BMW / Audi / MB

NickS

I am looking to buy a new car to replace my Touareg. I no longer need a 4x4 and am considering a new C Class Mercedes, BMW 3 series (maybe the Grand Tourismo) and the Audi A5. I want 4 doors, 5 seats, decent luggage space and reasonable legroom in the back. Opinions and experiences?

Nick

(Also happy to hear from salespeople)

The standard merc c class is a bit plain, looks good with the amg kit. A5 with 4 doors looks strange, I like the look of 2 door coupe. My brother in law has a new 330d coupe. Lovely to drive and plenty of power. He swears by a 3series diesel and get a new one every 3 years, not had any major problems.

I think it depends what spec you are looking to buy as to what car is best.

This is just my opinion but if the 3 series gran turismo is the model I'm thinking, it is one ugly motor

Edited by SEshooter

I drive a BMW 3 series tourer SE, its a nice car and well fast enough (2.0 diesel 180PS). on the motorway and good A roads its fine but I thought for a long time there was a problem with the steering as it drags all over the road on uneven roads (I wasn't the only person to think this). Apparently its due to the low profile tyres and run flats.

Before this I had a Passat estate 1.9 tdi and that was lovely to drive and almost as fast and had allot more space.

As someone who loved German,

An Audi A3, A4.

Bmw 3 series, both petrol saloon and diesel touring with a Alpina B3s to top them.

The Mercs list as ML, C estate, E estate and SLK.

I would go Merc all day. I loved the Alpina, but mainly because it was something a little special, but the rest were just OK. The latest cars are boring like most cars seem to be.

The Audis tried hard, but didn't cut it. The best by far was the E class. Just a little more class, smooth, well made and solid.

I have a 55 plate c320 cdi merc and its a lot more car compared to the bmws we were looking at, 3ltr v6 diesel pulls like a train 6 speed auto and 45 to the gallon all day long so cant complain

Edited by 796

I'm a BMW guy, but have been in or driven enough audi and merc to make the comparison. I rate Audi the lowest of the 3. I don't like the interiors at all and the ride quality was just so-so. The autobox in the audi is quite jumpy, especially at lower speeds. I'd never consider buying one myself.

Between Merc and BMW, the comparison I like to make is that a BMW is a drivers car while the Merc is for riding in. The Merc has a bit nicer fittings and trim, the responsiveness of the BMW is what sells it to me. You'll have to drive both and see which is better for you.

Within the BMW lineup, as fister said the M sport suspension and run flat tires make a big difference. Our last BMW had both. When we got this one we did not get the suspension as the roads here are just too rough to enjoy it. It is great for the motorway as it handles like it is on rails, but going down small A and B roads was just too stiff. I like the run flats as you really can drive them with zero air pressure for quite a ways. We just drove an X3 for a long weekend that had the m-sport suspension and it reminded me why we (correctly) chose not to get it for what we drive.

thanks

rick

I used to have an Audi A3 Quattro which was a really nice car, now I've got a golf gtd but really miss the Quattro system. The gtd really needs 4 wheel drive to make best use of the torque available.

I took the new merc A class for a test drive and was really disappointed, felt less spacious than the golf, wind noise was terrible around the wing mirrors and the gearbox was really notchy compared to the dsg box on the Audi/VW.

I've never driven a BMW, but for me, for a family hatch car it would be the A3.

But as your looking for the bigger cars all that i can suggest is to test drive as many as you can, there isn't many bad cars made these days so it's whatever car you like best!

well...whilst 3 on face of it similar class cars I actually think they are quite different,all good though.....If you like driving and want decent mpg the 6 pot diesel bmw (325d/330d).If you want best ride CLS 350 was great.. if you are after best all rounder then the A5/S5. Owned both former,have recently test driven the latter.....very impressed, however by the time you fully spec the Audi it turns into quite a big number.....Maybe a 2012/2013 plate if a personal purchase is your answer.The BM 3 litre diesel engine is an absolute gem..and as well as 245 bhp does real world 40mpg......personally would not go back to MB...(until I am a real old ****).

Ye I have a full size spare.the Saab won't be for everyone but it suits me an second hand prices compared to merc/BMW for similar specs are unreal. I had a 3 series BMW an would say I prefer the saab.Mine has cruise control,climate control,parking sensors,sat nav,16 speaker Bose stereo all the bells an whistles all for less than 5k.

I'm on a BMW now and the driving pleasure, grip and ability to put the power down is far far better on a RWD chassis. My Audi A4 used to eat front tyres for lunch, you couldn't get away from a junction smartly without spinning the front wheels no matter how delicate you were on the gas/clutch. Ride wuality and interior space was probably better in the Audi to give it credit but the tyres are not a like for like comparison. I'm not loving run flats, the performance is superb grip wise from the low profiles but ride quality does suffer a little bit and the thought of having no spare is hard to feel comfortable with. As for winter driving, well I cant compare as we haven't had a bad one since I got it but the Audi wasn't fantastic although I expect the Beemer to be more delicate still. I would for the other 11 months of the year though have either a Beemer or a Merc though, I just prefer the RWD that much. Quattro......well that's a different ball game again and it would be hard to turn that down but I just don't think Front wheel drive dynamically cuts the mustard on a larger saloon car. I regularly drive a A5 as well and that just feels like a whale compared to my 3 series, very heavy dead steering and relatively small steering lock when manoeuvring too being FWD. Build quality on the Audis is very good, mine was a good car for the 6 years I had it, moretorquey engine mapping and small turbo was very responsive but larger BMW turbo give a lot more grunt if a little more lag. It needs a lower gear generally and drives more akin to a petrol than a diesel, its definitely more revvy. I think the audi and Merc interiors in terms of instrumentation are a little more refined, the beemer is a little basic looking although the overall styling of the layout in the beemer is more flowing, hard to say. My A4 was a very good car, but the 3 series puts a bigger smile on my face and I enjoy driving it more.

Probably should admit the M sport ride kit is probably the sole reason it has a harder ride but you don't get anything for free with Physics

I forgot to mention that the BMW is truly horrendous at the merest suggestion of snow or ice, on wet roads its certainly entertaining if you accelerate off a rounder bout a bit too eagerly. i will be going for an A4 Quattro next,

Thanks for the advice and opinions. I did think of a Jag but my daughter, the fashion queen, tells me that I am not old enough.... Same applies to Lexus. When I told her I was considering a Maserati Giblets she accused me of having a mid-life crisis. Being a lazy, goodfornothing teacher I have some time now to go and drive a few (I am not buying a new car on my teacher's salary before it triggers another debate!!).

I quite enjoy car shopping. The thing I hate is having to sell the old one, which is the best argument I have for leasing instead.

Nick

For the 2 weeks a year on average that we get snow. the rear wheel drive issue is not important. BMW have now make the x-drive available across teh 3 series range.

Merc has had some reliability issues in recent years but seem to have got past them now.

If you don't need teh space, a 320d is my personal choice. I bought an estate with 13k on, auto box and balance of service pack. 52mpg if sensibly driven, 48 if not. It handles superbly. If you want a bot of a hooligan, go for a 330d.

As i am in it 90% of teh time i went for the 3 series. Need more space- get a 5 series.

If we need to get all of us plus the dog , we take the Landcruiser.

They sell more 3 series than Mondeos for a reason.

Because society believes you need to better you're neighbours, get financed up to the hilt and own substandard German badges built by accountants...

if I were buying car (rather than choosing a company car) It certainly wouldn't be a BMW or Merc, not worth it.

Thanks for the advice and opinions. I did think of a Jag but my daughter, the fashion queen, tells me that I am not old enough.... Same applies to Lexus. When I told her I was considering a Maserati Giblets she accused me of having a mid-life crisis. Being a lazy, goodfornothing teacher I have some time now to go and drive a few (I am not buying a new car on my teacher's salary before it triggers another debate!!).

I quite enjoy car shopping. The thing I hate is having to sell the old one, which is the best argument I have for leasing instead.

Nick

You don't need to be old to get a Jag. You just need to be a bit of a cad! Try it, you might like it!