canada geese nuisance

daytona

From "Dispatching a deer thread"

Quote from Kent above,

"is this not basic stuff for someone who hunts with guns? I don't really understand why you don't already know if you shoot stuff,"

An interesting point Kent which you are unhappy to apply to people who shoot near water (another recent thread)or in other, difficult situations without your advice - apparently. You need to dismount occasionally. Snow on your eyebrows may interfere with your clearsightedness, sorry to be critical but you constantly invite it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You don't need to 'get me', you just need to stop being so damned pompous.

If you read my initial post I asked a question, I didn't make a suggestion. Do you, in all honesty, reckon the OP will go out and line up his crosshairs on a goose with a family having dinner outside their 6 berth caravan as a backstop? Really? As it turns out lamping geese is illegal (every days a school day) but shooting them on water isn't. Maybe it should be, but it isn't. I'm not condoning it, but I'm not condemning it either, unlike you, who has done it but is now condemning it. That's where the hypocrisy comes in.

The person on the ground is in the best position to make the call, and it is their responsibility, not mine and not yours. Like I said, you do it your way, and we'll do it ours.

Go skim some stones and see what freaky angles they take

From "Dispatching a deer thread"

Quote from Kent above,

"is this not basic stuff for someone who hunts with guns? I don't really understand why you don't already know if you shoot stuff,"

An interesting point Kent which you are unhappy to apply to people who shoot near water (another recent thread)or in other, difficult situations without your advice - apparently. You need to dismount occasionally. Snow on your eyebrows may interfere with your clearsightedness, sorry to be critical but you constantly invite it.

And it stands up pretty well and although covered up for the less intellectually challenged it basically means don't do dispatch unless you know a lot more than needing to ask were to place your shot. You know cross posting off subject isn't great. I don't see any link and no before you make further comment to try and link them no i shouldn't shoot at a deer in water with a rifle either its pretty much a basic

Just been to see a bloke who has 500 on his land and wants them moving on. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get the hint.

Did they all turn up at once all of a sudden like? It sounds a bit like it was a shock, they might need a cull and its very close to the best time to do it now, that said are they just present for a window in time in the summer because it offers perfect nesting?

And it stands up pretty well and although covered up for the less intellectually challenged it basically means don't do dispatch unless you know a lot more than needing to ask were to place your shot. You know cross posting off subject isn't great. I don't see any link and no before you make further comment to try and link them no i shouldn't shoot at a deer in water with a rifle either its pretty much a basic

Ha Ha, I dispatched a deer in a lake (from the bank) about 4 years ago that had fallen through the ICE and was in great distress, it was on one of my Golf Course lakes, all efforts by the greenkeepers to reach/rescue it had failed.

ICE, but difficult for some to believe it would seem, there wasn't a ricochet, the shot worked.

You still can't see can you, the view stated is that every shot is risk assessed and then appropriate action taken!

By the person on site, not somebody second guessing the situation and preaching on a forum!

Ha Ha, I dispatched a deer in a lake (from the bank) about 4 years ago that had fallen through the ICE and was in great distress, it was on one of my Golf Course lakes, all efforts by the greenkeepers to reach/rescue it had failed.

ICE, but difficult for some to believe it would seem, there wasn't a ricochet, the shot worked.

You still can't see can you, the view stated is that every shot is risk assessed and then appropriate action taken!

By the person on site, not somebody second guessing the situation and preaching on a forum!

Deer in a lake and was shot, no one could get in a boat and pick it out?

Was it a red stag?

does any one have any idea on what to do{legally} with Canadian goose pests,I have a caravan on a fishing retreat in lincs ,this year we have got around 20 geese took residence on the site,most people are complaining to management but they are reluctant to address the complaint.any tips on how to move them away would be appreciated'''legally please,,, the main reason for the complaints is the amount of **** they are depositing,,thanks ,Daytona...

Tell them they are in the country, animals don't have toilets they can use. Deal with it.

What an extraordinary answer.

An amenity lake at a holiday resort and you expect people to picnic and children to play in and amongst goose droppings.

No.1 Its a fishing retreat not a holiday resort read the original post.

No.2 If someone purposely goes to a park to play and eat with the family then you should expect to be exposed to these things. The goose droppings are not particularly dangerous, there are e coli and samonella present which is present everywhere in nature. E Coli is fouind in humans alimentry canal, some strains are dangerous than others but that is why your mother always told you to wash your hands before you eat and dont put things in your mouth you don't know where they have been.

Do you go to the local park and complain that pigeons have pooed on the park bench to the park keeper?

No.1 Its a fishing retreat not a holiday resort read the original post.

No.2 If someone purposely goes to a park to play and eat with the family then you should expect to be exposed to these things. The goose droppings are not particularly dangerous, there are e coli and samonella present which is present everywhere in nature. E Coli is fouind in humans alimentry canal, some strains are dangerous than others but that is why your mother always told you to wash your hands before you eat and dont put things in your mouth you don't know where they have been.

Do you go to the local park and complain that pigeons have pooed on the park bench to the park keeper?

Also it's 20 geese, not 50, not 100.

20!

Also it's 20 geese, not 50, not 100.

20!

Have you any idea of just how much mess that number can make? I fish two sites in mid/north Devon where there are less than that number on each and you can't even walk in a straight line without stepping in it. To sit or even kneel to fiddle with some tackle requires a major recce before you do so. Neither site require the use of wellies so you pretty much assured of depositing something in the car footwell.

Have you any idea of just how much mess that number can make? I fish two sites in mid/north Devon where there are less than that number on each and you can't even walk in a straight line without stepping in it. To sit or even kneel to fiddle with some tackle requires a major recce before you do so. Neither site require the use of wellies so you pretty much assured of depositing something in the car footwell.

Read what you wrote back to yourself.

In the winter when it's muddy do you not change to wellies or something else to go walking. Do the same when fishing in the summer.

Nature is such an inconvience to you, maybe we should eliminate everything so don't get your shoes dirty.

You sound like a big girl that should stick to shopping at the weekend.

It just seems like an excuse to shoot geese,we had a problem with around 50 Canadian geese on a local course fishery, 2 weeks using flags and rope bangers cleared them off.The residents in the area where notified when the bangers would be used and you would be surprised they fully supported it.

Edited by Davyo

Read what you wrote back to yourself.

In the winter when it's muddy do you not change to wellies or something else to go walking. Do the same when fishing in the summer.

Nature is such an inconvience to you, maybe we should eliminate everything so don't get your shoes dirty.

You sound like a big girl that should stick to shopping at the weekend.

I take it, then, that your answer is a 'no'. As the previous post indicates, elimination is not necessarily required.

Edited by wymberley

I can't believe that your view of a true countryman is someone who is prepared to sit and play on goose droppings.

I'm rather glad that, here in deepest Devon, we have higher standards than you !

Well from my yearly visits to deepest devon over the past 7 years, the people I know there they wouldn't be concerned about a bit of goose muck, actually I don't know many people that would be bothered by it. Wipe your boots off in the grass.

I take it, then, that your answer is a 'no'. As the previous post indicates, elimination is not necessarily required.

I live in a place with a large lake in a park in the middle of it, called Billericay.

The geese fly over my house and many others. There are plenty more than 20 on the lake and I have never heard anyone moan about the mess or call for a cull.

People come along and feed the ducks and geese. I am fully aware of the mess they make but people fish there, they have picnics there and never seen anyone have a cry up because of some goose droppings.