goose shooting blind

weeneebs

Eh?

My question was perfectly simple. I merely asked why you want one of these blinds.

some of the places i shoot theres not a lot of cover where you need to be at times it will give me more options and turn a not bad day in to a good day u happy yours phil

some of the places i shoot theres not a lot of cover where you need to be at times it will give me more options and turn a not bad day in to a good day u happy yours phil

Motty was only asking a simple question :yes: maybe he was going to offer some advice,maybe a cheaper solution :/ BB

Motty was only asking a simple question :yes: maybe he was going to offer some advice,maybe a cheaper solution :/ BB

advice and solutions are fine whats aw the smug one liners he should have added a bit more to his first reply after all its about helping each other as i have in the short time i have been a site member i will take is time to thank the members who have given me positive help and advice on this post and other posts in the past your phil

advice and solutions are fine whats aw the smug one liners he should have added a bit more to his first reply after all its about helping each other as i have in the short time i have been a site member i will take is time to thank the members who have given me positive help and advice on this post and other posts in the past your phil

Smug? You seem to deduce so much from so few words.

Have you thought about making a layout blind? pretty easy to make from an old bivi bag,and will give you some protection from the elements and conceal you :good: and also get you in the middle of the decoy pattern :yes: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

Have you thought about making a layout blind? pretty easy to make from an old bivi bag,and will give you some protection from the elements and conceal you :good: and also get you in the middle of the decoy pattern :yes: BB

yes i did think about that option but i always get as much information ie cost availability suitability reviews form people already useing item also time taken to make on as i work 6 days a week so not a lot of time for my self all positive info much appreciated and it may become the option to go with thanks yours phil

I see nothing smug in Mottys posts he was simply asking a question, I do see a new member with a attitude problem though .

You issue can be fixed real quick without the need for any credit card details, Take an amount of thick PVC netting, a camping mat (if you are bothered about laying out on bare ground) and natural cover from the site (that could even be thin cut sod if allowed but take it from further away) or take a spade and dig a hole. Wildfowlers have been hiding under cut hay etc long before e-bay existed

Perhaps I too will get a curt reply for my offer of help but there are others who might read this also

As an observer I have to say' I also think you may have been a bit harsh on Motty..!! I think he was more inquiring as to what situation you may have required a layout blind for..? Inland or the Shore..?

Im assuming you are after one for Inland Shooting as I dont really think its the done thing or the practical thing for Foreshore shooting.

I agree with Kent' regarding the "Oldskool" approach and not the American Way.

I very rarely if ever shoot inland over decoys anymore' as i feel when something becomes too easy it looses its appeal.

I have shot Ducks and Geese in most possible situations with a Shotgun' and When i did Shoot inland on the stubbles I built predawn hides along the hedges and have lay out in a bare stubble on my back amongst the decoys covered with a straw Coloured camo net' using a decoy as a head rest. I had 300 canadas pitch in the field around me and where walking through the decoys and past me where i could have grabbed them by the paddles. I dont shoot them and was waiting for Greys which later arrived and i shot my quota.

I have also shot geese inland using round bales as hides and even just sat on my backside against a bale and pulled a net over my head.

On the foreshore or the brackish water just inside the seawall where i do most of my flighting' I just wear appropriate Clothing and stay still when Fowl is about.

If geese are in the air and heading my way I just lay on my stomach on the marsh and jump up when overhead.

For me' the American way is all to comfortable and easy' and people that are buying into are losing valuable Skills such as field/marsh craft ect eg' building hides,using available natural cover,Digging pits ect..!!

Maybe Im just getting old and stuck in my ways' but for me if fowling doesnt involve some kind of hardship or discomfort then I dont really feel as if I am doing The sport any justice.

Of course a bit of Comfort does not go amiss on occasions' but I like to keep it as real and as close to the traditions of the Sport as possible.

Most myself included' wear the best clothing as we can afford and are basically molly coddled as opposed to the fowlers of old.

Some may say Im being hypocritical as i use an American breed of Dog..So what..I use an Italian made gun but that doesnt mean I do it the American way or the Italian way.

I may wear American style Clothing but my approach to the sport is still the traditional Irish/UK way' the way it was done decades ago.

Another example is stone type butts' some may have seen them on Chris Greenes film on Lindisfarne. locally There are 3 or 4 of these types of hides still visible although they are now in Sanctuary ground.they where built around 50yrs ago and i have been in them as a boy with my father.

That all said' if you really want one then thats up to yourself' but at least consider making one if you get the spare time. For me its like when i made my own Decoys' success is much sweeter known you have Done it yourself..Something akin to catching a trout with a fly you tied yourself.

I have used a layout blind in Canada and they are indeed a comfortable sett up when goose Shooting inland' but as i have already mentioned it is all to easy and comfortable for my liking and not What it is about for me.

I will try and include some photos to show what I mean' I have shot my fair share of Fowl an apart from the Canada trip i never have used a layout blind.

WP_20140715_002_zps9557e9f1.jpg

WP_20140715_001_zps3d07a7e1.jpg

P1000211.jpg

Image0044.jpg

shootingphotos014.jpg

Image0078.jpg

shootingphotos013.jpg

A squance is just a hide built out of natural materials such as seaweed plied high enough for you to just see over it sitting down or else some sort of stone butt such the one supergoose mentioned it is just what was described to me as the ultimate wildflowers hide, as the ducks and geese think nothing of them they see them as a pile of stones or limb of sea weed.

Edited by strangford wildfowler

I just lie on top of a homemade board and jump up when they are close enough. Never shot geese inland so whilst can see the advantages ie low profile, easier than diggings pit etc never had the need. A grassed up sneak boat stuck in a reed bed now that would be a challenge.

boy i have been a bit quick to snip at motty going by the replys in his defence i am willing to put my hand up eat hummble pie and say sorry to himself and the other members involved i have taken all the advice given which is very much appeciated p/s monty is right in last post yours phil

Edited by weeneebs