First Gundog - Cocker Spaniel Puppy

Django

Yesterday we (very excitedly) went and agreed to buy our first Gundog. We have chosen a beautiful chocolate cocker spaniel bitch from a lady locally, and just wanted to share a couple of pictures.

I plan to work her on the small syndicate I am a part of, and also for pigeon and rabbit shooting. I am going to train her myself, so have spent the last few weeks reading every book I can, and watching every DVD anybody will lend me. Pick her up in mid august at 8 weeks and can't wait to get her here now!

post-67107-0-59722000-1405284424_thumb.jpg

post-67107-0-59179400-1405284450_thumb.jpg

I did the same thing last year. One of the best things I've ever done.

Hard work but very rewarding. I should have had a dog years ago.

My boy is a w/cocker he is a house dog that goes shooting part time.

So I don't expect too much of him but so far he has took to shooting

very well. He is mad for it. He had his first day working from a hide

with a few decoys on standing wheat today.

ATB. DP

With cockers I have found that it is necessary to keep one step ahead. Keep serious training fresh and try to take lots of opportunities to praise her and focus her attention on you otherwise she will find her own thing to do. A cocker can change its mind and attitude to the exercise is a heart beat.

I did the same thing last year. One of the best things I've ever done.

Hard work but very rewarding. I should have had a dog years ago.

My boy is a w/cocker he is a house dog that goes shooting part time.

So I don't expect too much of him but so far he has took to shooting

very well. He is mad for it. He had his first day working from a hide

with a few decoys on standing wheat today.

ATB. DP

Ours is going to be a house dog aswell so I am really looking forward to seeing how it all goes.

How did his first day go?

Curb your enthusiasm to get onto the proper training bit it will be a good while yet

Yeh I am only going to start with the very basics until at least 6 months. I have been trying to read up and learn as much as possible,however I have a feeling I am going to be looking for a lot of advice

With cockers I have found that it is necessary to keep one step ahead. Keep serious training fresh and try to take lots of opportunities to praise her and focus her attention on you otherwise she will find her own thing to do. A cocker can change its mind and attitude to the exercise is a heart beat.

Thank you for the advice. I am very keen not to let her get too independent so that she will always be keen to work

Treat the new pup as a dog not a child and take things steady. Look through pages of posts that read " i want to train the pup as a gundog but a nice pet for my mrs". The posts last for a few months then soon dry up. They have given up on the pup because it now rules the house and wont listen to a thing. Lovely cute fluffy pups are dogs. Nothing more nothing less. Treat it as a dog and take things steady.

Treat the new pup as a dog not a child and take things steady. Look through pages of posts that read " i want to train the pup as a gundog but a nice pet for my mrs". The posts last for a few months then soon dry up. They have given up on the pup because it now rules the house and wont listen to a thing. Lovely cute fluffy pups are dogs. Nothing more nothing less. Treat it as a dog and take things steady.

There is much sense in this advice. Personally I think it has to be a gundog first before it can then become a pet, gundogs can be pets, pets cant become gundogs if you like to think of it that way?

Enjoy it being a pup first and get a good bond with it, makes the training easier later, a pair of your old sweaty socks balled up and thrown for her to play with are great for a fun start. She will go for the rolling bundle as its fun without realising your already conditioning her to this for later, don't be strict with her its all got to be fun first and last.

Also an old sweaty work tee shirt in her bed will help her bond with you.

Figgy