Best way to remove heavy fouling?

Wildfowler325

Acetone will take it out...keep it away from. Camo wraps , paint and plastics.

If you can't get pure acetone, nick some of the madam's nail polish remover, as it usually contains acetone.

Just soak a patch and run it thru the bore, followed by a dry one. Repeat until clean.

Stand the barrels in a sink. Block up one end by standing them on a cloth. Pour boiling water until they are both filled. Obviously be careful and use something to protect your hands. Hold for a minute or so and empty. WD40 to dispel any moisture. Job done.

Stand the barrels in a sink. Block up one end by standing them on a cloth. Pour boiling water until they are both filled. Obviously be careful and use something to protect your hands. Hold for a minute or so and empty. WD40 to dispel any moisture. Job done.

I discovered that that is a good way to remove lead too! I dont mean I was the first to discover it.....just in case any crows are about etc.

Iv done this before with my O/U but it my new auto in trying to get clean and the water will run out the gas holes.

Put your cleaning rod in a cordless drill and go at it till its gone. Make sure your wire brush is a good one though, I've found some to be pretty useless.

Had the same residue on my under and over. Made the mistake of using a cheap copper brush, got a bisely one much better fit. Then used parker hale 009 I think its called. Sprayed down the barrels. Left ot be whilst making tea. Then cordless and cleaning rods. I no this works as when I first got my gun I was not cleaning it properly, as I found out after a few weeks and a few hundred carts. So the plastic residue was properly bedded in.

Methinks that its lead fouling in there wildfowler, is it a Maxus barrel? Only ask coz mine fouled up terribly with lead when using fibre wads.

Anyway, I used the old style wire brush, the one made up of coils, when pulled out, massive flakes of lead were coming out on the following patch. Its quite aggressive, but no harm done, lead free....

You could also use a mix of hydrogen peroxide and cheap vinegar in a 50:50 mix.....this is messy and dangerous. ...firstly it will dissolve the lead and its converted into lead acetate. ...dont get it on your skin.! (Or the wifes carpet)

Secondly, modern barrels are chrome lined, no issues but dont get it on any blueing, as the vinegar is great for removing gun blue!