When to start retrieving

I know this is a topic which usually attracts lots of debate, I've got a 4month lab bitch, and she enjoys holding things in her mouth etc, I basically want her to be comfortable holding things in her mouth- but not get too bored of it hence I only do things rarely. Just wondering what everyone else's opinions are. Cheers

The lab pup I have is 8 months by 4 months he was running hard & chasing anything I threw for him & was starting to hunt for anything he miss marked. At 4 months you're playing with a dog & you're looking to make him realise the best fun is be playing with you.

What you should be asking with a pup of worth is what shall I do he keeps bringing me stuff, the answer to that is never tell him off for it and don't snatch. Most will bring you stuff even with no training, just be careful you don't untrain it .

What I want to know personally is what is it about Ladys shoes? Mine will steal a shoe from my daughters and their friends if they are left around and search me out to give a perfect delivery. Never has he done this with a fellas shoe and young teenage guests certainly score very highly on the shoe value scale

I think what you talking of is those who believe in total formal training starting around six months and retrieves stopped as soon as the dog shows it will pick stuff up as a puppy? They don't then start up till the dog has recall spot on and head up. Fine if you have half a dozen dogs kennelled up and your main interest is shows, displays and trails. For the average roughshooter / wildfowler / pigeon guy with only say two dogs that come in the house now and again that isn't going to work quite as described is it now.