blooming dog walkers...

Just been up to feed pheasants...a couple walking thier dog on the track towards the pen and I got a right dirty look from them as I waved to thank them for moving to the side as I rolled past...got further down and parked up got the dog out of the car and slung my auto over my shoulder in case Mr fox was hanging around and they come around the corner...I say hello and then the woman kicks off as soon as she sees I have a shotgun over my shoulder. Accusing me of nearly running over her dog and how another bloke who I passed on the track said the same thing (despite me having stopped as he and his dog went past me!), how I have no right to be there etc etc....I said as little as possible and said she was entitled to her opinion, I thought about giving them some pheasant eggs but then didn't want them to know where our pen was.

After feeding and watering the birds I discovered on the way out that they had taken the liberty of closing the barriers which are never closed just to inconvenience me.

I even had a walk around to try to find them to give them some fresh eggs to make sure we dont get any grief in future but couldn't find them.

Clearly despite living in the countryside they are not keen on country pursuits.

There's nowt as queer as folk I suppose...

Fed up of walkers who cant read maps or use compasses, close gates even when requested but most of all get shirty when you are nothing but polite. My house is 150 yards from the highway and many are already totally lost yet expect they can do 7-8 miles of open moorland and fell to arrive in the village :rolleyes:

They could have been 'townies', going for a day day out into the 'wilderness'. Or perhaps they have just bought a 'country retreat' without having the first clue about what comes with it.

I used to own a woodland in East Sussex, and the number of times I was given the evil eye - or worse - by some of the newer 'imports' to the area who were blatantly trespassing on my land in the first place was unbelievable.

I never made much of an issue about it, but ocassionally they received a verbal broadside that left them in no doubt what I thought about them. :whistling:

I have complete empathy with you all on this. People's ignorance is mind boggling....and their willingness to interfere in perfectly lawful activities just because they don't like it is even more crazy.

I was brought up to know the Country Code, 10 simple points that required no real explanation because it was so flipping obvious...if you look at NE's website it's been mucked about with and the nanny state explains everything in case it is all a bit stressful to be told how to behave in a society!! http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/publication/987819?category=38017

Ben0850 - I've even had a woman this spring say "actually it was the sheep that was worrying my dog"......no clue as to the gender of the thing with the lamb! Two days before I watched a couple of women with 3 out of control terriers pick up branches to defend the dogs from one of the tups. Then of course there are the people who want to introduce their dogs to the sheep off the lead..................... None of this anywhere near a footpath.

I'm starting to rant....................grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by LeadWasp

We've had problems with a bloke who lives on the boundary of of one of the farms I shoot. If he sees us out with the lamp he lamps us up and really messes things up.

You need to communicate and act together, if he is also a shooter. I do this primarily for spotting when its a poacher, all it takes is a call or text or even a signal

I think its best to walk away,because these people crave confrontation and they will refuse to be educated.

Agreed. There are trespassers where I shoot so I always bear in mind that they can always make the call and say they were confronted by a man with a gun who frightened the **** out of them!! And that then is the potential for real problems. Best avoided in my view.

The best advice I have read on PW was to scatter road kill, or stuff you have shot crows etc. around the area where they walk their dogs, when the dogs continually return to the stinking having rolled in said bodies, they will probably find somewhere else to walk.

Edited by malantone

while they don't cause me anywhere near as much grief, there is a woman about a half mile down the road from my perm who always runs her dogs off the lead, they always seem to end up in my meadow chasing or digging out the rabbits, she's never far behind but they take absolutely no notice of her.

Edited by Paddy Galore!

while they don't cause me anywhere near as much grief, there is a woman about a half mile down the road from my perm who always runs her dogs off the lead, they always seem to end up in my meadow chasing or digging out the rabbits, she's never far behind but they take absolutely no notice of her.

First train the trainer.

One farmer I shoot for says apparently the countryside just looks how it does because of nature not because it's been managed for centuries. This is basically how people with no knowledge of anything other than urban areas see it, they don't understand the work that goes on to help nature balance with farming etc or the benefits of shoot management and to be honest why would they? They have no interest as long as cheap meat keeps turning up in convenient packaging wherever they shop and they don't have the guilt of killing anything they eat.

I have to own up to being at least a little like this myself until I got into shooting big time a few yr back. I just wish I could educate the dog walkers, ramblers, etc like I've educated myself but it just ain't happening with most of them cos they want their version of the countryside not reality! I will now climb of my soapbox, good night all ;)

When you keep your mouth shut and keep pandying to them they think they have a god given right to carry on as they are. I start off overly polite to start by telling them there in the wrong and trespassing, your going about your legal buisness not like them, if that works great if not and they start being arsey they get the full hair dryer treatment.

I could it give a toss as to their feelings or who they phone, if your in a combine and came across fools like these you couldn't hide the combine so they wouldn't be scared or say they were, your unloaded gun is no different.

Don't be nice ball them out on sight and make them well aware of there folly, they won't be in a hurry to come back or start answering back.

Figgy

I agree (again) with Figgy, what is needed is high profile case of a shooting organisation taking trespassers to court as a symbolic gesture, if nothing else of the rights of shooters and their landowners. Worth making it stick by putting up signs at possible access points which suggest something such as 'Wildlife conservation area - keep out' or, 'Danger - snake and Slowworm habitat experiment area'

What becomes the 'norm' is impossible to change later. I have had advice directly from the police that carrying a rifle or a shotgun about your lawful business and on private land could never be construed as intimidation, just make sure it is unloaded and clearly unloaded for those who know how it should be done.

I had two dog walkers start having a pop at me while back and clearly stated "so that you don't feel threatened by my rifle, I'll show you it's unloaded and that the chamber is empty and the ammo is in my pocket" and showed them. I even went as far as taking the bolt out and holding it separately. This just quells the first issue of 'Oh my word, he has a gun'.

They seemed calmer after this and I explained what I do and why I do it and that even if they didn't agree with it - I have more right and permission to be here than them and also that it's not advisable to walk their dog on land they don't know or have permission to be on, especially with people shooting on it. I then explained the boundaries of the land to them again and recommended they cross over the road up the hill and find the footpath as it's a nice walk anyway.

If you are calm and acknowledge their feelings but tell them yours and are authoritative then the end outcome will always be better than causing a scene and shouting.

Fighting fire with fire will only end up getting out of control eventually.

In the early spring the shoot owner and I were out sorting out the covers. On a field a quarter of a mile away, which also contained one of our covers and had a nice covering of wheat, we could see a woman walking around in a big circle right through the crop with two big dogs careering all over the place.

My boss drove down and politely explained to her what the situation was. She was most apologetic and said she thought it was ok because she thought it was just grass.