Some airgunning questions

Richie092

I am thinking about getting an air rifle for mainly target and also some rabbit shooting. I am enjoying my clays but want more!

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with...

I am looking at the BSA R-10 MK2 in Walnut. Have read all the threads on here regarding the pro's and cons of it but the balance was tipped because it just looks so lovely.

What I'm not sure about is .22 or .177? Am leaning towards .22 as you get more shots per fill and the pellet "looks" more lethal for the rabbit shooting.

Secondly, I can't find a range near to me (Greenfields being the closest) that I can shoot it midweek. Any ideas? I am in between Rochester and Maidstone.

Lastly. Mod fitted version or shrouded barrel version? Would someone mind explaining the pro's and cons to me?

Regards

Richie

hi rich,

I owned the Bsa r10-mk2 with the bull barrel in .22 . it was as accurate as sin and have to be honest it was totally faultless, it didn,t miss a beat,

depending on what sort of distances your going to shoot I would personally go for a .22 for daytime shooting and a .177 for day and night shooting, the reason I say this is because it can be very difficult by night to judge distances and therefore I would choose a .177 over a .22.

now if you are just going to use it of a day then I would definitely go for a .22 due to being easier to judge distances in daylight,

both will kill rabbits because its more about shot placement than calibre,

I have always used .22 but since buying a new .177 wolverine b I cant believe how much easier my hunting has become due to there being no loopy trajectory at distances over 30yrds,

the choice is really yours bud , but if your using it for target shooting then it would have to be .177

also I could praise the r10 mk2 all day, the one I had was superb and as you say a stunning looking rifle with a performance to match, if I wasn,t buying the wolverine b then I would still have it in my collection,

I do prefer the bull barrel over the vc model just because I like the fact that the barrel was enclosed,

nothing bad to say about the r10 mate so good luck with whatever you choose but from what you have explained I would go .177 and bull barrel

atb Evo

For pure target work, it would have to be a .177.

For hunting, the .22 will impart a lot more energy into the target zone at normal airgun range e.g.35 - 40 yards, but the .177 is equally effective. It possibly needs more accuracy to ensure a clean kill, because it can pass straight through without imparting much energy, and it's easier to miss vital organs if the accuracy is slightly off, but the flatter trajectory make it simpler to deliver the pellet accurately.

The BSA R-10 is a bit of a marmite gun. If you get a good one, they're great, but a quick look at the BSA owners group forum will give you more insight into that one.

http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php

Shrouded barrels are for people with too much money, imo. Get a good moderator, like the Weihrauch, and you won't need anything else. The amount of difference that a shroud might make is minimal, although folks who have paid for one will obviously try to tell you differently. ;)

I would buy a BSA Ultra or Scorpion ahead of a R-10, but if you are going to spend R-10 type money, buy a Weihrauch HW100. :whistling:

Thanks Evo, you have reinforced what I have learned from my research so far.

Les, appreciate the reply. Unfortunately I really, really like the look of the R-10 so it will probably stay first choice. Will read the link now.

When in the shop we dry fired the VC model and it was surprisingly quiet. However we didn't fire the shrouded model. Does it still need a mod or is the shroud meant to do the same job?

Hey Richie,

I own a .177 mk2. It's the best gun I've ever owned! I've been down the daystate route, but this one is just more enjoyable. If you go for the shrouded version, you will be buying a moderator on top of it - that shroud is a chocolate teapot! I went for the VC model and you will be absolutely fine with that for any hunting situation. Since buying it, I've had it played with a bit and have replaced the mod with a Huub shroud. It's much quieter, but you really don;t need to get one with the VC, it's plenty good enough.

It did have a few reliability issues, so when I had a bit of extra cash I got mine tuned. It now has a more stable regulator in it and is very smooth. With that in mind, I'd look at buying one second hand, and with the money saved get it tuned by either XTX, Ratworks or John Bowkett. on average, to get the reg changed and have a tune it's about £200 - whoever you choose - but you'd save that much by buying a second hand non-tuned gun. A tuned R10 is a better gun than a non tuned one.

If it's not playing up then it's not worth a tune - it's just it can be a while in before the probs show up!

Mine is a hunting gun and love the flat trajectory of the .177 and have never found it wanting in energy down range. And let's be honest, when you have 170+ shots in a .177 gun, you don't really notice not being able to fire up to 200 with a .22!

You're right though, it's a lovely gun! you won't be disappointed :)

Edited by chrisjpainter

Cant fault my r10 mk2 vc .177 it is a fantastic gun and so accurate. the only thing that concerns me is scratching it when I am out hunting as it is such a nice looking rifle.

I have also just purchased a scorpion se .22 and took it out earlier for its first trial and I must admit it is nearly as impressive as the r10, one down side of the scorpion is the low shot count(half as much as the r10)

I don't think you will go wrong with either gun but what ever you decide I would definitely favour a .177.

To all the guys with the .177 if you haven't already give the jsb exact heavy Diablo 10.34gr pellets a go. Mine loves them and they seem to love rabbits too.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks very much guys. You have been a great help.

Yep, walnut definitely looks the best I will let you all know how I get on with some pics in the near future.

If anyone does know of a midweek range near Maidstone please let me know if not I'm probably going to go down the Kent Wildfowlers route and shoot on their airgun permissions.

Regards

R