Help! Anti (possibly) let our ferrets out!

Lewisj

So my buddy and my hunting pal is working at a site next my house and informs me that one of three of his ferret hutches had been opened by someone last night and the best working ferret 'del boy' has escaped! The lid of said hutch is made from heavy wood that my 9 year old brother struggles to lift so no ferret is going to be able to lift it!

Are initial suspicions are the anti next door neighbour who often harasses us when we are in his garden and almost always makes comments like, 'animals shouldn't be used to kill other animals' etc.

The Jill of his business has just had 9 kits and if that hutch had been opened they would have no doubt been dead by the morning. Whoever has done this needs a lesson in animal cruelty, not only have we lost a ferret that killed rabbits in the hole and then dragged them back out of the hole, he is going to probably be eaten by a fox or run over.

Should we report this to the police? I want to bang on the neighbours door!

Thanks for reading my rant PW!

Do nothing but go to the Police and register the facts. Do not expect them to do anything as I doubt there is any evidence but at least it is on record and then if it happens again then there is a trail of events.

I used to put mouse traps in food bins when I had someone at a horse yard helping themselves to my horse feed...... they soon stopped.

Most definitely stolen, I struggle to open the cage let alone a ferret push it open! More over both doors were wide open, it's such a shame because my pal treats his ferrets like his kids, I'm going to borrow a trail cam and use that for a few weeks to try to get proof but the trouble is if I show my pal who it is (if they're caught) he won't bother with the law ...

If your neighbour is to blame, he would only have opened the door and left it to get out on its own (which it probably did), I doubt he would have been brave enough to handle it.

Its my experience that escaped ferrets don't go far and will often come home, or be found in nearby gardens.

Ask around and search for him.

Its unusual to steal a ferret in July, they usually get stolen in the Autumn just before the Winter season.

Cheers for the replies guys, Del Boy was found having eaten a neighbours cats food and fallen fast asleep in the cats bed! He had however crossed the A48 and managed to not get ran over!

Padlocks are now fitted to the garden gate and the hutches aswell as a strategically placed garden rake!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Cranfield: would a humane trap in the garden, baited with rabbit work?

Sorry, I missed your post.

Leaving out an open carrying box usually works, a baited humane trap probably would as well.

Its very possible that nobody let out the ferret, they are great escapologists, especially in the summer months, when they are not getting lots of working exercise.