canada geese nuisance

daytona

does any one have any idea on what to do{legally} with Canadian goose pests,I have a caravan on a fishing retreat in lincs ,this year we have got around 20 geese took residence on the site,most people are complaining to management but they are reluctant to address the complaint.any tips on how to move them away would be appreciated'''legally please,,, the main reason for the complaints is the amount of **** they are depositing,,thanks ,Daytona...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the caravans are occupied then your options are limited as I doubt the guests will be too chuffed if someone turns up with a gun.

Have you asked the management why they are reluctant to address the problem? They'll address it if revenue is lost due to people getting fed up of trailing through goose ****, but on the limited knowledge of the situation I would suggest they've left it too late, unless of course the geese turned up after the 'vans were occupied.

Discreet lamping with a moderated .22rf after dark? If the geese are on the lake they would need to be retrieved after being shot. Dead geese floating around wont go down well with holiday makers and their children, no matter how fed up they are of stepping in ****.

Best option in my opinion would be to let the management sort it; it's their problem.

If the caravans are occupied then your options are limited as I doubt the guests will be too chuffed if someone turns up with a gun.

Have you asked the management why they are reluctant to address the problem? They'll address it if revenue is lost due to people getting fed up of trailing through goose ****, but on the limited knowledge of the situation I would suggest they've left it too late, unless of course the geese turned up after the 'vans were occupied.

Discreet lamping with a moderated .22rf after dark? If the geese are on the lake they would need to be retrieved after being shot. Dead geese floating around wont go down well with holiday makers and their children, no matter how fed up they are of stepping in ****.

Best option in my opinion would be to let the management sort it; it's their problem.

Hi +1

This would be my option however I am not sure if we are allowed to use a fire arm certificate weapon on wildfowl that are classed now as pests I would advise that you checked as it could be seen as a grey area

Some one will be along in a minuite with the correct answer 😊😊

All the best

Of

Hi +1

This would be my option however I am not sure if we are allowed to use a fire arm certificate weapon on wildfowl that are classed now as pests I would advise that you checked as it could be seen as a grey area

Some one will be along in a minuite with the correct answer

All the best

Of

Cant see it being an issue all things being as you say.

A

hello chaps,thanks for your response to the issue, I already carry out rabbit disposal on the site but shooting birds doesn't seem to go down well.with most of the van owners even though they moan like hell about them The site management wont do anything about them they say that the vast amount of **** is not a health hazard.what are the regs regarding culling the geese out of season??? {if consented by site management} thanks,daytona.

I would have though shooting them under the lamp would be illegal as far as I am aware only feral pigeon can be shot in such a way.

hello chaps,thanks for your response to the issue, I already carry out rabbit disposal on the site but shooting birds doesn't seem to go down well.with most of the van owners even though they moan like hell about them The site management wont do anything about them they say that the vast amount of **** is not a health hazard.what are the regs regarding culling the geese out of season??? {if consented by site management} thanks,daytona.

It is perfectly clear and straight forward if the landowner wants them gone.

The general licence gives the authority if the condition of the licence is met. Public health is a given.

Two options

Use a shotgun - remember no lead shot.

Or use a firearm, but make sure you are conditioned for avian species or ALQ.

Most effect is when you shoot them on the ground, my experience is that they come back more often if you shoot them in flight.

You will only need to shoot one or two once or twice and the others will take the hint and clear off to a safer location. Then our wildfowling friends will be able to take pot shots at them in September for the fun of it. :/

Early morning is the best time before the caravaners are up. 5.30am at this time of the year you shouldn't have too many spectators.

If the van owners do not want them shot and the site manager is not worried about them then what is the point in you worrying about shooting them. Sit back and enjoy watching them.

Go against the wishes of the management or upset the van owners and you will be in serious risk of losing all your shooting on the site.

Edited by anser2