N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy was out this afternoon shooting on some stubble that had been cropped. Joined him for the last hour, picked up 73. No pics this time sorry. I am watching another field for saturday that was cut last week. The birds are building up nicely, so provided nobody bothers them between now and then it should be good, seems to be plenty about this year. Only problem is the beechmast. There is alot. Hope it doesnt fill up too much. Otherwise I will be wishing for an early and cold winter too push them out of the woods. In the meantime, make hay while the sun shines!

im off to fermanagh in a few hours for the weekend, to shoot at various vermin. tonight i'll use the Ruger 10/22 for a spot of lamping at rabbits. Have only done it once recently and was impressed at how the eyes reflected by hand torch (300 lumens), ive only seen it on video clips till now. I took 5 rabbits in 2 fields on a stalk around them last month. Saturday will be pigeons on a meal shed with the air rifle and then a while in the hide for corvids with my mossberg pump. I'm new to decoying but see that it works at pulling them in from their route to the cow sheds. Average about 15 crows for 4 hours, which is 15 more than I ever got walking fields!. now that I have got lucky with permissions via friends Im considering investing in a whirly or flapper. I see pigeons about but its mostly crows that are the pest where Im heading , close to the cowsheds / feed stations. looks like a wet one this weekend so i'll bring my waterproofs and gun oil this time.

Just back in home, after a short mornings session on the pigeon.

Set off this morning in the hope of a few as we all do, and found a few on rape stubble, so set the hide up and deeks out and I was surprised that there was quite a few about, it wasn't long before I had my first shot and I missed and to be honest I had a shocker of a morning I had one pigeon for 23 shots :blush: an absolute shocker of a morning and if I had of shot better I could easily of had a 20+ bag, but as the morning's went on there was quite a few other shooters out which made the birds very skittish and they all went to sit up and when the where our vacation the where very wary of the deeks.

So an absolute shocker which was my fault dog preformed exactly as wanted oh yes and my dad had some of the best laughs he's had in a while :lol: he only had one shot and killed the bird stone dead.

Total 2 birds for 24 shots

Things can only get better ???

I recon your dad removed the shot that's why he was laughing , good job you got one with your 24th shot , still poor but it made your average 1 in 12 instead of 1 out of 23..........Back to the drawing board Mr Strangford wildfowler :lol:

Not back to the drawing board more concentration next time that's all that needed I was getting my lead all wrong, and it doesn't matter to me how many I shoot just that I have a good time out there enjoying what I love to do and if I shoot one or more makes it all the better.

Come on the kids only 15 or something really should be giving him abit of encouragement. Not slating his kill ratio to be fair to him he's on here tellig the truth a lot wouldn't :-@

Cheers mate

Come on the kids only 15 or something really should be giving him abit of encouragement. Not slating his kill ratio to be fair to him he's on here tellig the truth a lot wouldn't :-@

He knows I am only pulling his leg , if he is that young and he needs any help hes only got to ask or send me a p m, pity he isn't over hear as I would be only to happy to take him out with me a few times, last thing I want to do is to discourage a youngster.

Just back in home, after a short mornings session on the pigeon.

Set off this morning in the hope of a few as we all do, and found a few on rape stubble, so set the hide up and deeks out and I was surprised that there was quite a few about, it wasn't long before I had my first shot and I missed and to be honest I had a shocker of a morning I had one pigeon for 23 shots :blush: an absolute shocker of a morning and if I had of shot better I could easily of had a 20+ bag, but as the morning's went on there was quite a few other shooters out which made the birds very skittish and they all went to sit up and when the where our vacation the where very wary of the deeks.

So an absolute shocker which was my fault dog preformed exactly as wanted oh yes and my dad had some of the best laughs he's had in a while :lol: he only had one shot and killed the bird stone dead.

Total 2 birds for 24 shots

Things can only get better ???

At least you found some birds. I didnt get out today till 4pm. Couldnt find a thing moving. Shot 9 pigeons and a couple of crows and was back in the house by 6pm. Rubbish, but I missed the rain. You stick at it strangford. You have time on your side.

I got out this morning. Found a field of laid barley with birds on it, but they never really returned in numbers. Shot 15 & then moved onto a sheep farmer who was having corvids eating his sheep feed; shot 50 plus corvids in bout 2 hours. Not a bad day.

I got out this morning. Found a field of laid barley with birds on it, but they never really returned in numbers. Shot 15 & then moved onto a sheep farmer who was having corvids eating his sheep feed; shot 50 plus corvids in bout 2 hours. Not a bad day.

Thats interesting ollie. Our birds behaved the same. All up and disappeared. Usually when the barometer is dropping the pigeons are keener, but that didnt seem to be the case yesterday. Strange, but they definitely were not flighting about in numbers in my local area. I didnt have time to go further looking for them. Too be honest if you had of asked me on thursday, I had three choices and would have expected at least a bag of sixty. Hardly a bird on them yesterday and little movement. Go figure.

Thats interesting ollie. Our birds behaved the same. All up and disappeared. Usually when the barometer is dropping the pigeons are keener, but that didnt seem to be the case yesterday. Strange, but they definitely were not flighting about in numbers in my local area. I didnt have time to go further looking for them. Too be honest if you had of asked me on thursday, I had three choices and would have expected at least a bag of sixty. Hardly a bird on them yesterday and little movement. Go figure.

I didn't go far looking for birds either. If I find a field with a little potential on a Saturday I'll go to it, because there are so many fella's out shooting on Saturdays. I'm off on Tuesday, should be a bit more pieceful then. 4 weeks today and Junior is due, need to get as much shooting as possible done :lol:

I didn't go far looking for birds either. If I find a field with a little potential on a Saturday I'll go to it, because there are so many fella's out shooting on Saturdays. I'm off on Tuesday, should be a bit more pieceful then. 4 weeks today and Junior is due, need to get as much shooting as possible done :lol:

Good luck ollie. I hope he or she is sleeping by the time the woodcock arrive. Prepare for exhaustion!

He knows I am only pulling his leg , if he is that young and he needs any help hes only got to ask or send me a p m, pity he isn't over hear as I would be only to happy to take him out with me a few times, last thing I want to do is to discourage a youngster.

I know your only messing marsh man, I got a good riveting from my da and older brother ( older brother is a extremely bad shot so don't know what he wa flagging me off for) is all good fun at the end of the day.

I know your only messing marsh man, I got a good riveting from my da and older brother ( older brother is a extremely bad shot so don't know what he wa flagging me off for) is all good fun at the end of the day.

Glad you took my post as intended, sometimes our sense of humour is not every bodys taste, but like one of the other chaps said time is on your side and things will get better . Try getting your decoy pattern right to make the shooting a little bit easyier until you can take on the harder ones but the main thing is to keep at it and I am sure you will see a big improvement. All the best and good luck for the new wildfowling season.

Glad you took my post as intended, sometimes our sense of humour is not every bodys taste, but like one of the other chaps said time is on your side and things will get better . Try getting your decoy pattern right to make the shooting a little bit easyier until you can take on the harder ones but the main thing is to keep at it and I am sure you will see a big improvement. All the best and good luck for the new wildfowling season.

Thanks marsh man :good: i know what your saying about the pattern but it was fine I had birds committing from quite a distant it was all down to my bad shooting also when we got home we ( me and dad) discovered that I needed an extra half inch on the the stock dad told me to stop growing as I'm choosing him a fortune with new shooting clothing and now a recoil pad or some other form of extending the stock :lol: also this evening I'm picking up a new miroku sporter so I'll see how that goes.

Cheers marsh man have a good one mate

Had a bit of a problem today. I found the birds on 2 big fields of rape stubble. I watched, picked the spot, set up the magnet and about 15 shell decoys to get going. Then the problem arose. The couldn't get the birds walked off the fields! They leap frogged around the fields about 50 yards in front. I walked the perimeter of both fields trying to put them off until I got back to the hide again.

I only had about an hour so I broke the cardinal rule and settled in to shoot with those birds still closeish.

You can guess the rest I'm sure. Most birds decoyed to the real ones and at my first shot, they all cleared off. They did return, but stayed well clear! As I said I only had an hour, and left with 2 pigeons (for 2 shots- sorry Strangford, I couldn't resist!)

I'll be back before the week is out, but will be there early morning before they arrive.