BMW / Audi / MB

NickS

All those German executive cars are utterly gay. If you're a completely unimaginative middle management drone they're probably very appealing in the corporate car park, but really!

If you want a good car, that's just a car, get a Mondeo or Skoda. Good value and utterly reliable. If you want to be slightly less predictable then a Citroen would be more interesting. A Subaru might be a choice if you still want to cling on to a slight wish to do something more interesting with your weekends.

All those German executive cars are utterly gay. If you're a completely unimaginative middle management drone they're probably very appealing in the corporate car park, but really!

If you want a good car, that's just a car, get a Mondeo or Skoda. Good value and utterly reliable. If you want to be slightly less predictable then a Citroen would be more interesting. A Subaru might be a choice if you still want to cling on to a slight wish to do something more interesting with your weekends.

A Citroen? Good god man. Dreadful abominations.

There is no way you can compare a Lemon with an Alfa. Dear me. But back to your theory on drones vs French rubbish. When faced with a 400 mile drive home and given the choice of a Citroen blah or say a BMW 330. Which would you choose? Be honest. It's easy innit? (ps I am not a Beemer fan. Had them and prefer other offerings)

I had an old BX, wonderful car, used to get about 600 miles on £20 of diesel in it about 20 years ago. Currently have a dispatch van which has been excellent for about 10 years so far. No worries. My brother is obsessed by BMW M5s and has 5 of the damned things from the current model to about three of the 20 year old version, and a couple of no M series 5 series. (he has too much money). When I've been in them I have been nothing but underwhelmed. Expensive Cortinas if you ask me. Why anyone would want a car with a boot is beyond me and why anyone would want a car that goes round corners at ridiculous speeds is a mystery. Bloody uncomfortable for passenger, that's for sure!

A proper car needs to be able to have dogs in the back, fishing rods poked through, ideally cheap to run. BMWs achieve none of these things. That said, I'm currently running a WK Grand Cherokee, so maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment? LOL

I would seriously test drive a jag there are a few models that might suit you.

For space you have to look to estate cars in all the ranges suggested. None are true five seaters. Mate has the five door A5 and it's very tight for headroom so is the xf jag. The E class met a are better but bigger than the C class which is small in back.

Three series BMW is just a no no for me far to ugly, the touring looks better, more practical.

My choice for a good family car would be a A6 Avant quatro with the 3.0 V6 TDI unit. Merc E Class estate with the 3.0 tdi again in all the models.theres a theme here V6 TDI are a peach of an engine the torque is super car territority and the mpg is great on a run and decent round town. Lovely v6 sound despite being diesel and rather rapid. Drive them over the 2.0 tdi and be impressed.

Petrol engine wise the RS or S Audi's take some beating unless your going to go full on M BMW at 4.0 V8 or 5.0 V10 units.

Try a Porche Panamera second hand.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Mercedes first

Audi second

Bmw last...

Mercedes has a bit more prestige to it in my opinion and ages quite well. I've had Mercedes cars for the last 6 years so maybe i am slightly bias

Audi has good build quality but no real prestige about them, they are a bit plain Jane after a year or 2.

BMWs are made of plastic and really don't age well. You'll probably see your old car 10 years later rampaging about a council estate or in B'n'Q car park doing donuts...

Audi all the way, currently on our 4th and 5th, the wife has an A3 sport back which does 60mpg is £30 a year to tax and has loads of room for the kiddy stuff. I have a new A6 Avant Black Edition, quick, smooth looks great, loads of space and supremely reliable. An RS4 next year for a bit of gun when I have sold a couple of guns. Never spent a penny on anything other than consumables (tyres,pads etc) even on the old Allroad I had. Votdpring Durch Technik :)

I am leaning towards an Audi. We used to have an A4 cabriolet which was one of the most reliable cars we have had. I quite like the A5 Sportback as it is reasonably practical without going for an estate.

The opinions are appreciated, thanks.

Because society believes you need to better you're neighbours, get financed up to the hilt and own substandard German badges built by accountants...

Do i detect a chip on your shoulder sir? :lol:

It's because they do exactly what they say on the tin. That fact that they sell more than Mondeos suggests that they are a more common car.

From a personal point of view, when i have bought mine ( and i avoided them like the plague for a while) i buy 2-3 years old, 1 owner, main dealer with a warranty and balance of service pack if possible.

Run it into the ground and pay in cash for the next one. My auto estate goes like stink if i need it to yet driven sensibly i can get 52 to the gallon.

If i had a choice i would drive my Defender all day but at 40k miles a year..........

• 2 weeks later...

A5 3.0tdi quattro, go for Sline trim level and ask for SE suspension.

make sure it has nav, mmi and if you can, get adaptive cruise. its bloomin great!

the 3.0 motor is a powerhouse, and actually gives pretty good mpg. i drove from cornwall to milton keynes and averaged 49mpg (and i wasnt hanging about)

bmw are un-inspiring although good to drive, mercedes build quality is shocking and are very plasticy inside.

and for anyone who doubts the prestige level of Audi, they came in on the number one spot for premium brand car sales last year by quite a margin from the next competitor.

but i am biased, considering i work for them..... :lol:

I looked in at the Mercedes dealership yesterday and was not impressed with their attitude or helpfulness. I had to hunt down a sales guy who gave me a brochure and vanished again. He gave me virtually no information about the different trim levels etc. Whilst I don't like them to be pushy, this went too far the other way. Maybe it was because I "only" want a C or GLA Class.

The Audi dealership next door was welcoming and straight away offered me a coffee whilst they sorted out brochures and someone to go through their different products. What a contrast - little wonder they are doing so well.

Nick