully tested, cheers hh