Best way to remove heavy fouling?

Wildfowler325

Do the brush in a drill thing, but the wrap the brush is 0000 or 00000 wire wool, that'll shift anything!

thats what i have been doing for years.....never had to use drill tho...i use "cabinate makers" wire wool wrap some around bronze brush ...dip it in gun oil and scrub....half a sheet of kitchen roll as a jag push thro in one go....then mop out barrel with a slighty oily mop....inspect from both ends......

RUBBISH....everyone knows that universal solvent is "mothers spit on a tissue".............. :oops:

lol absolutlylol...yuk!

Best thing I ever used is olive oil leave in for half hour then use a tight wad of kitchen roll always works for me

Dipper

yes me too...brill for muzzleloaders black powder and pyrodex too!

By the looks of it im going to need to get hold of a good bore solvent to help shift this.

What do you's recommend for a good bore solvent

I use Tetra copper solvent on my shotgun barrels, it's pretty strong stuff. If you get some then make sure you use it in a very well ventilated area or even better outdoors.

Run a patch saturated in the stuff through the barrels and leave for at least thirty minutes for it to do its job, then push through with a fresh patch, back to your wire brush, then repeat if necessary.

It looks to me as if it is sitting in the barrel in lumps, if it is I have had similar fouling on a much smaller scale on my o/u and what I used to remove it was this. I made up a tool by taking an old worn out bronze brush, unscrewing the metal spiral from the Parker Hale part then finding a suitably sized steel washer, just a little larger than the p/h holder diameter and putting a precision edge on the washer using wet and dry paper on a flat board screw this to the holder with what I believe was a BA threaded screw, fix the assembled tool to your cleaning rod and gently scrape away! Worked a treat for me, but use with care.