N.Ireland

Dr D

It's nearly that time of year. Took the gun out yesterday and gave it the the once over. Anyone in N Ireland been out at the pigeons yet? I havent seen any posts. I tend not to shoot them on standing stuff unless I'm asked. However, I have a few fields of winter stuff that are near ready for cutting, so not long to go.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the Berretta semi out last Thursday. A field of uncut barley but badly flattened down by wind and rain. Under the trees is completely flat so it must be run-off from the rain and the wind. This field had areas of thick grass growing up through the barley. I kept an eye on this field and could see lots of bird activity. Walked it on Wednesday and decided to set up on Thursday. As I was setting up I became aware of a whooshing noise, looked up to see a huge flock of wood pigeon above me, so there's lots of birds about.

I had to put the decoys on flattened areas and had no luck for at least an hour, though lots of wood pigeons were flyingin smaller groups. Very frustrating to watch the birds land on the wires and settle into another part of the field. First birds killed at 11:00 or so, but the decoy pattern wasn't producing settling birds but what it did produce was birds flying into the trees above me to have a look. I had the best days sport shooting the birds coming into the tree above me. One thing I was not happy about, was the birds,shot clean, but falling into the barley still standing. I could not retrieve about 4 birds. Finished at 2:30 and picked up 23 wood pigeon, no feral and no crows. And I lost me glasses.

Just back from having a scout. Came across a field with three strong flight lines and approx 600 or 700 hundred on the stubble. Slight problem is that it is strictly no shooting. So off I went for my annual pilgrimage to the landowner to try my luck. after the pleasantries I received the same answer. "I dont like the shooting." Everything year they hit that field. Now Im sitting in the house wishing next weekend would hurry up, because three fields down the road from that one will be cut. With any luck they will head for that.

I'll hopefully get out in August. Can't wait!

Aye I'll second that, its been a while since ive been out with the shotgun so me thinks a wee trip down to hallow farm might be in order.

Shot a couple of magpies and crows with a friends air rifle the other day.

Can't wait to the season starts for the ducks and geese!!

Roll on August and September! !!!!

Your bound to have stubbles down your way strangford now, the winter barley is two weeks earlier than last year. Id check my fields now if were you. Also its been great breeding year, there are loads about the place.

Edited by Dr D

I was out today. On 3 occasions I went to fields I had been watching to find other shooters there. Anyway like I said last year I would never set up beside them as I hated it when some other tool did that last year.

Ended up in a field of laid barley for a couple of hours & shot 13 pigeons & 2 crows.

Your bound to have stubbles down your way strangford now, the winter barley is two weeks earlier than last year. Id check my fields now if were you. Also its been great breeding year, there are loads about the place.

Aye there quite a few cut barley fields around but all of the stuff thats been cut has been shot to the max already there loads of late barley in this year so it will be end of august before some of it is cut, also waiting for a couple of big rape fields to be cut thats when I will do some pigeon shooting.

There is quite a few pigeons around this year I have the shooting rights to a large wood and its chock a block with pigeons.

Many pigeons down your way DR.D and out of interest down you shoot for any estates as im doing quite a bit of beating in this coming season and have been given the shooting of vermin on a syndicate which is rather large.

Quite a few about here strangford. I dont shoot any estates. When I did the vermin shoots were never that successful. Plenty of birds but it only takes one idiot to start shooting high and its ruined. Also you need wind. Lots of it! Ollie. I agree. This is the silly season for pigeons. The birds are young and daft and every idiot with a gun is out. I watched a boy yesterday in a field just cut. He was at least a hundred yards off the flightline, which was obvious. So, the birds werent committing. Instead of moving he started blasting away at the 100yarders. Too many Digweed videos im afraid! Not helped by the fact that he couldnt shoot for toffee. Roll on the winter I say when they are either off to a pheasant peg or in the house in case they get wet. Im not a big fan of august and september, although I like getting out after the break. Smaller bags in the winter, but the sport is in my view at its best in a cold december day.

Here. I just went out for a noisy at field round the corner that was cut this week and seen a pure white woodpigeon. I never seen one like that before. Totally white except for the dark bar along its tail.

Interesting Dr.d who make a good ornament if it was stuffed go shoot it I would

Got out again today on stubble barley. Loads of wood pigeon about ......very wary though. I set up in a field with some houses nearby so I was real careful about muzzle direction. The hide poles are the best way to control this. Steady birds all day but not an intense day. I picked up 35 woodies by 3:30 cos I had shot my last cartridge! I used a half choke with GB 6's. I think I could squeeze one more day out of this field...lots of guys shoot this field because it's near Belfast and Lisburn. I've never witnessed any silly behaviour when I'm out, but I'm sure I took impossible shots when I was young.

35 woodies is good going up this end same as yourself I shoot round Lisburn and Iam from Belfast a lot people shooting same fields so pigeon are very wary. And yes strangford I will be shooting strangford this year

I qouted this post earlier and it appears the text has not worked so I will try again.

Are you a member of one of the clubs or did you get a private permit to shoot the shore? Also did you shoot the lough last season it was pretty poor down the lower part of the lough last year very few birds around?

Weldone Dr.D is most of your shooting down near Banbridge directions as you always seem to have lots of pigeons unlike round here?

Here you go. Not a great photo, because I took it from my phone. Strangford, as we discussed before, I shoot all over the place including your neck of the woods. This field only had a dozen birds on it when I arrived. But I knew they were using it late afternoon. There are plenty of birds about. You just need to watch for them in the air, not on the ground. I know lots of people who are looking for fields with hundreds of birds on them. But sometimes pigeons dont work like that.

post-2557-0-61898900-1406960492_thumb.jpg

I went to a field yesterday with my mate, it was laid wheat. We got set-up for about 12.30pm & packed up at 6ish. We picked 60 pigeons but we shot about 85 total. We also shot about 40+corvids including 8 grey crows.

The birds were still going into the field when we left. Some great shooting was had as a lot of the birds were flighting elsewhere. I hate not picking 20+ birds but we managed to drop a lot on the laid patches.

4424B05D-BAD2-4CDF-BA92-CBA93A0717FD_zps

64A35800-4959-42B6-98BF-599A876FCEFC_zps