N.Ireland

Dr D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video again Ollie. You clearly know what you're at. I took the chilli cam to the lough this morning - got more crows than ducks.

I'm going to have a go at editing - what software do you use?

Cheers fella. I was out this morning decoying but not much about.

I just use windows movie maker. It doesn't give the best results, but it is very easy to use. I'm sure there are better programmes out there.

I was out yesterday morning. Seen absolutely nothing worth talking about. Very strange! Around 4pm I noticed a line of birds heading onto stubble. Strictly no shooting. Useless! I just refuse to believe they are in the woods, but this is the second week in a row with a blank, and the last birds I shot were on a field between two woods. When i opened the crops they were full of beech nuts. At 5.30 yesterday I eventually came across a couple of hundred on a field of wheat that had been cropped for silage. When I managed to track the owner down it was too late. Maybe they will hang around till next weekend. Pretty depressed, having a bad run. Hope it changes soon. I was thinking or going further afield, but doesnt seem any of you guys are getting much either. So I might just sit tight and save diesel. I have a couple of fields getting cut this week, dont think it will make much difference. But you never know.

Thanks Ollie. I used movie maker too. Pretty easy to use.

This is my first effort and a bit amateurish! The most prominent thing is my hat!

I ended up with 1 mallard, 1 teal, 1 crow and 10 Jackdaws. The crows fly to our pheasant pen to feed on the pellets. They are aggressive and chase the saft pheasants away! We take any opportunity we can to lower their numbers - we are feeding thousands of them.

Good video, & good shooting. Its nice to see something different like the duck shooting.

Love the sound of the pheasants at first light. We're having bother at our pen at the moment with crows stealing the feeding, so got a lot of dead ones hung up today.

Keep the videos coming. Nice dog work too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A month has passed us by and not a single report from NI. Is anyone seeing or getting much? I am gonig for a scout this morning. Still not hopeful. Its like they disappeared at the end of september. I am not even seeing numbers in the woods. Very mild weather isnt helping and no reports of migrants. I did hear reports of birds on fields near Newry. But the thought of a wild goose chase isnt appealing. Has anyone seen our elusive quarry.

Plenty of rabbits, but what would you do with them? Too early for the woodcock. I prefer to wait till the cover has died back. I am getting the odd duck. But overall, its pretty poor at the minute.