shotgun chokes don't match choke gauge

tsg

Hi guys,

Been a long time since I posted on forum...

I am trying to get into clay/game shooting and at the moment I am building up on theoretical side.

I have an Winchester 101 xtr older model and it has several chokes.

I bought a choke gauge out f curiosity and found that apart from cylinder, no other chokes seem to match the gauge, all being larger diameter varying in 1-2 size larger.

I thought the sizing was standard so either got duff gauge or my WinChokes (apparently browning invector would fit my gun) are over bored.

Any ideas?

There is no such thing as a choke gauge you need to measure the bore 6 inches from either end then measure the choke full choke being 40 tho 3/4 30 tho 1/2 10 tho 1/4 5 thou

Your gun will most likely been over bored ie not .729 (true 12 bore) it's more likely to be .740

That's why a choke gauge don't work it has to be bore specific

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter

@deershooter!

It makes sense! winchester 101 could be overbored. I know they are backbored according to Manufacturer, but that is diferent thing.

I tried the gauge out of curiosity as I said. I was under the wrong impression that the choke diameter is a constant, not the restriction.

This obviously makes the choke diameter relative to the barrel.

@bostonmick.

I wouldn't get hung up on chokes selection but I deffinetly feel the need to pattern the gun... That is onother thread.

At the moment I have fitted IC and MOD chokes for clay practice.

Thank you all for your help,

TSG

I found a chart on Nigel Teague's website which gives The Winchester (Winchoke/Invector) bore as ) 0.735in cylinder and Browning Invector as 0.727in cyl.

By my reckoning a Browning invector cylinder choke would give about 1/4 choke if fitted to the 101.

Teague do sell invector chokes sized for Winchester.

Hi As given to me The Guru Tony Morris

Winchester winchokes

Cyl marked Cyl

!/4 marked imp Cyl

!/2 marked mod

3/4 marked imp modified

full is full

As stated do not get to hung up on it Game shooting I shoot imp cyl imp cyl and if clay shooting just shoot as it is

Hi guys,

Been a long time since I posted on forum...

I am trying to get into clay/game shooting and at the moment I am building up on theoretical side.

I have an Winchester 101 xtr older model and it has several chokes.

I bought a choke gauge out f curiosity and found that apart from cylinder, no other chokes seem to match the gauge, all being larger diameter varying in 1-2 size larger.

I thought the sizing was standard so either got duff gauge or my WinChokes (apparently browning invector would fit my gun) are over bored.

Any ideas?

The only way to find out the true chokes of your gun or any gun is to pattern the chokes on a pattern plate. The choke is a percentage of pattern in a 30" circle.

The quoted figures printed in many shooting books is 70% pattern at 40 yards for full choke, 65% - 3/4, 60%-1/2, 55%-1/4 and TC-50%. These figures where worked out in the 1920's with roll turnover cartridges. With crimp cartridge you will find the choke is 5% tighter making full choke 75% at 40 yards.

With MC the size of the choke is different over fixed chokes. Fixed chokes have roughly 10 thou between chokes. MC it could be only 5% between chokes. this is because the choke tubes are tapered making a recess between the bore and the start of the choke. MC work like recess choke.

As for the choke gauge I would throw it in the bin.

The only way to find out the true chokes of your gun or any gun is to pattern the chokes on a pattern plate. The choke is a percentage of pattern in a 30" circle.

The quoted figures printed in many shooting books is 70% pattern at 40 yards for full choke, 65% - 3/4, 60%-1/2, 55%-1/4 and TC-50%. These figures where worked out in the 1920's with roll turnover cartridges. With crimp cartridge you will find the choke is 5% tighter making full choke 75% at 40 yards.

With MC the size of the choke is different over fixed chokes. Fixed chokes have roughly 10 thou between chokes. MC it could be only 5% between chokes. this is because the choke tubes are tapered making a recess between the bore and the start of the choke. MC work like recess choke.

As for the choke gauge I would throw it in the bin.

What is Improved Cylinder?

Surely, the difference of some 5 thou (I think you meant) between multi choke sizes has nothing to do with their design, but the fact that some clown introduced 1/8 multiples. If you take the different pellet quantity of a standard 11/16 No 6 per increase in one choke step (standard 10 thou) you will gain an extra 1/2 pellet per pigeon in the effective pattern area. Somewhat pointless. If you have two barrels, this is why having a two step difference in the chokes is better. Except, perhaps, for the much smaller pellets used for clays whereby a small percentage can mean a bigger pellet count, the only beneficiaries of these 1/8 increments are the manufacturers.

No, don't, they make good fishing weights.