Ear protection

raphael262

I shall be working with a gamekeeper over the summer and I own a pair of msa sordin eletronic ear protectors and love them but they are too clunky to carry working all day . Obviously if I'm going lamping or pigeon shooting for the whole day I will take those but if were working in pens and a fox appears We will have a rifle and a 12 bore with us and was wondering what I could take that are lighter or shall I just shoot the few possible shots atVirmin with out any hearing protection ??

Any help will be greatly appreciated ! 😊

Edited by raphael262

I use to use a pair of yellow rubbery cones which were fixed to a headband type thing, you could wear these around your neck and then pop them in whenever required. The problem with foam plugs and those christmas tree things is that you shove klack in your ears when you pop them in and out and that, invariably, leads to infections.

Here you go.

A single loud bang can affect your hearing. The little hair cells in your ear are irreversibly killed off each time.

The Sonic II are quite comfortable to wear for longish periods. Assume that moulded ear protection too dear?

As I spent quite a lot on the over ear type i don't want to spend too much and. I might have a look at CLA this weekend for some !

I have tinitus,mine was caused by a blow to the head not shooting,but believe me having a fighter jet ready to take off in your left ear is a tad annoying, during the day you can mask it with other noises around you, but laying in bed wishing it would just be quiet for a couple of minutes is not funny.i have always worn earplugs or amplivox as I do not want any more damage

Don't take the risk even one shot can cause tinitus,wear ear protection every time.

Take the shot , if the loud bang hurts your ears don't do it again .

I'm sure someone will be along soon with a risk assessment for you

I have serious hearing damage it was started (coursed tinnitus) by a guy firing a 223 rifle next to me without warning and without ear defence. 1 shot is enough you don't want tinnitus I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

For bad tinitus I sometimes leave the radio on at night!

Any hooo I got some things off ebay with the semi molded ear thing. Very soft and comfy. I keep them in the little container so they stay clean.

I got some Jack Pike things and it was like trying to ram a couple of tampons down my lug holes!

In desperation I use tissue paper! Better than nowt!

I've got moulded one from a company called protecthear provided by my work, they really are great and worth looking into.

We've just had some new ones moulded by the company that make cens, unfortunately they'll just be bog standard ones and not the top end ones. On the plus side it means my current pair can live permanently in my shooting kit.

I'd look at a pair of moulded if I was you even if it's just cheap ones.

Edited by bicykillgaz

After 50 years of shooting loud noises don't bother me at all . I'm now deaf in both ears . When I first started shooting and you wore ear protectors you would be considered a nancy boy . I now have the option of hearing the real world in full volume by wearing my Lemmon aids or living in the quieter world of somebody with a serious hearing loss in both ears . I mainly choose the quieter world .

Harnser

The employer has a legal duty of care for all employees so they should be providing you with hearing defenders of some sort. Even a packet of cheap foam plugs will do an excellent job of protecting your hearing. If you want a lifetime of discomfort and inconvenience, problems attending social events and having to repeatedly ask people what they said or have the TV on full blast then shoot without protecting your hearing. One shot can do it and a friend has recently had this experience. Irreversible and extremely painful hearing damage.

It is a pain having to miss the chance of an opportune shot sometimes but compared to the unpleasantness hearing damage brings I would poke up with it.

Always wear ear protection of some sort as hearing loss and Tinnitus is a life changer.

Having already lost my middle range hearing and suffering from Tinnitus I can confirm this. Irrespective of how it may look, wear something.

Napier pro9 can be hung round Your neck, and just shoved in your ears quickly if Charlie appears, seems a reasonably comfy compromise. Decent protection, lightweight, cheap.

Worth doing, used to be a bit apathetic about ear protection, now if there is any kind of background noise, I hear about half of what is said, good job I'm married, cos dancing up to women in clubs and having a conversation mainly consisting of "...eh? What?" would not get me any success!

If the rifle is a moderated .22LR then you won't need hearing protection but I wear over the ear Bisley cans for anything louder

Depends on the level legally I think is anything over 80dB requires protection at work and that isn't very loud at all..

Depends on the level legally I think is anything over 80dB requires protection at work and that isn't very loud at all..

From reading up it's 85dB which is quite a bit louder. I'd be interested to see how noisy my .22LR is - it's noisier than some being S/A but when I fit my bolt lock it's really quiet. Will see about borrowing some sound equipment

85dB sounds right I know my strimmer is 89dB on the label. With the symbol for hearing protection.

There is an iPhone app for spl pro kit is pricey the analyser at work is £800 and that's just a basic unit.

Infancy just put the app on and driving to work I was hitting 85dB with a very inaccurate measurement!

Edited by HDAV